Luggage lockers at LAX

Kinkacruiser

Next year we have a 24 hr stopover in Los Angeles. The flight from Anchorage arrives near midnight and our flight to Australia leaves around midnight the following day.I see there are many hotels withing a mile or so of the airport, but I'm not aware if they will look after our large cases until we are ready to check in for our flight the following evening?

It would be easier if we could leave these suitcases at the airport before we leave forthe hotel.

Another point -what time is a late check-out generally or is it better to book for 2 nights and leave early?

Thanks for your input.

Next year we have a 24 hr stopover in Los Angeles. The flight from Anchorage arrives near midnight and our flight to Australia leaves around midnight the following day.I see there are many hotels withing a mile or so of the airport, but I'm not aware if they will look after our large cases until we are ready to check in for our flight the following evening?

It would be easier if we could leave these suitcases at the airport before we leave forthe hotel.

Another point -what time is a late check-out generally or is it better to book for 2 nights and leave early?

Thanks for your input.

Unfortunately there is no luggage storage at LAX, manned or otherwise. Big, big gap in their business plan.

All the LAX area hotels have free shuttles and all will hold your bags until your flight the following evening.

Usually late checkout is no later than 3 PM but you might be able to ask for a "day rate" for the afternoon of the departure day. All the hotels are well aware of the needs of late-departing guests.

Usually you can check your bags with the airline around 3-4 hours before flight time, but this is airline-specific. Contact the transpacific carrier and ask what their policy is for LAX. They MIGHT allow you to through-check the bags from Alaska (i.e. hold them overnight at the airport) but personally I would be hesitant to do this.

Check the LAX website but I doubt LAX, or just about any U.S. airport has unmanned bag storage.

Just for reference, SEA has manned luggage storage. Perhaps due to Seattle's gateway to/from Alaska (or for the tourists who fall in love with a salmon at Pike Place Market), they also provide refrigerated/frozen storage services.

As for the OP, my suggestion is to arrive late at night and take an airport shuttle to your hotel. In the morning, one of the party takes the shuttle back to the airport and picks up a rental car. Now, you can have a day of touring in LA, have a nice dinner somewhere other than the airport or airport hotel (many nice places along the ocean), then return the rental car and check in for your flight later in the evening. This way, no overnight parking charges, yet you have the car while you're awake.

Just a thought.

I suggest the LAX Hilton. They are reasonable and offer a day rate of around $80 that allows you to stay in the room until 6:00 pm. They have a free shuttle to and from LAX (tip the driver for handling the bags). They also have a coin laundry room on site. There is a nice health club and a pool--didn't use the latter so can't comment on it. Rooms were super clean and fresh, I have stayed there a couple of times and would stay again without hesitation.

Check the LAX website but I doubt LAX, or just about any U.S. airport has unmanned bag storage.

I'm not sure how you plan on getting around the L.A. area for your day there but it might be easier to rent a car for the day and keep your bags with you.

Lots of US airports offer luggage storage. For future reference, they do at MIA, LAX, SFO, HNL, MSP, SAN, SEA, ANC, etc. Some are operated by independent contractors.

Lots of US airports offer luggage storage. For future reference, they do at MIA, LAX, SFO, HNL, MSP, SAN, SEA, ANC, etc. Some are operated by independent contractors.
There is an off-airport service at LAX - you phone them, wait for them to arrive at your terminal (because of the design of most of LAX's separate terminals, this is a somewhat bleak experience), give them your bags, then phone them when you're returning, meet them at the airport, etc. In addition to being very time consuming, the costs (which include a pickup and drop-off fee as well as the actual storage) are quite high by comparison to other airports' (on-site) services.

It's a hodgepodge, though. For example LAX, SAN and HNL luggage storage is provided by private, offsite companies. SFO is also privately operated (high minimum charge based on 24 hours), but the physical storage is on-site. MSP has lockers behind security.

So the point is to check the airport's website for the latest info.

Just a historical note- LAX, like most airports, had coin lockers in the public areas. In 1974 a large locker bomb in T2 exploded, killing 2 people and injuring dozens. All lockers at LAX were quickly removed, and eventually re-installed behind security. LAX administration remained very wary and 9/11 resulted in elimination of all on-airport luggage storage.

As you said there are many hotels near LAX. I know that there is a Travelodge (on century blvd) that offers daily rates for flyers with long layovers, can't remember the rate.

Although, it might be cheaper to just rent a car for the day.

And those are typically off-airport services. Need to account for the time that involves. And be sure of their hours. That is not the same as being able to take your bags to a locker or storage service in the airport. You would still have your valuables with you, of course.

And those are typically off-airport services. Need to account for the time that involves. And be sure of their hours. That is not the same as being able to take your bags to a locker or storage service in the airport. You would still have your valuables with you, of course.

Yes, that is why I mentioned that some storage services are run by independent contractors.

The Four Points LAX is my hotel of choice because they offer the 24 hour check in policy. It is so frustrating when you may not arrive till midnight, but then are asked to check out by noon. The 4P LAX allows you to check in at your specified time and then you check out 24 hours later! I have done this on several occasions.

http://www.fourpointslax.com/hotel-by-lax

Edited by nolatravelgirl