First Time From Galveston, What Should I Know Before I Go?

NayaSantaFe

I usually sail from Florida and this is the first time we will be sailing from Galveston. We already have our hotel booked and we will be driving our own car, so we will be parking at EZ Cruise parking lot. Is there anything that I should keep in mind or watch out for while sailing from Galveston? Anything that might be different from Florida ports?

Appreciate all your advice!

Your alcoholic beverage choices will be limited until you leave Texas waters. If you're on Carnival, check their dedicated forum, but I believe there is some sort of restriction on using their drink package on the first day.

Your alcoholic beverage choices will be limited until you leave Texas waters. If you're on Carnival, check their dedicated forum, but I believe there is some sort of restriction on using their drink package on the first day.

I just found an article on the pros and cons of sailing from Galveston vs Houston (which is no longer being used as of a couple of months ago) and it said that you reach international waters 30 minutes after sailing from Galveston. It would take 2 - 3 hours if you were sailing from Houston.

I just found an article on the pros and cons of sailing from Galveston vs Houston (which is no longer being used as of a couple of months ago) and it said that you reach international waters 30 minutes after sailing from Galveston. It would take 2 - 3 hours if you were sailing from Houston.

Significant difference!

How is the luggage drop off process? We are planning on dropping off our luggage and walk around The Strand for a while, is this a good idea?

Texas charges duties on alcohol and cigarettes purchased on a cruise. There will be a person asking if you are bringing either back with you.

How much is the duty? I'd like to pick up some Sheridan's while on board. Some friends just returned from a RCCL cruise. They bought 2 bottles of Sheridan's, but no one ever collected any duty from them at the cruise terminal, even though it was indicated on their customs form. Is it paid when you purchase it on board?

How much is the duty? I'd like to pick up some Sheridan's while on board. Some friends just returned from a RCCL cruise. They bought 2 bottles of Sheridan's, but no one ever collected any duty from them at the cruise terminal, even though it was indicated on their customs form. Is it paid when you purchase it on board?

I do not know how much the duty is. Last time we went through Texas we opted to bring nothing back that required duties. After you pass US Customs there is usually a person at a table (right before the exit) asking if you are bringing things back. I do not think the Texas duties are paid on board with your purchase.

How long will it take to get to the port from Texas City? Would leaving an hour before our schedules boarding time be sufficient?

Just a clarification: There is no "scheduled boarding time"... The time you choose online is your *check-in* time. Actual boarding time depends on a bunch of factors, but is usually somewhere in the 11:30-12ish area.

I do not know how much the duty is. Last time we went through Texas we opted to bring nothing back that required duties. After you pass US Customs there is usually a person at a table (right before the exit) asking if you are bringing things back. I do not think the Texas duties are paid on board with your purchase.

I paid this once a few dollars for each bottle, last few cruises I just ignored them, never seen them search any bags, you do this after you are done with customs