Istanbul Hotel Recommendations?

We are arriving in Istanbul the day before our cruise and was looking to see if anyone had any hotel suggestions. The last time we were in Istanbul, we had an overnight on the ship - so didn't need to worry about a hotel.

We're going to be with our two young sons and are not really planning on doing much sightseeing this trip. We're looking for a nice modern hotel that would be convenient to the port with rooms adequate for a family of 4. Any suggestions on specific hotels or even neighborhoods?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Be sure that X has not changed their plans for Istanbul, Azamara their sister company has dropped Istanbul.

Thanks good advice. They eliminated the overnight, but as of now we are still leaving from Istanbul.

Mike

Are you wanting to be all in one room? What's your budget?

I have mainly stayed in Sultanahmet, but if you are not going to be sightseeing and in view of the attack in Sultanahmet, you might prefer to look in the modern city area near Taksim Square, which is also very convenient to the port.

Are you wanting to be all in one room? What's your budget?

I have mainly stayed in Sultanahmet, but if you are not going to be sightseeing and in view of the attack in Sultanahmet, you might prefer to look in the modern city area near Taksim Square, which is also very convenient to the port.

Thanks. Our sons are 4 and 5 so we're planning on one room.

Budget tops out at about $350, but if we can spend less that is preferable. We'll get to the hotel in the evening and want to get to the ship early the next day - so we really just need a place to crash after the long flight from Chicago (I almost never sleep on planes - we'll see what happens with the kids).

While 4 in a room here is almost never an issues - when I search for hotels in Istanbul and say there are 4 of us, the room options change and prices increase quite a bit. Also, we want a refundable rate, which also increases the cost.

I do have a reservation at the Dosso Dossi downtown for approx. $200 - the pictures look nice but am looking for other suggestions too.

Thanks again -

Mike

Edited by mandream

Well, as I said, I am more familiar with the Sultanahmet area, but the Hotel Next2 in Istiklal gets very good reviews and has a family room that looks to be within your budget.

If you want to look further, I like venere.com as a tool for research. You can put in 2 adults and 2 children (better than just saying 4 adults as there is more flexibility) and also specify what area you're interested in.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, as I said, I am more familiar with the Sultanahmet area, but the Hotel Next2 in Istiklal gets very good reviews and has a family room that looks to be within your budget.

If you want to look further, I like venere.com as a tool for research. You can put in 2 adults and 2 children (better than just saying 4 adults as there is more flexibility) and also specify what area you're interested in.

We loved Erisin crown in Sultanahmet. Everyone was fluent in English and many of the guests were cruisers. Unfortunately like most European hotels four people would be very crowded.

Thanks for the feedback.

We ended up booking a family room at the Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus. Might not be a very "local" experience, but it seemed very convenient to the port, we have status (and perhaps a good chance at an upgrade), and really plan to just sleep off our jet lag.

Thanks again,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed a a nice hotel with wonderful staff a block from the Hippodrome.

It is the hotel Lausos. The rooms are a little small, but the room and bath are clean and have all the amenities. The free breakfast is great.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293974-d1724276-Reviews-s1-Lausos_Hotel-Istanbul.html

Also, the price is very reasonable.