Bonaire reccomendations!

Taiters91

Hello!

Bonaire is our 2nd port on our first ever cruise in March!

We have decided to DIY as we keep changing our minds, so we will play it by ear as to what we fancy doing and may book excursions on the ship!

Any recommendations or No go's?

We are 24, newly married, and this is our Honeymoon. Our main aim of the holiday is to relax and enjoy some beautiful sites.

Our main interests would probably be beach resorts with restaurants, shops, maybe water activities or any other recommendations to make the most of the island!

We are also visiting;

Aruba

Grenada

Barbados

St Lucia

Antigua

Thank you!

We have decided to DIY as we keep changing our minds, so we will play it by ear as to what we fancy doing and may book excursions on the ship! Any recommendations or No go's? We are 24, newly married, and this is our Honeymoon. Our main aim of the holiday is to relax and enjoy some beautiful sites. Our main interests would probably be beach resorts with restaurants, shops, maybe water activities or any other recommendations to make the most of the island! We are also visiting;

Aruba, Grenada, Bonaire, St Lucia, Antigua

Congratulations on your wedding and upcoming "adventure". While we have not been, yet, to St Lucia and Antigua, I can offer lots of ideas and tips for Barbados, Aruba, Bonaire and Grenada. You will have a nice variety of options and potentials in these scenic and varied places. Check out some of my links listed below. Or, you can see many ideas on my live/blog linked below for other Caribbean, etc., potential for future travel.

For "Barbados: Our Pix's, Experiences Feb./2015!", see:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2262999

For "Aruba: Pix's, Fun, Experiences Feb./2015!", see:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2262154

For "Bonaire: Pix's, Fun, Experiences Feb./2015!", see:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2262075

For "Grenada: Pix's, Fun, Experiences Jan./2015!", see:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2263775

Below are a few of my pictures to help build excitement for this upcoming trip. Don't be shy!! Post on my thread any questions, info needs, reactions, etc. Look forward to sharing more.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 32,734 views for these postings.

Before boarding our ship, we did a three-hour private tour with a Barbados cab driver. He took us all over this historic and scenic island, including to the top where the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea come together. Is this dramatic and scenic? Does my wife’s smile say it all?:

Jan15SCStartA18_zps3ohbqq6l.jpg

Aruba's Eagle Beach gets high marks as the top beach on this island. Some even mention it as one of the best in the world. We can understand why. It is about six miles long with amazing sand. Busy, but not too crowded. We came back later in the afternoon via a cab to enjoy its fun, people, sights, activities, etc. At one end of the beach, however, are lots of high-riise hotels/housing. Personally, we prefer more of the low-rise, less-busy settings. The varied shades of the blue waters were so great. We had a fun part of the afternoon to be here. BUT, it was hot this day with a very intense sun. Did we enjoy? See the picture proof!:

ArubaA15_zpsvwtg4wre.jpg

ArubaA17_zps6hduyrh9.jpg

Here are two of my visual samples from being in Bonaire National Marine Park. From water level and with our expert guide, it was very educational to learn more about these interactions with natural life. With the second picture, you can see a nest with two baby green heron chicks. Cute?:

BonaireA16_zpss9foxu9h.jpg

BonaireA12_zps6nfmcnne.jpg

Here is only one sampling for a site as we traveled north from the port/capital of Grenada. Here is a sample of the shore fishing action as people from the village there pull in the nets. We also visited an old estate, got background for the various spices and items from this island, etc.:

Jan15SCStartA34_zpsovcamo0i.jpg

If you look at the blog you will see multiple comments about the Woodwind. This is a private boat operated by a charming lady (Dee) and her husband. Weather permitting they do a private "drift snorkeling tour" where you just float along in the current between Bonaire and Klein Bonaire. But the staff on this boat make it very special...and Dee's tour usually sells out very quickly. You might want to look at their web site and see if you are interested:

http://www.woodwindbonaire.com/

Hank

• 1 month later...
Hello!

We are 24, newly married, and this is our Honeymoon. Our main aim of the holiday is to relax and enjoy some beautiful sites.

Our main interests would probably be beach resorts with restaurants, shops, maybe water activities or any other recommendations to make the most of the island!

Thank you!

We are also visiting;

Aruba: Eagle Beach or Palm Beach (High rise hotel area) - take the local bus (depot outside just across the main road from the street where the port terminal building is located. Go near the Renaissance Hotel, and you will found vendors for chairs & umbrellas.

Grenada: take a water taxi to Gran Anse beach. Vendors can be aggressive so just say "No Thank you"

Barbados: Go through the terminal building and local taxi's and tours will be available. The Boat Yard is often where the crew go for beach time. Harrison's Cave is a great local attraction.

St Lucia: This might be where a ship's tour is best. Roads are curvy & narrow, and it would be nice to see the Pitons, and both sides of the island

Antigua: Island of 365 beaches Historic fort, Nelson's Dockyard and other scenic sites. A locals taxi tour with an hours or so of beach time might be perfect.

Bonaire: We took the Jacque Cousteau glass bottom boat catamaran tour here. On our upcoming cruise we are probably going to Plaza Resort Beach about a 20 minute walk from the dock. Haven't been there yet but our cruising friends have.

Check out the Caribbean ports of call board and each port for further direction.

Congratulations on your marriage. Cruising is a great way to relax and see the world. Don't try to do everything every day but do make a plan. Rise early, have room service for breakfast and start your day early to get the most of your time on land. Enjoy.

Edited by Nanatravel

• 2 weeks later...

For Aruba: Check out the port of call here on CC & look for arubalisa, she gives a lot of advise & knows the island well.

Grenada: Radisson has a day pass $40.00 pp.

Barbados: Silver Moon Catamaran, we had a good time with them.

Antigua: I thought Valley Church Beach was beautiful.

Check out http://www.resortforaday.com

If you look at the blog you will see multiple comments about the Woodwind. This is a private boat operated by a charming lady (Dee) and her husband. Weather permitting they do a private "drift snorkeling tour" where you just float along in the current between Bonaire and Klein Bonaire. But the staff on this boat make it very special...and Dee's tour usually sells out very quickly. You might want to look at their web site and see if you are interested:

http://www.woodwindbonaire.com/

Hank

I agree. You must snorkel in Bonaire. This is the only operator I have used that include UV shirts & prescription goggles if you wear glasses.

LOVED IT......... Top 10 day of all my travels for sure

I've read that Coco Beach (Bonaire) has great snorkeling not too far out from the shore. Haven't been to that island yet - will be there in February so I'm doing research just like you!

Edited by DLKC

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We just got back from a cruise with a stop in Bonaire. We decided to do something different and booked horseback riding. It was an awesome experience. The couple who runs the ranch are Mark and Bridgett. We were picked up at the ship by Mark. 20 minutes to their ranch and Bridgett had our horses ready. It was about a 30 min ride to the water, then you get to go in the ocean on a horse. The guides lead the horses in the water so it was very safe. We took some pics then headed back to the ranch. They were very friendly and personable and told us a lot about Bonaire. Their horses are well trained and cared for. It is obvious that they love their animals and what they do. Mark then took us back to the ship. I highly recommend them. Here is a link to their site: https://ranchowashikemba.com/

• 4 months later...