Ships hospital - Warning?

Here's a story for you … when we joined our last cruise on 27th Jan (Pride of Panama/Cuban Fusion) we attended the lifeboat drill and I collapsed. I was taken down to the ships hospital and received treatment - oxygen, drip, ecg, blood tests - and after 3 hours the Dr told my husband and I that I had had a mild heart attack … whaaaaat??? Well, who am I to argue but I didn't feel as if I'd had a heart attack (not that I would know what it feels like but no chest pain). Anyway, I was released to "enjoy" (that's another story) the holiday but, obviously was pretty worried about my state of health. I was presented with a bill of £1500 which thankfully (hopefully) the travel insurance will cover. Anyway - and this is where the story becomes interesting - when we came home I wasn't sleeping at all well and feeling my heart pounding I went straight to A&E really thinking that my heart was going to give up the ghost. After spending the whole day there and after tests was told by the Dr that there was no evidence that I had had a heart attack and that I am perfectly fit and healthy!!!! Pounding heart = anxiety :eek: SO we cant help but wonder did the Dr exaggerate to claim more from the insurance? I am happy that the ship has this facility and, no doubt, it has been extremely useful in the past BUT to put my husband and I through all of the unnecessary worry is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. :mad: The moral of the story … be aware if you find the need to use the ships hospital on Thomson cruises!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in defence of the ships doctors, they dont have access to peoples medical records so will throw every test they can at people who present unwell, they are working blind... most people will be insured to cover the costs of that

under the nhs, they will look at peoples health/lifestyle histories before ordering any expensive further tests (which could take months before you get an appointment for....depending on postcode?)

We were on Dream in April 2014 for four weeks on the Transatlantic crossing. On the second night we met a couple who were going to visit the doctor in the morning because she wasn't feeling too good.

Next evening we met them and they both had a Venflon inserted in the back on their hand and it was bandaged over. On enquiring we were told that they had gone to the doc. When they walked in he was pounced on and told he didn't look very well and was promptly examined, with blood tests, ecg etc. being taken, then told he was seriously ill and would require a course of antibiotics by drip twice a day for a week. Cost £1500+. His wife, who did need medical attention, was then examined and told she would also have to have antibiotics intravenously twice a day for a week. Cost £1500.

For the next 3+ weeks we noticed numerous people walking around the ship with bandaged hands/arms and it was obvious they had also paid a visit to the doctor. The cost of their visits seemed to also be £1500.

In 2011 on the Destiny I had treatment for a septic throat/ear infection. I was given two muscle relaxant injections (as I couldn't swallow liquids or food), a mouthwash and antibiotics and was charged £71.16.

Think the doctor on the Dream needs to be investigated but how that would be done I have no idea as unfortunately passengers when they are unwell just hope the insurance will cover them but it sounds very much like a scam.:eek:

p.s.: Was it a lady doctor by any chance?

Edited by skioncruises
p.s

I was on a pando cruise a few years back, and was involved in an accident on deck

It has been well documented on a thread on the RCCL forum.(Yes the RCCL forum)

However, after the cruise, I wrote to the man in charge of the cruise line, and later called and called after my post was being ignored.

I received all my money back, and in addition I received 500 pounds in OBC for a future cruise.

So although you did not have a real heart attack, you almost had one when the bill arrived. So make your comments known to the powers that be,

I did.

I sympathise with you of course. BUT the effects of a mild heart attack are not necessarily apparent after the event. It is best to err of the side of caution and assume that complaints are symptomatic of a heart attack rather than miss one. However, I am surprised that the Dr didn't advise you to leave the cruise.

Some interesting replies on here. I can understand people defending the ships Dr and I totally agree that they should err on the side of caution, however she TOLD my husband and I, both on separate occasions and at different times, that I had had a heart attack. When I took the paperwork with all of the test results and jargon to A&E the Drs there said that none of the results indicated a heart attack. Stamped on the bottom of the notes was a big fat "Fit to Fly". The invoice ... well ok, I understand the need for the tests and consequently the cost involved. What I am finding it hard to forgive is the worry she put us through!!! :mad:

tbh if someone collapses on board (loses consciousness) that could be a potentially serious symptom?

i would hope that the onboard doctor would err on the side of caution when presented with a patient in that condition?

its relatively routine for private doctors/hospitals to treat patients with infection/dehydration with an intravenous drip (its more effective and a quicker recovery) this is not something that would be routine on the nhs were patients with the same conditions would more than likely be prescribed oral anti biotic, sent home with a box of paracetamol and told to drink plenty of water

My husband was not feeling well in 2013 on Dream.

Went to the Doc (a man) he did an ECG (hubby was pale and breathless) and other tests including taking blood.

We went back the next day and he said my husband had not had a heart attack (due to lack of emzines in blood) he gave him some tabs for Angina and some other tabs we had about 3/4 visit. we were charged £350, and 2 visits were after hrs. He said to go to doc when we got home if it persisted and reccomended asprin, which hubby was taking.

When we came home we was unwell again so we went to A&E. He did indeed have Angina and a blocked artery which required a stent.

Spot on Doctor and very cheap.

Edited by blossom52

So with the medical charges experienced by blossom, wales4ever and skioncruises (on Destiny in 2011) the charges of £1500 do seem way out of line. With tales of almost identical treatments/diagnoses/costs I must say the current reports from Dream do seem odd. I'd be the first to say that you should take no risks with your health and a Dr should err on the side of caution (and you can't put a price on being properly looked after if you are ill) but there is a serious underlying concern in my mind having read this.

Edited by kruzseeka

It's all relative.

Thomson will provide the medical service as a concession in much the same way as the photography one.

It will be a private sector firm who provide the service (at cost) who pay Thomson a retainer to be on board the ships.

On that basis it is worth remembering it will be profit driven. But if you need to use the services then you need to use the services it is after all why we have holiday insurance.

If some charges are coming back as extortionate you as the end user in the middle of the ocean don't have much of a choice but I am sure the Insurance firms look for patterns and if they feel they are being ripped off they will be onto Thomson.

Quite true. By nature all cruise ships are profit driven. From the moment you board they are trying to sell you something - from drinks packages, to photo packages, spa treatments, restaurants etc.

I would not like to guess how much the ships doctor is getting paid - rather more than the cabin stewards no doubt lol and they are definitely NOT going to rely on tips....

If some charges are coming back as extortionate you as the end user in the middle of the ocean don't have much of a choice but I am sure the Insurance firms look for patterns and if they feel they are being ripped off they will be onto Thomson.

You are quite right - it will be a contracted service. But as the charges are wildly out of sync with other providers and even Thomson not so long ago like you, I think I'd get my pay-out from my insurers then alert them to what looks on the face of it as sharp practice - with or without Thomson's approval . Thomson would do well to look into this themselves.

Correct.

It is the Doctor *ON* thomson, *NOT* the Thomson doctor.

Most are reteired Doctors from the Eastern European Countries, renting out their homes/appartments back home, whilst spending 6 month contracts at sea.

It pays ok and they are on board officer status, so have nice cabins, and privilages etc.

Was seated at the Doctors Table once, we had a blast.

His cabin was lovely, and room service for breakfast was a pure delight.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn likes people

Correct.

It is the Doctor *ON* thomson, *NOT* the Thomson doctor.

Most are reteired Doctors from the Eastern European Countries, renting out their homes/appartments back home, whilst spending 6 month contracts at sea.

It pays ok and they are on board officer status, so have nice cabins, and privilages etc.

Was seated at the Doctors Table once, we had a blast.

His cabin was lovely, and room service for breakfast was a pure delight.

Oooh you're such a tease ;)

So the point is ?

Don't go to the Ships Doctor ?

If your on the ship and collapse there ain't much choice is there.

Next cruise and the OP is ill, what are you going to do.

You pays your money and takes your chance.

Sorry of it sounds insensitive, but that is the the way of world.

Glad your fine when you got home.

So the point is ?

Of course you would - anybody in their right mind would. But that isn't the matter in question.

I think the point being made is the disparity of charges now and in the recent past on Thomson - or compared with others' experiences of other cruise lines. And what of the strange case(s) of everyone having treatment which costs exactly the same and suspect diagnoses? Or to say nothing of a husband who was merely accompanying his wife to the medical centre and ended up with multiple tests........ and associated costs. (Having 'pounced' on him before they looked at the patient - surely that is very odd.)

Edited by kruzseeka

So the point is ?

You're missing the point 1160451. Yes, we thought it pretty expensive but what the heck - that's what travel insurance is for and they can fight the bill out if they choose. The point is the ship's Dr put us through a great deal of unnecessary worry ... thats what I object to!!

Im sorry you went through this worry, but glad it is all ok now which is what the important thing is.

One thing I do disagree with is the people (not the OP) making comments about wether the Dr was male or female. Seriously that is like asking if they are left or right handed :rolleyes:

I think with anything, and that includes things that are medical, there can sadly always be mistakes. I also have no doubt that there are some that will prey on the fact that you haven't got much choice when you are in the middle of the ocean!

A lesson to all on the value of insurance I think!

Im sorry you went through this worry, but glad it is all ok now which is what the important thing is.

One thing I do disagree with is the people (not the OP) making comments about wether the Dr was male or female. Seriously that is like asking if they are left or right handed .

I think with anything, and that includes things that are medical, there can sadly always be mistakes. I also have no doubt that there are some that will prey on the fact that you haven't got much choice when you are in the middle of the ocean!

A lesson to all on the value of insurance I think!

If you're referring to the 'ps' on my post - I only asked out of curiosity to see if it was perhaps still the same doctor from April 2014. :)

If you're referring to the 'ps' on my post - I only asked out of curiosity to see if it was perhaps still the same doctor from April 2014. :)

We were also on the Transatlantic last April and yes it is still the same Dr. She told me in the course of conversation that she has been on the Dream (on and off) for the past 18 years! Perhaps she knows a good thing ....?

We were also on the Transatlantic last April and yes it is still the same Dr. She told me in the course of conversation that she has been on the Dream (on and off) for the past 18 years! Perhaps she knows a good thing ....?

Hi Pee0305

I only replied because of the friends we made at the very beginning of the cruise who had encountered the 2 x £1500 bill scenario. They, like yourself, were concerned about the diagnosis as well as the insurance side of things.

I'm pleased you were given a complete check-over when you arrived home. It must have been an enormous relief to be told that everything was ok. You must have been going through all sorts of hell during the TA crossing.

We're booked to go on the Dream for another crossing in April 2016, here's hoping my "just in case" medical supplies see me through. DH always says that I have enough to cure anything but can't do brain surgery.:eek:

Hope you are planning your next cruise.:)