Cute & functional waterproof tote/bag

butterbread

We have a few water-based excursions, including one where we have to wade in from shoulder deep water to get to shore lunch.

Looking for something I can stuff clothes/towels/camera/phone/cash/ID in for port days.

Any great suggestions? Husband suggested a few x-large ziplock bags :p I'm hoping for something a bit less utilitarian....

Well, the large zip locs would work in ANY tote....so no need to buy a special bag! Take your regular beach tote or canvas tote...and put the items in the zip-locs!

Cash, ID's and credit cards can get wet!

Edited by cb at sea

I use the jumbo zip lock bags inside my cute Vera Bradley. Hides the plastic bags but still keeps everything dry. I do take the cardboard piece out of the bottom, not sure how well that would do.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app

I found these bags and find them the perfect shore excursion bag.

Make sure, if you get any, (I have a few) that you get the zip top one. The zip really saved my stuff when there was a sudden downpour when we were on the beach in the Caribbean. Good for when the tide comes in fast too.

I always catty ziplocs for wet and dry swimwear etc.

Cheers, h.

http://www.blueq.com/shoulder-totes/

Sent from the nether world using magic

Edited by middlehaitch

I agree with you, Lois re a cruise design. Which bags have the zipper?

If you are referring to the BlueQ shoulder totes, it appears they all do as its in the description, and you can see the zippers in the photos of the bags....

117440716_1.jpg?rev=A22C

I have a waterproof backpack from The North Face that I am bringing along. It is black and boring, but they did have different styles and colors that were cute. A backpack also helps with balance if walking on uneven surfaces.

An alternative thought is a DIY. Use an existing bag and purchase waterproofing fabric spray. This is a permanent solution. There are many on the market and generally used for fabrics that are outdoors or on boats.

I actually like the ziploc bag idea. I just bought a lightweight foldable backpack for port days and will just throw the important stuff in ziplocs. I like the back pack because I prefer to have my hands free and the weight is evenly distributed so it doesn't hurt my back as much to carry it.