Single dad cruising with small kids advice

Kfb85

Hi everybody. I'm a first time cruiser and in the planning stages. For awhile, my wife and I discussed taking the kids on a disney, cruise and had put money aside. It looks like an amazing time, however, my wife sadly passed about 6 months ago so I'm wondering if traveling alone with 2 young children would still work. I know Disney may be best being so child friendly that there may be more understanding people on board as I presume many will be traveling with children. I am trying to choose itineraries for winter to escape the cold a bit and maybe have some fun to distract from the holidays that will obviously be somber this year for me. So my questions really are: has anybody sailed alone with children? Was it too difficult at meal times/managing buffet? If the kids are in a kids club do you think enough activities for a solo adult? I guess I should clarify ages, I'm 29 and my kids would be 5 (girl) and 3 (boy) by the time of sailing.

First time posting here and hope to research what I can so any advice about the line in general I'm open to hear so please point me in the right direction if I should be looking elsewhere. Thank you in advance!

I'm sorry for your loss, but I do applaud you for continuing with your plans.

Suggestion--we find early December to be less crowded, less costly, and still have all the holiday activities in full swing. That would be my choice time. And i joke that the cruise is much less effort than the parks and I am "on vacation" on the cruise.

Background--I adopted as a single mother, so I've done the single mom cruise and other vacation bit all of our family life. The cruise is absolutely the best.

Given the ages of your kids,it won't matter which ship you choose. Teens may find that the Fantasy/Dream has more to offer them, but your kids will be plenty busy on any of the ships. Our personal favorite is the Magic, but again, look at dates, costs, ports, etc.

Meal times are EASY. DCL takes care of everything for you. I do find it easier to do the sit down places rather than the buffet, but if you choose the buffet, a CM will gladly help you carry trays, etc. The downside to the pool deck buffet is that you also have to get your beverages and any refills. These will be happily served to you at the sit down venues.

As to adult activities, there is plenty to do, depending on what you like. There is a fitness center and running/jogging track (both no cost). For a fee, there is the spa. There is an adult only pool, hot tubs, coffee shop, and the deck around the pool--you won't be out of place as no one is supposed to have their kids in this location. There are various adult only activities scheduled throughout the day. In the evenings, there are adult only entertainers, etc. beginning at about 10 pm.

The Oceaneer's Club is open from 9 am to midnight--again, included in the cruise fare; no additional fees. Obviously, I wouldn't suggest dropping the kids and showing up 8 hours later, but they can spend as much or a little time there as you and they choose. If they need you, you'll get a text message on your wave phone (ship cell phone, again no charge). There are family activities all day as well, so you can participate with your kids. You can also go to the OC with them during "Open House" times.

I would suggest you book nothing less than a 4 night cruise. 7 is better, but I get the idea of "trying it out." 3 is not enough. You no sooner get there than it is time to leave.

As far as port activities, it depends on which ports you are visiting. We have often chosen to just stay on the ship or do a quick off and then return rather than a big excursion. Examples--St. Thomas, within walking distance of the dock is a butterfly farm. More adventurous, a cable car ride to the top of the island. All day activity there for family is Coral World, an aquarium with underwater walk in viewing area, educational "touch tanks" for kids, etc. and across the parking lot is a family friendly beach with no charge! Grand Cayman--turtle farm is great for kids (don't tell them the turtles are raised to eat!) 3 is too young for Stingray City in my opinion. Cozumel, I don't like...but there is a mall right at the dock. In the mall is a guy with a burro all dressed up. For a small fee, kid can have photo with burro, sit on him, etc. All of these except Coral World would be a very short time off the ship. We don't do meals off the ship, etc. We find "on our own" worked better with little people because if they are tired, fussy, etc. we can return to the ship whenever we choose.

Now, packing. (I know you are not there yet). Get a supply of zip lock bags. Put a full outfit, including socks, undies, etc. in the bag. Smash the air out and place in the suitcase. Each day, all you need to do to get the kids dressed is get out a bag (one for each kid). The outfits will always match, etc. If they don't wear the socks or something, toss them in the drawer as a "just in case." I would pack one bag for each day + one extra. Then all you need are the "dress up" clothes for a long cruise and a sweater or jacket because it can get cool at night.

Another hint--at the end of the season, but at least a few things one size bigger than they are currently wearing. I would often do all my "next year" shopping then! If you cruise in December, make the kids try on this year's clothes before you pack. There are these growth spurts. Ask me about the time that I had a suitcase full of "too small" clothes! At the ages of your kids, you can be pretty sure that next spring, they will be one size bigger than whatever they are this fall and by doing a little end of season shopping, you'll save a bundle.

Please feel free to ask any questions. OH, DO NOT buy trip insurance thru DCL. There are plenty of private companies that will give you better coverage and provide one complimentary child's policy with each adult policy purchased. Finally, the biggest negative to going as a single parent is that you pay full adult fare for the older child. Boo hiss. DCL does not offer any sort of single parent program/payment plan while some other lines do. They don't save much, but every little bit counts. But in terms of travel with little kids, DCL is definitely the best.

I'm sorry for your loss' date=' but I do applaud you for continuing with your plans.

Suggestion--we find early December to be less crowded, less costly, and still have all the holiday activities in full swing. That would be my choice time. And i joke that the cruise is much less effort than the parks and I am "on vacation" on the cruise.

Background--I adopted as a single mother, so I've done the single mom cruise and other vacation bit all of our family life. The cruise is absolutely the best.

Given the ages of your kids,it won't matter which ship you choose. Teens may find that the Fantasy/Dream has more to offer them, but your kids will be plenty busy on any of the ships. Our personal favorite is the Magic, but again, look at dates, costs, ports, etc.

Meal times are EASY. DCL takes care of everything for you. I do find it easier to do the sit down places rather than the buffet, but if you choose the buffet, a CM will gladly help you carry trays, etc. The downside to the pool deck buffet is that you also have to get your beverages and any refills. These will be happily served to you at the sit down venues.

As to adult activities, there is plenty to do, depending on what you like. There is a fitness center and running/jogging track (both no cost). For a fee, there is the spa. There is an adult only pool, hot tubs, coffee shop, and the deck around the pool--you won't be out of place as no one is supposed to have their kids in this location. There are various adult only activities scheduled throughout the day. In the evenings, there are adult only entertainers, etc. beginning at about 10 pm.

The Oceaneer's Club is open from 9 am to midnight--again, included in the cruise fare; no additional fees. Obviously, I wouldn't suggest dropping the kids and showing up 8 hours later, but they can spend as much or a little time there as you and they choose. If they need you, you'll get a text message on your wave phone (ship cell phone, again no charge). There are family activities all day as well, so you can participate with your kids. You can also go to the OC with them during "Open House" times.

I would suggest you book nothing less than a 4 night cruise. 7 is better, but I get the idea of "trying it out." 3 is not enough. You no sooner get there than it is time to leave.

As far as port activities, it depends on which ports you are visiting. We have often chosen to just stay on the ship or do a quick off and then return rather than a big excursion. Examples--St. Thomas, within walking distance of the dock is a butterfly farm. More adventurous, a cable car ride to the top of the island. All day activity there for family is Coral World, an aquarium with underwater walk in viewing area, educational "touch tanks" for kids, etc. and across the parking lot is a family friendly beach with no charge! Grand Cayman--turtle farm is great for kids (don't tell them the turtles are raised to eat!) 3 is too young for Stingray City in my opinion. Cozumel, I don't like...but there is a mall right at the dock. In the mall is a guy with a burro all dressed up. For a small fee, kid can have photo with burro, sit on him, etc. All of these except Coral World would be a very short time off the ship. We don't do meals off the ship, etc. We find "on our own" worked better with little people because if they are tired, fussy, etc. we can return to the ship whenever we choose.

Now, packing. (I know you are not there yet). Get a supply of zip lock bags. Put a full outfit, including socks, undies, etc. in the bag. Smash the air out and place in the suitcase. Each day, all you need to do to get the kids dressed is get out a bag (one for each kid). The outfits will always match, etc. If they don't wear the socks or something, toss them in the drawer as a "just in case." I would pack one bag for each day + one extra. Then all you need are the "dress up" clothes for a long cruise and a sweater or jacket because it can get cool at night.

Another hint--at the end of the season, but at least a few things one size bigger than they are currently wearing. I would often do all my "next year" shopping then! If you cruise in December, make the kids try on this year's clothes before you pack. There are these growth spurts. Ask me about the time that I had a suitcase full of "too small" clothes! At the ages of your kids, you can be pretty sure that next spring, they will be one size bigger than whatever they are this fall and by doing a little end of season shopping, you'll save a bundle.

Please feel free to ask any questions. OH, DO NOT buy trip insurance thru DCL. There are plenty of private companies that will give you better coverage and provide one complimentary child's policy with each adult policy purchased. Finally, the biggest negative to going as a single parent is that you pay full adult fare for the older child. Boo hiss. DCL does not offer any sort of single parent program/payment plan while some other lines do. They don't save much, but every little bit counts. But in terms of travel with little kids, DCL is definitely the best.[/quote']

Thank you, I appreciate it. With the kids I'm just trying to give them the best life possible and family vacations was a goal for us.

I have to say, I so much appreciate your response! My plan would definitely be to have them with me the majority of the time, but I think nice to have a little break if I know they are being taken care of.

Your post has given me a lot to think about and I love your packing ideas. I never would have thought of putting outfits in baggies.

I'm not sure about excursions either as I haven't gotten that far but I am very relieved that you have been able to enjoy cruising alone and everyone has had a good time.

Your comment about having them with you the majority of the time triggered something in my brain. When my daughter was young, we had a rule that she had to choose 1 activity per day in the club or lab and do it. Sounds silly maybe, but that gave me a 1 hour break (activities typically run about 45 minutes). I found that I needed a little "alone time " or "off duty" time.

Yes, I treasured our family vacation time, and I did view it as our time together. I didn't make an adult dining reservation till she turned 18--our thing on vacations is that we always do dinner as a family whether we are together or not the rest of the time. But mom or dad still needs a bit of a break at times.

Liked your idea about how to pack the outfits for each day.

Clair

Thanks, Clair. It makes life so much easier on the ship...and you don't end up the last day with total mis-matches or missing something essential. The other think I do is have a separate place for stuff that needs to be washed vs. something that could be worn again. The "could be worn again" becomes your go to stash when a drink gets spilled on clothes or whatever.

And worst case, there is always the laundry.

moki'smommy,

sorry if it's been mentioned before and I didn't see it, but do they still have a singles meet and greet aboard?

(and not that kind of singles meet and greet! It's Disney!)

ex techie

edit, just a way for single people and parents to meet and maybe support each other and spend time with each family.

Also, from what I've read DCL does a great job of matching families with similar family dynamics so Kfb85 hopefully you will be seated with great table Guests unless you request otherwise!

Edited by Ex techie

moki'smommy,

sorry if it's been mentioned before and I didn't see it, but do they still have a singles meet and greet aboard?

(and not that kind of singles meet and greet! It's Disney!)

ex techie

They have a "single parent or cruising single" lunch. It is typically in the restaurant serving buffet food and is hosted by a cruise staff member. You go to the restaurant at the appointed time and tell the guy at the podium that you are there for the single's lunch. No, it isn't a meat market. Kids are NOT welcome at this event. They usually do it twice on a 7 night cruise. It is just a way to identify other singles. What happens from there is your choice.

They also have a separate 18-21s luncheon. Same format, different group.

I am a single mom by circumstance.... I decided when my daughter was 5 (she's 23 now) we went on a cruise on the Big Red Boat. they had a kids program that I could not keep her out of! I wanted us to be together for "us" time, but she was too excited about the activities there to be bothered with me! I then thought that this was her vacation, too, so I let her go! my stipulation was that meal times were with me. even at that age, she agreed. that left me with most of the days all by myself. I had a great time at the pool, eating what I wanted and having a few drinks. 15 years and 10+ cruises later, I'm still a single mom and she and I still travel. too old for kids programming, she knows how to make friends and be responsible.

my suggestion to you is to give your kids a choice and allow them to be kids with other kids. the programming in disney ships is geared for them and they will remember the experience forever!

enjoy yourself and reflect on what you have accomplished. be a friend to yourself and have fun!!!

Funny...my "now 24 year old" hated the kid program on the Big Red Boat when she was 4. She said all they did was watch videos and color.

But she loved the programming on DCL at age 7 (Magic maiden voyage). The big trick as she grew up was whether or not she made a friend in the programming. If she had a buddy there, she loved it. If not...not so good.

But OP has 2 kids, so they can be buddies to each other. Most kids love the programming and want to be there at least some of the time.

So sorry for your loss.

I understand you are concentrating on the kids, but please remember to take care of yourself as well. If not for your sake for the littlies the need a dad who is in a good place.

Make sure you get some "me time" while they are in kids club.

As someone who lost their mom at a very early age (2.5 and raised by a single dad) your post brought both sadness and a smile to me.

Your DCL questions have been well answered, but I just wanted to say that you are an awesome dad.

I hope that you have a wonderful cruise and that all of your dreams and expectations are met and exceeded.

So very sorry for your loss. You never know what life will throw at you.

You sound like a fantastic dad, looking out for your kids and continuing on with happy things.

One question...is your 3 year old toilet trained? If not, he won't be allowed in the kids club (except during open house hours) not will he be allowed in the pools (splash area is ok). So just keep that in mind.

But Disney cruise certainly is a great choice. You couldn't find something more kid friendly and you'l have a great time.

I did the single dad thing with two young kids on DCL several times. This was after a couple of times doing the same thing to the Parks.

One cruise and neither of us wanted to do the parks again. Kids LOVED the clubs and I appreciated the quiet time when I could sit, read a book and not be chasing them every minute! AND I did not have to eat burgers or chicken nuggets or pizza for every meal while THEY could if they so chose.

I actually saved money on 4 day cruises versus 4 days in the parks once meals and hotels were added in.

So very sorry for your loss. You never know what life will throw at you.

You sound like a fantastic dad, looking out for your kids and continuing on with happy things.

One question...is your 3 year old toilet trained? If not, he won't be allowed in the kids club (except during open house hours) not will he be allowed in the pools (splash area is ok). So just keep that in mind.

But Disney cruise certainly is a great choice. You couldn't find something more kid friendly and you'l have a great time.

Lu, not sure how up to date your info is. On our last cruise, they had gone to an age dependent policy, not toilet training policy. Kids WERE allowed in the Oceaneer's Club in diapers and pull ups but the staff would not deal with them. If the staff felt a change was in order, they would page the parent to come and provide the needed care to the child. In addition, the nursery had a firm cut off at age 3. 0-2 = nursery. 3 and up = OC.

You are correct that children who are not fully trained are not permitted in the pools and can only use the splash areas.

All that said, things can change on DCL in the space of one cruise (literally). Our most recent cruise was less than a year ago, but may not be accurate as of today.

Hi everybody. I'm a first time cruiser and in the planning stages. For awhile, my wife and I discussed taking the kids on a disney, cruise and had put money aside. It looks like an amazing time, however, my wife sadly passed about 6 months ago so I'm wondering if traveling alone with 2 young children would still work. I know Disney may be best being so child friendly that there may be more understanding people on board as I presume many will be traveling with children. I am trying to choose itineraries for winter to escape the cold a bit and maybe have some fun to distract from the holidays that will obviously be somber this year for me. So my questions really are: has anybody sailed alone with children? Was it too difficult at meal times/managing buffet? If the kids are in a kids club do you think enough activities for a solo adult? I guess I should clarify ages, I'm 29 and my kids would be 5 (girl) and 3 (boy) by the time of sailing.

First time posting here and hope to research what I can so any advice about the line in general I'm open to hear so please point me in the right direction if I should be looking elsewhere. Thank you in advance!

I'm late to the game but wanted to also share my condolences with you. Unfortunately, I find myself in the very same boat you are (no pun intended). My DH passed unexpectedly 8 months ago. We had booked a DCL cruise way back in May 2014 for this October. For a while, my DD (5 yo) and I considered cancelling, but about 4 months ago she told me she wanted it to be a girls' trip, that Daddy would want us to enjoy it.

To your questions, I can't help yet with logistics of buffet dining, etc., but I agree with you that DCL would be just about the best first cruise experience your kids could have. They are around the same age so could be in the Club together, allowing you time to decompress and grab a coffee.

Another thing to mention - I joined a Facebook group set up by others booked on my cruise, and I threw it out there -- single (widowed) mom with a small child. Will I feel out of place on a family-oriented ship? There were several folks in the group who responded that they were also single parents, and there were multiple invitations for linking reservations in order to enjoy dinners together, Palo brunches, etc. So I would recommend joining a roll call or Facebook group to gather support. You will also make friends that you may join at the buffet who can take turns with you watching the kids while the other adult(s) serve themselves from the buffet.

If you'd like, send me a PM and I will update you when I come back about how we managed.

Jessica