Car rental help Katakolon

bearette

I want to want to rent a car for our port day. The only one I can find is over 100 euro's (Avis.) I see people have been renting cars, but I can't find the companies! Also any recommendations for which ones are convenient to the port? I need to add car seats to my reservation so I want to ask around as the price of the car seat can be more then the rental.

As far I can remember, Avis was the only rental company directly at the dock. I don't even know if there are any other ones in the village. Katakolon is ridiculously small, it is really only a docking point for cruise ships with a few souvenir shops. We hired from Avis, but this in the off-season, so we paid a lot less. I am figuring you will be there in the summer?

There is also a small local rental car company/office located just off the pier area (where you make the right turn onto the main street. Here is the info I posted on this forum a few years ago:

They have a web site at http://www.rentacarkatakolo.gr and their direct e-mail is diplasd@rentacarkatakolo.gr. We did not actually rent a car on our last visit but did stop and chat with the manager of this place (and get his card) and would use them in the future.

Their web site still works so you might want to contact them for prices. They used to be very inexpensive if you can drive a stick.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

There is also a small local rental car company/office located just off the pier area (where you make the right turn onto the main street. Here is the info I posted on this forum a few years ago:

They have a web site at www.rentacarkatakolo.gr and their direct e-mail is diplasd@rentacarkatakolo.gr. We did not actually rent a car on our last visit but did stop and chat with the manager of this place (and get his card) and would use them in the future.

Their web site still works so you might want to contact them for prices. They used to be very inexpensive if you can drive a stick.

Hank

We used Rent-a-car Katakolo last June, paid 40 euros for a mid-size manual car. It's more or less a straight road to ancient Olympia so a stick shift isn't hard at all. The rental place is just outside the port area, maybe 5 minutes at the most from the ship. No need to pay in advance, they didn't even ask for a credit card number, just booked by email and sent them a reminder the week before our cruise. Suggest you email them and ask for a quote. Hank has given you the email id, his phone numbers are:

My mobile phone is (0030) +6936746326 (Christos Diplas)

The phone office is (0030) +2621041727

We used the same operator as Hank & prish. No pre-payment, no card number taken with booking. They reserve a car for you til the booked time - then they'll rent to someone else if you don't show. Decent newish car, same 40 euros, 10 euros is plenty for gas, simple route though they'll give you a little sketch map.

Very straightforward, no problems.

JB :)

We used Rent-a-car Katakolo last June, paid 40 euros for a mid-size manual car.

Of course, we do not know on what kind of car the OP got a quote from Avis. Automatic cars are always much more expensive in Europe, as everybody drives a stick-shift here.

For March, 100 euros seems a bit much for a small manual car. We paid 36 euros in November 3 years ago.

It was an economy stick shift. I'LL try the other place too. Thanks guys.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

You most definitely should contact our guy. BTW, they had high speed internet and told us we could use their wifi on our return from Olympia, which we did. Much better and faster than the ship's wifi!

See 3:46 of this video, taken on our way back to port. I see a shop, on the right side of the road, with a small 'Rent a Car' sign. Is that the local car rental company?

Yep, that's it. I think - though it's a big sign over the shop frontage.

Right opposite the port entrance.

Easier to see / locate on this googlemap streetview :

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Katakolon,+Elis,+Greece&hl=en&ll=37.64506,21.318043&spn=0.000068,0.042315&sll=39.674163,20.046444&sspn=0.091695,0.169258&oq=kaqtakonon&hnear=Katakolo,+Elis,+Greece&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=37.64506,21.318043&panoid=-Ev9ZdztS7teDSMY-OUcKg&cbp=12,135.71,,0,0

Avis is less than 100 yards behind the camera.

Give my regards to Alvin :p :D

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread. We tried Dias (rentacarkatakolon) and they only have manuals and we aren't comfortable with that. We tried Avis and they have a much more expensive automatic but require a European driver's license, which we don't have. Any other ideas? We leave in a few days! Thanks in advance.

I have a car rented from Avis though Expedia for a day next month. The four or five door compact car has automatic transmission and with the additional insurance and all taxes it is about $100 for the day. I reread through all of the rules and confirmed that all I need is an international drivers license which is easily obtained at my local AAA office.

For those of us who do a lot of driving in Europe, knowing how to drive a manual (we actually love driving sticks) is a must. Many European rental agencies either do not have any automatics, or they often charge huge surcharges (we have seen double and more) for that type of car. As to Katakolon, we were just there again in April and again rented a car (with no reservations) from our usual small local agency. Later in the day, when walking through town we noticed another rental car agency (in addition to the Avis place) but do not recall the name. But they had a rental special that day for only 30€ (we paid a little more at the other agency).

We do not understand Avis asking for a European license (we have rented from plenty of Avis places in Europe and this was never a requirement). Just wondering if they are asking for an International Drivers Permit....which you can get at an AAA office for $15 (going up to $20 in June) plus the cost of a Passport Photo. But in forty years of renting cars all over Europe (including Greece) nobody has ever ask to see that document. As to the Avis requirement, we did not notice any such requirement listed on the Avis booking site. Kind of strange.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hank -- see my post -- I think Jayhawks may have misunderstood the license requirement. I just emailed Avis and they confirmed what I posted -- international dL only (and yes, the few times I have gotten one in the past the rental agency never asked to see it-- however for a small amount of $ it is better safe than sorry so I will get mine next week). I am very much looking forward to our day's drive -- any particularly cute villages or scenic roads in the general area?

Scratch that. This was the exact email when I asked. Do you think they just misunderstood??

------------

As a response of your new request, we provide you below our offer.

Group F (automatic)

VW Golf

Toyota Prius or similar

Rental price: 90,85€

The quote includes:

· Collision damage waiver (CDW) With an excess 900€+TAXES

· Theft protection (TP) With an excess 900€+TAXES

· Registration Fee (VRF)

· Local Tax (TAX)

· Unlimited Kms

Rental Details:

Rental From/to: 02/06/2016 10:00

02/06/2016 17:00

Rental Length: 1 day

Car Pick-up office: Port of Katakolon

Car return office: Port of Katakolon

Additional Information:

The driver must be owner of a valid credit card along with European Driving License and ID/Passport.

*We would to inform you that the price and availability may change without any notice. Also, we cannot provide you specific car model, as it depends on the availability at the pick –up time.

Waiting for your information, if you want us to proceed with the booking.

Best regards,

Maria Liva

Contact Center Officer

Avis Budget Hellas

Sorry - thanks all. I may have misunderstood. So how do we get one, we just literally go to any AAA office and pay $15 on site and get one? What is the point then?

Thanks all!

Now you are getting into my kind of topic. While we do think the International Drivers Permit is a joke (and money maker) it is actually codifed in International Law. It is more of an identification document then a real license, and actually is not even usable as a license unless you are carrying your regular license (go figure),

But yes, you can get it (in a few minutes) by stopping in any AAA Office (CAA if in Canada). The Permit is valid for 1 year from the date issued. Since the price is increasing on June 1 (from the current $15 to $20) you might want to get it soon :). You also need a decent Passport photo and a valid drivers license in order to obtain the permit, and AAA will take the photo (for an additonal small fee). So in the end you will spend about $25 for a document that nobody every wants.....but you will be technical compliance with the national laws. AAA does issue the permit on the spot....so there is no waiting period or delays.

I should mention that the only document that Rentacar wanted was our US Drivers License. They did not even want a credit card! Go figure.

One of the dance hosts on our cruise had a better idea. He brought his bike along on the ship...so he simply rode from Katakolon over to Olympia....which is only about 40 KM!

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Now you are getting into my kind of topic. While we do think the International Drivers Permit is a joke (and money maker) it is actually codifed in International Law. It is more of an identification document then a real license, and actually is not even usable as a license unless you are carrying your regular license (go figure),

But yes, you can get it (in a few minutes) by stopping in any AAA Office (CAA if in Canada). The Permit is valid for 1 year from the date issued. Since the price is increasing on June 1 (from the current $15 to $20) you might want to get it soon :). You also need a decent Passport photo and a valid drivers license in order to obtain the permit, and AAA will take the photo (for an additonal small fee). So in the end you will spend about $25 for a document that nobody every wants.....but you will be technical compliance with the national laws. AAA does issue the permit on the spot....so there is no waiting period or delays.

I should mention that the only document that Rentacar wanted was our US Drivers License. They did not even want a credit card! Go figure.

One of the dance hosts on our cruise had a better idea. He brought his bike along on the ship...so he simply rode from Katakolon over to Olympia....which is only about 40 KM!

Hank

LOL!!!

Thanks Hank.

From the website of the US State department on travel in Greece:

"You must carry a valid U.S. license as well as an international driver’s permit (IDP). If you don’t, police may detain you and you may face high fines. You generally must get the IDP before leaving the United States from either AAA or the National Automobile Club."

We have been on several Greek islands many times, both whilst on cruises and on regular "land" trips. We often rent a vehicle of some kind. The last couple of years, Greek rental offices have become much more strict about driving licenses. When we were on a cruise which tendered in Chios, the rental offices would not rent out any vehicle - not even a moped - to anybody who did not have an EU or an international license. We rented a motorbike (DH has an EU motorbike license too), and there were scores of Americans and Canadians who desperately tried to rent any vehicle, and they couldn't even get a 50cc moped.

Maybe nobody asks for your international license when you rent, but what if you are stopped by police, or you are involved in an accident? You may be ok, but you may not. This is Greece after all, where things tick a little different than elsewhere. Even if an accident is not your fault, you may get automatically blamed if you do not have the correct paperwork.

Edited by UKBayern