Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Expert advice needed--We are contemplating traveling with my husbands service dog on Celebrity; however, I can't clearly find what I need to re-enter the US (Customs). That is the biggest issue I am finding. We will not disembark at any ports in the Caribbean but unsure what we need to re-enter the US. Any help would be appreciated.

If we did decide to disembark in the private Island of Labadee is anything different needed documentation wise? or to reenter the US?

I much appreciate any information.

Hi, Welcome! I have not been to Labadee [at least I don't remember being there!] Whatever it takes for you to embark on Celebrity is what you will need to disembark.

You must have:

• U.S. Interstate and International Certificate of Health Exam. For Small Animals form, from your Vet. This will have the most recent exam. and information about your dogs vaccination record and general health, signed by your Vet.
  • A copy of your dogs city Dog License; any training info.; a copy of embedded chip info.
  • Also, call Celebrity Special Access/Needs Dept. to get any other info. that they may require. Their number is: 800.242.6374.
  • And, of course, your Passport.

Cindy may know of anything else required for Caribbean travel, onboard a cruise ship and what islands require more than others.

Remember: Make three [3] copies of everything so that you can just hand one to registration and to immigration or the Purser and always have a copy and the originals for yourself.

On our last cruise, the Purser didn't ask for a copy and neither did Immigration. But, I was ready to hand copies to registration and it went so much faster when boarding.

Expert advice needed--We are contemplating traveling with my husbands service dog on Celebrity; however, I can't clearly find what I need to re-enter the US (Customs). That is the biggest issue I am finding. We will not disembark at any ports in the Caribbean but unsure what we need to re-enter the US. Any help would be appreciated.

If we did decide to disembark in the private Island of Labadee is anything different needed documentation wise? or to reenter the US?

I much appreciate any information.

Welcome Hovank! We just went on Celebrity last year although we did not go to Labadee. When we go to Holland Americas private island we always get the Bahamas permit, although I don't really know if we need it. It shows that Haiti has their own form to fill out (like a few islands have) so I would call Celebrity and find out if you need that. I use the website below as a reference. I also google the agriculture dept for that country for info. I never pay for any forms, you can get them from the agriculture dept in that country. Just email them and they will send them to you with the requirements.

http://www.pettravel.com/passportnew.cfm

Which other islands are you going to? Some of them only require the international health certificate. Some other islands require unnecessary test which I refuse to have. For those islands we just stay onboard.

Any other questions, just ask.

Cindy

Welcome Hovank! We just went on Celebrity last year although we did not go to Labadee. When we go to Holland Americas private island we always get the Bahamas permit, although I don't really know if we need it. It shows that Haiti has their own form to fill out (like a few islands have) so I would call Celebrity and find out if you need that. I use the website below as a reference. I also google the agriculture dept for that country for info. I never pay for any forms, you can get them from the agriculture dept in that country. Just email them and they will send them to you with the requirements.

http://www.pettravel.com/passportnew.cfm

Which other islands are you going to? Some of them only require the international health certificate. Some other islands require unnecessary test which I refuse to have. For those islands we just stay onboard.

Any other questions, just ask.

Cindy

Thank you, Cindy. your our "go-to" gal for the Caribbean.

Thank you, Cindy. your our "go-to" gal for the Caribbean.

Not really Roz, I just wing it. I don't like that they want unnecessary tests done. :mad: You would think they would have some special form for service dogs just getting off the ship to go to the shops at the dock. And to charge you just kills me, we are not going to pay 50.00 just to get off the ship. Or the person (brain cramp, can't remember who) who they made give their dog some pill. :eek: I'm not giving my dog anything from some strange island.

John is suppose to be getting his flu shot today, lets see if he remembered. It will be a miracle!

Not really Roz, I just wing it. I don't like that they want unnecessary tests done. :mad: You would think they would have some special form for service dogs just getting off the ship to go to the shops at the dock. And to charge you just kills me, we are not going to pay 50.00 just to get off the ship. Or the person (brain cramp, can't remember who) who they made give their dog some pill. :eek: I'm not giving my dog anything from some strange island.

John is suppose to be getting his flu shot today, lets see if he remembered. It will be a miracle!

I totally agree with you. I will NOT test or pay for anything that my Vet says is unnecessary.

When an official boards your ship and asks for money/tests or gives you a med. to give your dog........SAY NO!!!!!

I have NEVER been asked to pay a fee or given any pill to give my dog. And, Brenda did a lot of traveling with us. We did a titre draw for Europe and Hawaii and, I wasn't too crazy about even doing that!

CCI insists that their dogs be given Hearguard/Advantix and all their required vaccinations. Like you are always asking for, if we had a national database all of the unnecessary stuff would be eliminated and the folks who try to bring "Fi-Fi" onboard a cruise ship would also be wiped-out!

I totally agree with you. I will NOT test or pay for anything that my Vet says is unnecessary.

When an official boards your ship and asks for money/tests or gives you a med. to give your dog........SAY NO!!!!!

I have NEVER been asked to pay a fee or given any pill to give my dog. And, Brenda did a lot of traveling with us. We did a titre draw for Europe and Hawaii and, I wasn't too crazy about even doing that!

CCI insists that their dogs be given Hearguard/Advantix and all their required vaccinations. Like you are always asking for, if we had a national database all of the unnecessary stuff would be eliminated and the folks who try to bring "Fi-Fi" onboard a cruise ship would also be wiped-out!

You never paid a fee? We did once and that was it. But we were asked a bunch of times.

I'm so glad we get Advantix, Welactin and Cosequin for free, He uses more stuff than me! :eek: The only thing we pay for is Heartguard.

You never paid a fee? We did once and that was it. But we were asked a bunch of times.

I'm so glad we get Advantix, Welactin and Cosequin for free, He uses more stuff than me! :eek: The only thing we pay for is Heartguard.

Amazing how much "stuff" I give my dogs. The healthiest teeth, coat, skin and fur!!!!!

Been cleaning the apt today, since I don't want to think about it next week. Everybody better keep it clean. :( Everyday but Wednesday I have something to do. Maybe that will be my packing and ironing day. I will have to repack Lee once he gets here. We always put Johns shower wheelchair parts and shoes in Lees bag and he is always so happy about it. :DThis weekend we have a Christmas party and of course I have to bake. My mom always freaks out when we go on a trip, so she is already complaining. I really don't need more stress. :eek: She will have groceries and my cousin lives close in case she needs something. And my brother is there but he is useless.

John had to fill out his CCI yearly survey, luckily we already have a vet appt cuz one page is for her to fill out. John made me write down that Wex is perfect. LOL!! I'm sure they will laugh when they read that. He better be good on this trip cuz he has been really pesty lately. I don't usually yell at him, (I let John do that) but he's really been bugging me and I had to make him go to his bed. He is so needy!!!! He wants constant attention and belly rubs.

Edited by rangeley

Been cleaning the apt today, since I don't want to think about it next week. Everybody better keep it clean. :( Everyday but Wednesday I have something to do. Maybe that will be my packing and ironing day. I will have to repack Lee once he gets here. We always put Johns shower wheelchair parts and shoes in Lees bag and he is always so happy about it. :DThis weekend we have a Christmas party and of course I have to bake. My mom always freaks out when we go on a trip, so she is already complaining. I really don't need more stress. :eek: She will have groceries and my cousin lives close in case she needs something. And my brother is there but he is useless.

John had to fill out his CCI yearly survey, luckily we already have a vet appt cuz one page is for her to fill out. John made me write down that Wex is perfect. LOL!! I'm sure they will laugh when they read that. He better be good on this trip cuz he has been really pesty lately. I don't usually yell at him, (I let John do that) but he's really been bugging me and I had to make him go to his bed. He is so needy!!!! He wants constant attention and belly rubs.

If I move closer will you take care of me?

We're going back down towards San Diego [to Oceanside] for Horton's Re-Cert. on Friday, Dec. 14th. We're all going, including Miss Brenny. We got lucky and got a dorm room, probably because I requested it back in June [the old "first come first served" thing.] I like to go to CCI, normally, but I'm not too crazy about going there so soon after my most recent experience! :( Oceanside is so close to Coronado.

Horty and me are going to need to practice on escalator's before the testing.

The men in your life love your attention, Wexy's just falling in line. He's such a typical guy.......make him feel good once and he's yours for life!!!!!! :D

Edited by wizard-of-roz

If I move closer will you take care of me?

We're going back down towards San Diego [to Oceanside] for Horton's Re-Cert. on Friday, Dec. 14th. We're all going, including Miss Brenny. We got lucky and got a dorm room, probably because I requested it back in June [the old "first come first served" thing.] I like to go to CCI, normally, but I'm not too crazy about going there so soon after my most recent experience! :( Oceanside is so close to Coronado.

Horty and me are going to need to practice on escalator's before the testing.

The men in your life love your attention, Wexy's just falling in line. He's such a typical guy.......make him feel good once and he's yours for life!!!!!! :D

Sure I will take care of you, but be warned I don't take any crap from anybody. :eek:

John always gets so nervous when it's testing time. Wexler knows how to turn it on when the trainers are around. And I'm sure Horty will do the same. It's hard sometimes when you are tested on some command that you really don't use. They actually come to MA or NH every year so we don't have to go to the CCI campus.

Men are needy. :(

That's it...I wanna come back as a Service Dog. Just for the belly rubs.

Yeh! Right! You won't get any sympathy here mister! Don't tell me you NEVER got a belly rub as a human!!!! Not even a scratch behind your ears? If this is true.....than it's time Mrs. DKD get online.....we need to talk! ;)

Sure I will take care of you, but be warned I don't take any crap from anybody. :eek:

John always gets so nervous when it's testing time. Wexler knows how to turn it on when the trainers are around. And I'm sure Horty will do the same. It's hard sometimes when you are tested on some command that you really don't use. They actually come to MA or NH every year so we don't have to go to the CCI campus.

Men are needy. :(

Crap, are you talking c-r-a-p? And, you think I'm going to take it????? You sure talk big......until Mom walks in the door!

Don't you think it's weird that both our son's are named Lee? Except mine is married and she's got to take what he dishes out.....not me!

I get nervous at testing too. It's nerve wracking to have someone judging you on your commands and leadership or the lack thereof! And, if this is the day that your dog decides that he's going to eat everything thrown at him and he's going to go over and sniff every dog in his sight!!!! :( I'll never forget Ken [the trainer] telling me to stick my hand down Horton's throat to retrieve the animal cookie that he picked-up off the floor.

We went to the mall last night and Horton did the weirdest dance after we got off the escalator........I have to remember to keep him by my side and give myself lots of room to enter and exit the stairs. I never lost control but he looked pretty goofy!

I read this and at first I thought you were talking about John! :eek: because I skipped the part in parentheses. But then you mentioned belly rubs and I had to go back and read more slowly! Hee hee! :D

I read this and at first I thought you were talking about John! :eek: because I skipped the part in parentheses. But then you mentioned belly rubs and I had to go back and read more slowly! Hee hee! :D

OMG! LOL! I already read John the riot act on being on his best behavior. :D

Of the shenanigans of you lovely people .... You are so worth five minutes with a cup of coffee!!!! LOL!

Roz - I'm so sorry to read of your car theft, these people are just the scum of the earth and I'm only glad you and Horton weren't out and about when they were!

Cindy - have a wonderful cruise with your handsome boys (really mean the dog, but hey we don't want to confuse Dobiemom again!!! LOL!)

Gosh I find myself writing to you guys as though I know you - but you come to life in your messages and I'm sure I'm not the only one who checks in to read of the latest tales or should that be waggy tails??? ;):D

Who needs The Real Housewives of New York when we've got you!!! :D

Of the shenanigans of you lovely people .... You are so worth five minutes with a cup of coffee!!!! LOL!

Roz - I'm so sorry to read of your car theft, these people are just the scum of the earth and I'm only glad you and Horton weren't out and about when they were!

Cindy - have a wonderful cruise with your handsome boys (really mean the dog, but hey we don't want to confuse Dobiemom again!!! LOL!)

Gosh I find myself writing to you guys as though I know you - but you come to life in your messages and I'm sure I'm not the only one who checks in to read of the latest tales or should that be waggy tails??? ;):D

Who needs The Real Housewives of New York when we've got you!!! :D

Thanks Fairbourne. I'm glad we can keep people entertained. ;) We have been together for a long time and I feel like we know eachother too. My dream is that someday Rozilla will get her butt out east or just send her beautiful dog to cruise with us. We have been through alot together and I do feel like she's my sis even though we have never met. If we ever met I would probably cry like a baby. :eek: I didn't realize how many people just come in here to read our stuff. I don't think we feel that we are very entertaining to others but guess we are! :D

Edited by rangeley

Mornin' all:

Well, Fairbourne, alls I got is :o! I was taken under by, was it Princess Rozilla or Queenie Rozilla? Anyway, I guess it should be Princess since she cruises on Princess. Maybe I can remember that. So I was taken under by Princess Rozilla's wing and the rest of the folks, without even having a service dog. I do work with Special Ed kids, although none of them have service dogs either. We had our huge lovable yellow lab (110 lbs) Reno at the time. I think that is what attracted me to the thread. Then the picture of Ms. Brenny melted my heart. The rest is history. We have laughed till my jaw hurts and cried until my heart hurt. I also wish one day we could all cruise together!

I think Ms. Princess Pony Pants helped step up the raw sense of humor we have. She lets it fly!

Trudy have a fantabulous cruise. I am jeolous that you get to meet and cruise with Cindy, Sexy Wexy, John and Lee.

Cindy, you don't leave until next week? Will hear from you this week, then. Can't wait for the last minutes scream outs! I am sure your boys will put you thru the wringer. :D Gotta love em!

Mornin' all:

Well, Fairbourne, alls I got is :o! I was taken under by, was it Princess Rozilla or Queenie Rozilla? Anyway, I guess it should be Princess since she cruises on Princess. Maybe I can remember that. So I was taken under by Princess Rozilla's wing and the rest of the folks, without even having a service dog. I do work with Special Ed kids, although none of them have service dogs either. We had our huge lovable yellow lab (110 lbs) Reno at the time. I think that is what attracted me to the thread. Then the picture of Ms. Brenny melted my heart. The rest is history. We have laughed till my jaw hurts and cried until my heart hurt. I also wish one day we could all cruise together!

I think Ms. Princess Pony Pants helped step up the raw sense of humor we have. She lets it fly!

Trudy have a fantabulous cruise. I am jeolous that you get to meet and cruise with Cindy, Sexy Wexy, John and Lee.

Cindy, you don't leave until next week? Will hear from you this week, then. Can't wait for the last minutes scream outs! I am sure your boys will put you thru the wringer. :D Gotta love em!

I think it has to be the Grand Dowager Duchess of Roz (thinking Dame Maggie Smith in Downton Abbey! :eek:) we can't give rozilla too much power or she'll send us all to the Tower! LOL!

We have two gorgeous labs- a very pretty black girl, and a big handsome brown boy. Not service dogs but I think The boy dog could have been; the girl, she has her own agenda! ;) So I came here wondering what you were all talking about and have been hanging around ever since - no not like a bad smell!! ;)

Trudy, You are leaving tomorrow. I hope you have a great cruise and we can't wait to meet you and Ed next week!!! Safe travels!! :D

Yes Cindy, we do. Probably 8 or 9 am, depending if we want to stop for breakfast or not. We are excited to meet you and John and your son, sorry, I forgot his name, and of course Wexel ( you better hide him on the last day, I just might take him home.) :D I love him already. See you on the 9th.

You travel safe also and I sure hope the weather stays good for you. See you soon.

Mornin' all:

Roz and I are both Princesses!!! :D I think that fits us well! ;)

I don't leave til next week Nancy, you will have to put up with me til then. I'm sure the boys will drive me nuts, and once they get together it gets even worse. :(

Yes Cindy, we do. Probably 8 or 9 am, depending if we want to stop for breakfast or not. We are excited to meet you and John and your son, sorry, I forgot his name, and of course Wexel ( you better hide him on the last day, I just might take him home.) :D I love him already. See you on the 9th.

You travel safe also and I sure hope the weather stays good for you. See you soon.

You won't want to take him home when you see what a pest he is. ;) But maybe I can talk you into talking the guys?

I hope the weather is nice. It's snowing here today :( There is a bad storm out in Rozillaland and I hope it stays there. The 10 day forecast seems to be ok, but everyone knows they can't even predict weather when they look outside. :eek: