Regal Princess

Cruiser59983

Hello everyone...just booked on 12 day Mediterranean cruise on Princess. First time cruising for our family of three. We have booked a forward cabin (obstructed view but don't mind that). Looking for any ideas, hints, or suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Barry

Welcome to cruise critic:)

No one has ever been on the Regal as she is still being built.

As you looking for suggestions about the ship (her sistership is the Royal)?

...or are you looking for suggestions about the ports?

One suggestion I can strongly make is to find your "Roll Call" here on Cruise critic and meet others who will be on the sailing with you. Lots of people will be organizing private tours, and you may find that to be cost effective and better in general.

Since I don't know what ports you are going to, this will help you find some info....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

On the first couple of pages of the general Princess forum you will find some threads about "Princess secrets"...find those and do some reading.

Also, there are lengthy threads here on the Royal Princess.....check those out for ship-related info, and take a look a ship reviews for the Royal on the Cruise Critic home page.....with some digging you may find some that are for your itinerary.

Hello everyone...just booked on 12 day Mediterranean cruise on Princess. First time cruising for our family of three. We have booked a forward cabin (obstructed view but don't mind that). Looking for any ideas, hints, or suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Barry

What deck is your cabin on?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are also on the Regal this summer. The Regal maiden voyage is about 3 months away so I was wondering if there is a website or webcam or news article about her progress. What about the potential design changes from the Royal? Any pictures or even confirmation of the changes?

We booked this cruise almost a year ago, so I guess I am just anxious for news on anything Regal.

We are also on the Regal this summer. The Regal maiden voyage is about 3 months away so I was wondering if there is a website or webcam or news article about her progress. What about the potential design changes from the Royal? Any pictures or even confirmation of the changes?

We booked this cruise almost a year ago, so I guess I am just anxious for news on anything Regal.

Though I read it was coming out early? (April)

The Regal's maiden voyage was moved up from June 2 to May 20. We made reservation several months ago for June 9-19 thinking it would be in the middle of maiden voyage. Already had plane tickets so didn't change. Only thing they have on Princess.com is the videos of the Royal on the Regal's page. Can't wait to see the enhancements.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'd love to hear of updates on the Regal but I can't find anything...

Yesterday I posted an update on Regal Princess, and it seems to have disappeared during the Cruise Critic 16-hour 'maintenance'.

It basically said that next week Regal Princess is scheduled to re-enter drydock for a deep hull cleaning and re-installation of a rudder. She's been sitting in the same spot at the construction and outfitting pier at the Monfalcone Fincantieri shipyard since she was floated out in April 2013 and has probably collected a lot of algae on the hull.

For those of you who were following along during the Royal Princess construction and sea trials, you will remember that as she was returning from the successful completion of her first sea trials and maneuvering in the Monfalcone harbor, ran aground at her stern when swinging around to the dock. It damaged both of Royal Princess propellers and one rudder. The replacement propellers came from Britannia, and were actually sitting next to the drydock since Britannia had just had her keel laying ceremony. The replacement rudder came from Regal Princess.

After they removed the Britannia keel block, Royal Princess and Regal Princess were then maneuvered in and out of drydock to remove the damaged parts and install the replacements.

Fast forward to today....

The completed hull of Britannia is to be floated out this weekend, and Regal Princess will re-enter drydock next week and get her replacement rudder in a dry dock period estimated to last 10 days.

She is also scheduled in the coming weeks to depart on her first sea trials.

Here is a picture of Regal Princess taken Jan. 20, 2014:

12479514734_af569ff762_c.jpg

(Picture credit to Lorenzo75

Yesterday I posted an update on Regal Princess, and it seems to have disappeared during the Cruise Critic 16-hour 'maintenance'.

It basically said that next week Regal Princess is scheduled to re-enter drydock for a deep hull cleaning and re-installation of a rudder. She's been sitting in the same spot at the construction and outfitting pier at the Monfalcone Fincantieri shipyard since she was floated out in April 2013 and has probably collected a lot of algae on the hull.

For those of you who were following along during the Royal Princess construction and sea trials, you will remember that as she was returning from the successful completion of her first sea trials and maneuvering in the Monfalcone harbor, ran aground at her stern when swinging around to the dock. It damaged both of Royal Princess propellers and one rudder. The replacement propellers came from Britannia, and were actually sitting next to the drydock since Britannia had just had her keel laying ceremony. The replacement rudder came from Regal Princess.

After they removed the Britannia keel block, Royal Princess and Regal Princess were then maneuvered in and out of drydock to remove the damaged parts and install the replacements.

The completed hull of Britannia is to be floated out this weekend, and Regal Princess will re-enter drydock next week and get her replacement rudder in a dry dock period estimated to last 10 days.

Still no photo of the "Aft Pool".

Thanks Dave! Can always count on your for updates on the Royal class ;)

Still no photo of the "Aft Pool".

This time last year on Royal Princess very, very little of the upper decks were even completed. It was pretty much a vast empty space, as was The Sanctuary and Retreat areas. I don't suspect we'll see the installation of the aft pool until Regal Princess comes back from her sea trials. Since this is more than likely going to be an 'above deck' plunge pool, there is no hole in the deck to visualize, nor is there any special work to be done to that aft area of deck 17 to prepare it for a pool. Pretty much just drop it on deck and weld it in place so to speak.

This time last year on Royal Princess very, very little of the upper decks were even completed. It was pretty much a vast empty space, as was The Sanctuary and Retreat areas. I don't suspect we'll see the installation of the aft pool until Regal Princess comes back from her sea trials. Since this is more than likely going to be an 'above deck' plunge pool, there is no hole in the deck to visualize, nor is there any special work to be done to that aft area of deck 17 to prepare it for a pool. Pretty much just drop it on deck and weld it in place so to speak.
I agree with your comment. She will be departing on her Maiden Voyage in only 95 days now so we will see it soon.

Hi,

I was on the seven-day maiden voyage of the Royal Princess in June 2013 (Southampton to Barcelona) and am booked on the seven-day cruise on the Regal Princess that departs from Venice on June 2, 2014 (the original maiden voyage before the earlier cruises were added). Because we had already purchased our air, we decided to stay with the June 2 sailing. Also, we are going to spend two nights in Venice prior to the cruise.

I enjoyed the Royal Princess and am looking forward to trying the Regal Princess. Curiously, my booking on the Princess website shows a picture of the original Regal Princess (which entered service in 1991).

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

I'll definitely keep posting any new updates as they come along...

:D

David! I am here following! I'll be on the Maiden Caribbean (3-day) and the b2b 7-day in November, so I'm interested in whatever info you can pass along! Our roll call has 41 folks signed up already and we still have over 260 days to go! :eek:

David! I am here following! I'll be on the Maiden Caribbean (3-day) and the b2b 7-day in November, so I'm interested in whatever info you can pass along! Our roll call has 41 folks signed up already and we still have over 260 days to go! :eek:

Hi Larry,

The updates may not be on this thread exactly, although I'll earmark this one just so that we can try to keep everyone in one place.

:D