Will the new TUI tempt us as P&O cruisers?

Hi, we have been frequent visitors to the Thomson thread now for ages.

We LOVE the itineraries, but sadly the ships have put us off completely.

As a result we have tended to stay with Celebrity and P&O.

We are looking at the new changes to TUI with interest. I am just wondering if you think that the new ships etc will tempt us Celebrity / P&O cruisers?

We started life on the Ocean Village 2 and have tried RCI on the IOS but the ' entertainment stuff' did not suit us as a child free couple. We enjoyed it for 4 days but couldn't see us doing anything mid August when we have to take our holidays..... holiday Hell !!

I have to say that we are interested in the idea of new ships for 'TUI', but really do not want to go down the route of RCI type ships. The new ships seem ok, but I am wondering re price as balconies on Thomson seem expensive.

Finally, though we are not former Thomson cruisers we get frustrated that Thomson ships always seem to be 'hand me downs' when the German market get the others. Having said that, we LOVE Oceana and she came from Princess.

Having read a number of posts about former Thomson cruisers enjoying P&O and knowing friends who love their cruises we are just curious and have yet to rule out a future Thomson cruise. Well, whatever it is called with new ships.

Would really like to know what you think - am not wanting to offend. :)

:D

We are looking at the new changes to TUI with interest. I am just wondering if you think that the new ships etc will tempt us Celebrity / P&O cruisers?

We started life on the Ocean Village 2 and have tried RCI on the IOS but the ' entertainment stuff' did not suit us as a child free couple. We enjoyed it for 4 days but couldn't see us doing anything mid August when we have to take our holidays..... holiday Hell !!

I have to say that we are interested in the idea of new ships for 'TUI', but really do not want to go down the route of RCI type ships. The new ships seem ok, but I am wondering re price as balconies on Thomson seem expensive.

Finally, though we are not former Thomson cruisers we get frustrated that Thomson ships always seem to be 'hand me downs' when the German market get the others. Having said that, we LOVE Oceana and she came from Princess.

Having read a number of posts about former Thomson cruisers enjoying P&O and knowing friends who love their cruises we are just curious and have yet to rule out a future Thomson cruise. Well, whatever it is called with new ships.

Hi presto 2 have had many short cruises with CARNIVAL U.S to go with stay and cruise and i find Thomson the same it suits us both no one can give me a stay and cruise package like Thomson eg BARBADOS stay and cruise and also JAMAICA stay and cruise i know DREAM is a little old but been on her four times and going on celebration next year same again,yes looking forward to newer ships hope they home base discovery in Barbados 2016 17

Just try it or stay with what you are comfortable with I have looked at P&O and will probably try at some time but am extremely happy with what we have at the moment. I know that when we arrive on board this Saturday we will be welcomed by staff that we have known for many years. We have had problems with Thomson but have always had them sorted. Thomson is not to everyone's taste but we like both the formal and informal aspects and the general friendliness of the ship. This year will mark our 50th cruise with them and whilst I realize this is not as many as a lot on this site it is I think a point in Thomsons favor. Good luck with your decision and happy cruising☺

Thanks both.

We do like P&O and Celebrity, but we also cruise for the itineraries. It is always a mixture. On more than one occasion we have booked with Celebrity or P&O rather than Thomson because of the ship.

Ironically. our first proper cruise was on the Ocean Village 2 and we went with her because the itinerary was great (the Eastern Med from Crete), the cruise and stay suited us AND we had a lovely ship with a balcony cabin.

Have to say, we do like the formal nights --------- can't believe I am saying that as we went on OV2 to avoid it.

If Thomson offered a great ship, with those balconies to the Eastern Med, at a good price we would go for it.

Its such a big leap of faith to try another line with the expense involved. Every one has different expectations so when you have found one that fits your requirements its difficult to change, we do like lots of ports as you only have two days at sea on a 14 nighter and Thomson will always wait for you as its usually one of Thomson flights. I could go into the food, entertainment etc etc but again its up to what you like we do like to dress up of an evening but do enjoy the company of people who do not. I do hope you make the right decision for you. I will probably be asking the same questions third quarter next year ☺

I am just wondering if you think that the new ships etc will tempt us Celebrity / P&O cruisers?

the new ships for thomsons are not that new (hand-me-downs)

yes there are lot of families on thomsons in school summer holidays also (kids clubs/family entertainment)

thomsons market themselves as a family friendly, they will occasionally have adult only cruises but these are mainly 'out of season' or 'repositioning cruises'

yes.... thomsons are not cheap (but they do include service charges in the fare)

Would really like to know what you think - am not wanting to offend.:D

tbh we found ventura in caribbean to be a very similar product to the same offering from dream in caribbean (apart from ventura being a bigger ship)

yes there are lot of families on thomsons in school summer holidays also (kids clubs/family entertainment)

thomsons market themselves as a family friendly, they will occasionally have adult only cruises but these are mainly 'out of season' or 'repositioning cruises'

Re Geo's post.

One of the reasons we have always liked Thomson is that there are not huge numbers of children & families onboard - we have always sailed either at Easter or August. We have teens so have nothing against children; just don't like to be in an environment with hoards of them!

There aren't lots of family cabins on any of the current ships however that may change on the 'newer' ships - particularly if there are going to be climbing walls etc - one if the reasons we won't be cruising on the Discovery!!

imo i would expect that the percentage(s) of families/retired couples/ young professionals/ family groups etc would depend on the itinerary and the time of year rather than on the cruise line

for uk cruisers, i would suspect there would be more families in the med in the summer and more (retired) couples in the carribbean/canaries in the winter

i cant remember exactly? (our kids are older now) but i am sure that the thoms kids clubs were only fully open during school holidays? or at least were reduced outside of the school holidays?

thomsons dont offer much discount anymore for 3rd/4th person/child sharing a cabin so i guess families are being put off by that now-a-days?

i shouldnt really comment on med cruises as it has been several years since we have cruised in that area and as a family we always cruised the med on the island escape (back in the day)

but imo med cruises should still represent better value for families than elsewhere (no matter what line you are on)

i would suspect that many uk families could find it prohibitly expensive to fly long/medium haul with family in tow especially if you need to book 2 cabins as well (as we have too) and so would expect to see more couples/less families in the caribbean/canaries

transatlantics are traditionally adults only, mainly because younger professional couples and families will be put off by the long 3 week itineraries (cant get the time off work/school) and traditionally transatlantic crossings can represent good value, which older retired couples with more time like to (and do) take advantage off.... most cruise lines expect this and tailor their entertainment accordingly (motown/big band/enrichment courses etc)

yes i agree a ship would be restricted on how many 3/4 berth cabins they have available for families but they certainly used to pack them in on island escape in the summer holidays a few years ago (us included) but back then there were better discounts for under 16's (now reduced to under 12's)

maybe things have changed now?/maybe i am just plain wrong....but

i do believe that family/couple percent(s) on board any particular ship would depend on the length of the itinerary and the price of cabins/flights (long or short haul) and that this would happen on any cruise line not just thoms

Edited by geomagot

Some of my first cruises were on OV as well, and I worried Thomson Destiny would be too posh as it had formal seating!!

Since then I've also been on Celebrity and RCI and wondered if travelling on much nicer ships (because in fairness they are) would put me off going back to Thomson.

But I just think Thomson is a different type of holiday, I'm not travelling for the ship, but for the excellent itineraries as they take you to lots of places the bigger cruise lines don't visit. Plus in my opinion the entertainment is fantastic, the price works for me and whilst other ships do some things better they don't really do anything badly.

In the end, however they are branded, you can only try it to decide if its something that suits you.

In reply to Geo: "I shouldnt really comment on med cruises as it has been several years since we have cruised in that area and as a family we always cruised the med on the island escape (back in the day)

but imo med cruises should still represent better value for families than elsewhere (no matter what line you are on)

i would suspect that many uk families could find it prohibitly expensive to fly long/medium haul with family in tow especially if you need to book 2 cabins as well (as we have too) and so would expect to see more couples/less families in the caribbean/canaries"

Just to give you a rough idea Geo, costing up a 2 week b2b with Thomson on the Discovery next year peak season for a family of 4 sharing a cabin (over 12 year old children), it works out at roughly £8,000.

Not sure how that compares to the Caribbean but the prices have hiked up quite a bit since our 2 week cruise on the Dream in 2014 by approx £1800 more. Maybe Thomson are actually trying to discourage families by increasing it that significantly?!!

Edited by Julessmiles

We recently did our first cruise with P&O, Oriana, I have to say that was entirely for the itinerary, nothing else.

We loved the layout of the ship and had a fantastic holiday.

We didn't find a great deal of difference between the two companies.

Thomson do seem to put more effort into the entertainment though.

Edited by happy v

Thanks for your thoughts everyone and for taking the time to reply to us.

It will be interesting to see how the 'new' TUI Cruises develop over the next 2 / 3 years or so.

I do feel that Thomson and P&O have more in common than I once thought and IF P&O don't sort out some Eastern Med. fly / cruises then we would be tempted to try out a TUI cruise on one of these ships with balconies.

:)

Just to give you a rough idea Geo, costing up a 2 week b2b with Thomson on the Discovery next year peak season for a family of 4 sharing a cabin (over 12 year old children), it works out at roughly £8,000.

Not sure how that compares to the Caribbean but the prices have hiked up quite a bit since our 2 week cruise on the Dream in 2014 by approx £1800 more. Maybe Thomson are actually trying to discourage families by increasing it that significantly?!!

shocking jules! it trully is! it doesnt make sense that they are discouraging families on thomsons?....surely if they can fit more heads in per cabin they would reap more onboard spend?:confused:

we were lucky in the past i guess? (right time right place) we managed to get some good discounts when our kids were younger (back in the day)

i dont think we will be sailing on discovery, we are not enamoured by the med and certainly not prepared to pay those sorts of prices (we could go to japan on the princess for less)