Guaranteed suite on the mariner

trvlrs

Hello everyone - I am about to book a Mediterranean cruise on the mariner but I am a bit reluctant because of the guaranteed cabin. Can anyone give us any kind of advice? Are there any bad rooms? Can we end up with an obstructed view, a handicap room, etc.... Would it be better to book directly through regents or though a travel agent? Can a travel agent help in getting a better cabin? Thank you

On Mariner a guarantee is a safe bet, there really are no bad or obstructed rooms, and of course you could get a cabin priced higher than what you paid. Mariner is the only ship we have been comfortable taking a guarantee on.

A good TA can always be of benefit, especially one experienced in luxury cruises and who books a lot of Regent. They often have benefits such as shipboard credits, that you won't get booking thru Regent. A good TA may also have some group space he/she can sell you into, which would provide a lower rate under their contracted rate. They also keep an eye out for price reductions and other benefits that may get added later that you might be able to take advantage of.

My recommendation would be to contact a TA who specializes in luxury cruises and book thru them.

Hi: We love the Mariner but for "Guarantees", I'd consider 1) Do you need/want a tub - you get either a tub with a shower head or a full shower and 2) is there a possibility of slightly restricted view (like G cabins next to lifeboats on Voyager). I haven't heard of any vibration problems in any Mariner cabin.

Item 1 - tubs are hard to get in/out for short people and have a close ceiling for tall people.

Item 2 - bothered my wife, a photographer, didn't like 641 on the Voyager as the tender, when up, blocked some of panoramic view.

Thank you deepfreeze63. The information was very helpful. I had assumed the bathrooms were similar to the voyager (a bathtub and a separate standing shower). In the case of the mariner we would definitely rather have a shower but would not be bothered with a bathtub. Thanks again for the heads up :)

You're the second person to mention height ...is it that bad? My husband is 6 feet tall. Thanks Rachel
I'm 6'5" and have not had a tub on Regent,so I can't speak from experience, but your husband will likely be OK. On Azamara, the "cut-off" point is about 6'2" for the tubs that are in the Azamara suites. Taller than that and you shower stooped over with your head pressed against the ceiling. Likely about the same on Regent ships.

Just wanted to add that I am 5' 3 1/2" tall and felt the ceiling in the bathtub was very low. More importantly, although I do not have a physical disability, getting out of the bathtub was precarious at best. It is a very steep step out of the tub -- one that is not expected. Add that to the movement of the ship and it can be an accident waiting to happen. This has been discussed at length on the Regent board and is probably why Regent spent the money to change approximately 50% of the suites to shower only (and the showers are large and lovely). Still, I agree that all of the suites on the Mariner are great!

Not having a laundry is a wonderful thing. Laundries on Regent are war zones. Avoid them if possible. Besides, you are paying a lot of money for a luxury experience........ sending your clothes out to be laundered is part of the experience:D

I'm on the Mariner in July and am now a bit concerned about the tub/shower situation. I am NOT in a cabin with a separate shower. Does that mean there is a shower in the tub? Is there a shower curtain? I am familiar with the Navigator and Voyager set up and foolishly assumed the Mariner was the same. Yikes!

I'm on the Mariner in July and am now a bit concerned about the tub/shower situation. I am NOT in a cabin with a separate shower. Does that mean there is a shower in the tub? Is there a shower curtain? I am familiar with the Navigator and Voyager set up and foolishly assumed the Mariner was the same. Yikes![/quote

Yes - shower is in the tub (but no shower curtain). The Mariner is similar (somewhat) to the Voyager but has smaller regular suites and larger public areas. The Mariner was built before the Voyager. I guess they decided to make larger suites on the Voyager. Both ships are lovely and we have no problems with either one of them.

Thank you travelcat2. I am exactly your height but DH is tall. I am beginning to think it is a problem. Just contacted Regents and the height from the shower head to the floor of the tub is 5'8" 1/2. What were they thinking when they built those tubs? Must have been a short architect

Thank you travelcat2. I am exactly your height but DH is tall. I am beginning to think it is a problem. Just contacted Regents and the height from the shower head to the floor of the tub is 5'8" 1/2. What were they thinking when they built those tubs? Must have been a short architect ��

The important dimension is the height from the ceiling to the floor of the tub, but that shower head height is ridiculous.:confused:

Totally agree with you marinaro44. I was told by regent that the ceiling height of the room is 7ft and the walking closet 6'6" but they didn't have the dimensions of the bathroom height. Do you know if the bathroom on the mariner has a step up?

Totally agree with you marinaro44. I was told by regent that the ceiling height of the room is 7ft and the walking closet 6'6" but they didn't have the dimensions of the bathroom height. Do you know if the bathroom on the mariner has a step up?
Don't recall if there's a step up to get into the bathroom, and I can't say about the tub as we had a shower in our room. I know in Azamara suites the base of the tub is a good three or four inches above the bathroom floor, and there is a step up into the bath from the bedroom area.

There is a step up into the bathroom, not very high, maybe 3 inches, but enough that I have stubbed my toe before.

But there is also a significant step up to get into the bathtub. I am very agile and found it difficult. For an elderly person or one with any kind of mobility or balance issues, it would be quite dangerous. And that step up further reduces the headroom.

I'm on the Mariner in July and am now a bit concerned about the tub/shower situation. I am NOT in a cabin with a separate shower. Does that mean there is a shower in the tub? Is there a shower curtain? I am familiar with the Navigator and Voyager set up and foolishly assumed the Mariner was the same. Yikes!

Hello Leese - We booked Mariner July 9th, are you cruising the same time?