Trip report - Thomson Majesty 3-10 April 2014

WARNING - this is a long report so sorry if it bores you!

PARKING AND PORT

We pre-booked car parking at ´Costa Golf´ parking near the airport as they provide a free shuttle to the cruise terminal. Very easy to find and with very quick and efficient booking in. We arrived at the carpark at 10 a.m. and were at the cruise terminal by 10.20; excellent value safe parking at just 36 Euros for 8 days (including a complimentary car wash).

Malaga cruise terminal was very clean and with easy access for anyone with mobility issues. We arrived an hour and half early having found the car park so easily and having missed the Malaga rush hour but a Majesty representative arranged for the priority desk to be opened so that we could check-in straight away which was very much appreciated. Had this not been possible there was a nice cafe in the terminal whee early arrivers can wait. The terminal was a long walk from the port main gates so I would recommend taking the shuttle train (3 Euros) if you are dropped off there.

CABIN + HOUSEKEEPING

We only booked 4 weeks before departure and chose the cheapest available cabin - decks 6-8 inside. There were no cabins available to book mid-ships but the Thomson Cares rep did promise to try to get us a quiet one as Hubby has to sleep each afternoon. We were allocated 6019 which was absolutely perfect - we didn´t hear a thing apart from some music noise one night that went on until 12.30 a.m. The cabin was far more spacious than we had expected having read reviews of interior rooms - it was a 3 bedder with twin beds that were oh so comfortable! The bathroom was far more modern than we have had in the past on the ´Dream´ and there was more than ample wardrobe and drawer space. The cabin was kept spotlessly clean by our steward Tatyana with chocolates on our pillows each evening and a different towel animal each night.

We had a problem with the shower for the first 24 hours - ice cold water only. We reported this to reception on the Sunday evening and it was repaired before we returned to the cabin that night; lovely hot water for the rest of the week.

The ship was immaculate throughout - from morning to night everytime you turned a corner you would find a member of staff cleaning.

MUSTER DRILL

This is the only thing we could find a small criticism of - the drill took place at 7.30 and most people had gone to their cabins to put lifejackets on and move to their assembly points well before the alarm sounded. I went to get our jackets so Hubby arrived at our meeting point well before me and the member of staff in charge of us had already ticked us both off as being present even though I didn´t arrive for at least another 10 minutes. She then just checked our lifejackets were fastened correctly and told us that we had ´passed the test´ and could take them of for the rest of the drill. She joked with another member of staff throughout the drill so that we couldn´t hear the tannoy announcements and, at the end of the drill, had to be reminded to tell us where our lifeboat was actually situated (our muster point was outside the Royal Fireworks lounge and apparently our boat was one floor up accessed through a fire exit there). We have always felt that the drill was taken seriously on the ´Dream´ (as it may well have been at other muster points on the Majesty) but our drill did leave a lot to be desired.

RESTAURANTS/BARS AND FOOD/DRINK

Can´t say much about the two self-service restaurants as we never ate there but they were very handy for getting frequent cups (mugs) of Tea or Coffee.

We ate breakfast and lunch in the Seven Seas MDR each day and had dinner in the Four Seasons that only opens at night. We really enjoyed the half buffet/half waiter service atmosphere at breakfast and the hot food was always lovely and warm with so much choice; Hubby got addicted to the Óld English´ Porridge and I loved the smoked fish that changed on a daily basis. Lunch was Buffet style on departure day - carvery plus many other hot and cold main course options - but full waiter service after that, We had a different table each mealtime but always managed to be given one for just 2 people (its not that we are anti-social but I have impaired hearing and find it embarrassing that I cannot hear what people say to me so sharing with strangers is a nightmare for me).

We loved the Four Seasons restaurant at night and were always one of the first couples in when the doors opened; I explained to the Maitre d´ about my deafness and he suggested we have the same table for 2 each evening to guarantee we would not have to share with anyone. We were lucky to be allocated a table run by Geny and Ricky who were a laugh a minute whilst being very professional.

Now for the food! I can honestly say that there wasn´t a single meal when we were not spoiled for choice as to what to order. Every dish was delicious (the Beef Wellington, Lamb Shanks and Beef Madras Curry probably just top our list of favourites but everything was excellent) and always hot/attractively presented; plates were always warm too which makes a nice change. I am far from sweet toothed but the Desserts were absolutely delicious which probably explains how I have put on 12 pounds in a week!!! We liked the fa ct that we were automatically offered Coffee at the end of each meal whereas we had to ask for this - and it didn´t always arrive - on the Dream. We didn´t book a drinks package (it was 420 pounds by the time we booked) so just had water with lunch (lovely iced water with glasses re-filled very frequently) but had half a bottle of wine with Dinner each evening - the second half was saved by the wine staff for the following night; the house Rose was OK but certainly nothing special so, after the first bottle, we swapped to the Rose d´Anjou that was 2 pounds a bottle dearer and much nicer.

Bar drinks were pricey by our local standards but maybe similar to what you would pay in the UK We didn´t over indulge, but didn´t scrimp either, and our weekly bill - including the 4 bottles of wine we had had with Dinner - was 150 pounds.

We far preferred having bars on several decks to them all being together as on the Dream and enjoyed wandering from one to another at will listening to different types of music.

ENTERTAINMENT

We really enjoyed the entertainment throughout the ship. After Dinner each evening we went to the ´Royal Fireworks´ lounge where we listened to the trio ´Rhythm Of 3´ then stayed for the first quiz at 8 p.m. before going on to the Jubilee Lounge for the first show. We enjoyed all the shows and thought the show team were talented and well rehearsed: we especially enjoyed the West End night with extracts from 5 Men Called Mo, Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Les Mis. The final nights show was a Rock tribute which we really enjoyed but, sadly, a lot of the older passengers left the theatre after a few minutes as the music just wasn´t for them. We didn´t watch the guest comedian but thoroughly enjoyed the guest singer show by ex-Drifters singer ´Steve´. The afternoon Fashion Show on the sea day was an enjoyable way of passing an hour before getting dolled up. Both the music groups - Mussik Unlimited and Rhythm Of 3 were excellent. We never found where the clasical duo were playing so can´t comment on them, the pianist we found rather boring but most other people seemed to enjoy him.

We found the Jubilee Lounge pleasant - not as comfortable as the threatre on the Dream and harder to get a seat but with excellent accousitcs. Had a lovely surprise one evening when we met fellow CC member Fittodrop in there - so lovely to put a face to a name.

The Cruise Director was Katie who, bless her, put her heart and soul into everything she did but to us came over a bit OTT compared with Bram and Stephen Guy on the Dream. The two Adams and Josh plus other members of the entertainment team were very good.

CREW

Mainly from the Phillipines but quite a few from eastern Europe too and, without exception, we found them all to be excellent and so obliging. The Captain was Greek and very approachable - no long stories as we got from the German captain on the Dream! As always, the crew are the best part of a Thomson cruise and are worth their weight in gold.

DESTINATION PORTS

BARCELONA - one of our favourite cities and somewhere we know very well We docked further out than when we last sailed into there on the Dream so took the shuttle bus from the port to the bottom of Las Ramblas (3 Euro return fare or 2 Euros for a single). We enjoyed a glass of Cava (3€) at one of the bar stalls in the La Boqueria market then wandered around the Gothic Quarter visiting the Cathedral (free entry) which we love; just to make it clear for people whio have not visited Barcelona before - the Sagrada Familia is NOT the Cathedral, it is a Basilica and in a completely different part of the city.

TOULON - We expected everywhere to be closed on a Sunday but there was a Rugby match on between Toulon and Leinster so the place was full of Irish supporters and the seafront area absolutely buzzing. We visited the excellent Naval Museum (admission 6 Euros including audio guide hire but with a 1.50€ discount for cruise passengers so only 9€ for the 2 of us) then had a walk around the busy Provençal market.

MAHON - We really enjoyed our time in Mahon and it is somewhere that we must return to for a longer visit. Just walked around the old city then did some shopping in the shops surrounding the market.

VALENCIA - Fog closed Valencia port until late morning so we were 3 hours late docking. The previous evening we had pre.booked a 5 pound per person Thomson shuttle bus into the city (the port is 5km out of the centre) but, as an ´apology´ for the late docking it was announced that all payments would be refunded so the shuttle was free. However, as it was getting on for 1 p.m. by the time non-excursion passengers were allowed to disembark, we decided to stay on board and save a trip into Valencia city for a future visit.

CARTAGENA - What a lovely place! We docked just 5 minutes walk from the main centre and spent a lovely few hours just wandering around the back streets - and yet another market LOL. Again somewhere we must return to.

MALAGA - Our local city and somewhere we visit very frequently - therefore we stayed on board until time to disembark and come home; however, I would highly recommend you go in if it is somewhere you have not visited before (lovely architecture, hundreds of little streets with a surprise around each corner, great musuems, indoor market and some of the best Tapas bars you will find anywhere. It is a long walk from the cruise terminal into the city centre so the 3€ shuttle train is worth taking if you have any mobility issues.

CONCLUSION

A fabulous week. The ship far exceeded our expectations and we will definitely sail on her again; having loved our 2 previous cruises on the Dream we expectd to feel a little disappointed but cannot believe that we are now saying how much we preferred the Majesty (having said that we are still looking forward to being on the Dream again in November). Just wish there were departures from Malaga planned by Thomson next year but sadly not.

Edited by campolady

Thanks for the review! Very good to read. It does seem like they have really turned Majesty around. Not heard one bad review since it has started its new season.

So glad it didn´t bore you too much Sailaway!

Campolady, I thought you were spot on with your review! We also had an excellent week, couldn't believe the superb weather. We particularly enjoyed the ports of call and the entertainment in the show lounge and thought the show team very talented especially Sebastian Kelly - watch out for this guy! Two minor negatives, the lighting in the Jubilee lounge was dazzling when sat on the side seats? Sorry didn't find you, I approached two ladies with husbands who fit your description, but then got paranoid that I would be known as a stalker!

Great review campolady :) We loved the ship too and I hope we are going to enjoy it as much next time. You were lucky that you actually did the drill on the ship. We did ours on the coach on the Dream last year :eek: so no idea where our life boat was. Actually, if there was a real emergency, I think you would be put in any lifeboat. Surely they wouldn't wait for everyone allocated that lifeboat to arrive :confused:

We certainly thought the food was much better than the Dream (I won't mention the illness :o:D)

I agree about the lights Jay Mac. We sat there one afternoon for a play and it is very dazzling. Did you use the buffet as we like to eat about 8pm and last time it was so busy, we used the buffet most nights. This was my only gripe about the ship (apart from the terrible hairdryer!!) I think it would have been better as two sittings for dinner as they had on the Destiny, although we do like anytime dining :rolleyes:

Hi campolady,

Great review, but I now have another question, do you know if the entertainers that were on board with you will still be there this summer?

You mentioned Rhythm of 3, that name rings a bell, I think we have previously seen them on the dream, and if the same trio, we loved them, perfect for relaxing after dinner.

Regards,

Charabanc

:)

Thanks for the review. We booked Wednesday for the 2nd of May and it was good to read your positive comments. What was the air con like? On the Dream, in January, it was quite fierce and we were cold in the evenings.

Thanks for the review! Very good to read. It does seem like they have really turned Majesty around. Not heard one bad review since it has started its new season.

guess you dont go on the facebook site then, its been getting slated for cold food on there and other things, but we enjoyed it last year and are going again on 30th may.

Paul

Hi campolady,

Great review, but I now have another question, do you know if the entertainers that were on board with you will still be there this summer?

You mentioned Rhythm of 3, that name rings a bell, I think we have previously seen them on the dream, and if the same trio, we loved them, perfect for relaxing after dinner.

Regards,

Charabanc

:)

Yes - according to the entertainment team members we spoke to they are there for the whole Summer season.

guess you dont go on the facebook site then, its been getting slated for cold food on there and other things, but we enjoyed it last year and are going again on 30th may.

Paul

As I put in my review, I can´t speak for the Self Service Buffets as we didn´t eat there but the food was always hot in both Seven Seas and Four Seasons.

Great review campolady and agree with you 100% - I was on the same week as you and in cabin 454 - bit on the small side, very quiet and mid ship

One of the crew Jackie dedicated a song for me, my birthday and I missed it - bought the CD so hoping to catch him on that

Hubby thought the food was fantastic, as did I - hoping to go again

Just won a mini cruise so have to get that over with first

Thanks for the review. We booked Wednesday for the 2nd of May and it was good to read your positive comments. What was the air con like? On the Dream, in January, it was quite fierce and we were cold in the evenings.

Hi Maggie

We are on the same cruise 2 May so we may get to say hello! I've sent you a friend request.

Look for a short fat lady with fair hair,wearing a black top with a red flower pinned to it lol.

We are flying from Doncaster - I guess you will be flying from East Mid?

Flopsy

Hi Maggie

We are on the same cruise 2 May so we may get to say hello! I've sent you a friend request.

Look for a short fat lady with fair hair,wearing a black top with a red flower pinned to it lol.

We are flying from Doncaster - I guess you will be flying from East Mid?

Flopsy

Hi. Yes luckily there were seats left on the East Mids flight. It's only 20mins from home. After 20+ years in education it's nice to able to book holidays when we want. I think I've done the friend request.:) Looking forward to going on the Majesty as it's only Thomson ship we haven't been on.

Still got that red flower Flopsy? :D or is it new one? :p

Hey Linda I've got a bunch of them now! Purple, pink, red, silver! Last time we were on holiday in a hotel a fellow guest fell for my red poppy and commented on it so often I ended up giving it to her! Can't find another one the same- can't remember where I bought it from lol.

Flopsy