Alaska Airlines or American Airlines?

canadianbear

We are flying from Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale (for the first time ever) and have a choice of Alaska or American Airlines. Both leave within 2 hours of each other and same cost.

My question is mainly which is more comfortable for someone that is "bigger" as in 6'4"? We can only afford economy and have never been on either airlines. Has anyone that is tall been on both and have any input?

Thank you.

Without doing major research, your AA flight should offer you the option of Main Cabin Extra, which is an upsell to a seat with greater legroom. See if that meets your needs.

Alaska does not have an equivalent. Otherwise, I've been quite happy with the AS product.

Your first Alaska (AS) flight would be to Seattle on a Dash-8, a commuter plane with very small and tight seats; of course it's only 40 minutes or so tops. Then you'd be put on a 737 for the nonstop flight to Fort Lauderdale.

With American (AA) you'd be on a 737 nonstop to Dallas, connecting to a second 737 to FLL. You'd have time to stretch your legs at DFW.

Personally I'd pop for Main Cabin Extra on the AA flights, rather then enduring the puddle jumper followed by crunch coach on the AS mainline flight.

My question is mainly which is more comfortable for someone that is "bigger" as in 6'4"? We can only afford economy

At 6'4", every standard economy seat is going to feel like your knees are in your face. The ONLY way I'd consider that for a transcontinental trip would be if you can book an economy seat with extra leg room. I don't know what either AA or Alaska's policies are on selecting bulkhead or exit row seats (some airlines charge more for these, restrict them to elite level frequent flyers, or for assignment at the gate.) Or.... pay extra for a seat in either airline's version of economy plus/economy comfort.

Without doing major research, your AA flight should offer you the option of Main Cabin Extra, which is an upsell to a seat with greater legroom.

Alaska does not have an equivalent.

And there you go. That would likely make it an easy choice if it was me.:)

Thank you for all your opinions, it is appreciated. We decided to use air miles (so can't upgrade) and just suck up the lack of leg room-hoping my husband gets an aisle seat at least and can get up and down. Will probably book the American Airlines since it does break up the flight more and don't like the idea of the Dash-8.

Thanks again for all your help.:)

I cannot speak specifically to the air program you are using as you don't say if this is AS Mileage Plan, AA Aadvantage or the Canadian "AirMiles".

AA's Main Cabin Extra is an add-on ala carte purchase, and should be available for purchase. It is NOT considered an "upgrade", so any upgrade rules should not apply.

I would suggest contacting AA directly to see if MCE is available for purchase on your unknown program award tickets.

I cannot speak specifically to the air program you are using as you don't say if this is AS Mileage Plan, AA Aadvantage or the Canadian "AirMiles".

AA's Main Cabin Extra is an add-on ala carte purchase, and should be available for purchase. It is NOT considered an "upgrade", so any upgrade rules should not apply.

I would suggest contacting AA directly to see if MCE is available for purchase on your unknown program award tickets.

The Airmiles card is a Canadian card and can not be used towards an upgrade only for the one way flight. When booked using our Airmiles card we were not given the option to add on MCE unfortunately. My husband said he is ok with being a sardine for a few hours. :)

The Airmiles card is a Canadian card and can not be used towards an upgrade only for the one way flight. When booked using our Airmiles card we were not given the option to add on MCE unfortunately. My husband said he is ok with being a sardine for a few hours. :)
OK....it was Airmiles. IIRC, that uses points that apply towards the dollar amount of the ticket. In any case, have you tried going to the AA website and seeing if you can buy up to MCE for your ticket that you now have. This would be a separate transaction apart from the ticket purchase. And again, this has nothing to do with an "upgrade".

You do in two steps (assuming American is the same as Delta and United). You book your flight with Air Miles. Once booked you phone American Airlines and ask how much it costs to get Economy with the extra leg room or a bulkhead seat.

Not sure if you've booked your flights yet, but Alaska now has new Boeing 737's with the new slimmer seats. I flew in from San Diego last month and noticed that there seemed to be more leg room because of the new seats. Don't know if the flight will have the new plane, but might be worth the chance.

Edited by chrismakris

Not sure if you've booked your flights yet, but Alaska now has new Boeing 737's with the new slimmer seats. I flew in from San Diego last month and noticed that there seemed to be more leg room because of the new seats. Don't know if the flight will have the new plane, but might be worth the chance.

And that is a question of "chance". Will you get a newer aircraft or not? OTOH, all of the AA aircraft have MCE.

Thanks for the ideas! Really appreciate all this info. We did book using our airmiles on American Air. We are currently away but when we get back I will phone them and ask how much it would cost (if they allow it) to have seats with extra leg room.

Thank you all again.:)

I wouldn't go out of the way to fly one of the 737s. Those "slim" seats are very uncomfortable. You definitely notice the lack of seat padding; my coccyx hurts for days after a cross country flight on one of these.