Do not Disturb sign not honored -- any real crew rules?

Catlover54

I was seasick today before dinner time and decided not to go out of the room for dinner, Our butler and his female assistant had both seen us going in and out of our rooms earlier, fine, and had even delivered lunchroom service. I sent my husband to go dine alone and he told the female assistant to the butler that I was seasick and I'd be staying in to lie down. We put a do not disturb sign on the door. An hour later I had just fallen asleep and the phone blasted me awake, repeated rings, would not stop. No going back to sleep, so I finally found the light switch, phone had stopped, and went to the bathroom, during which time the butler and the female charged into the room to ask if I wanted anything and present me with tomorrow's port news. I expressed annoyance that they had called and woken me from my sleep, and then charged into the room despite my obvious do not disturb sign and prior discussion. The butler said it is "our policy" to go into the room if they have not serviced it that day, "to make sure you are ok". Guess do not disturb means, "Please disturb whenever you feel like it" whether it makes sense to do so or not.

If that is a policy, it's a poor one. I could see, maybe, if it got beyond 24 hours that the butler might want to alert management, but other than that DND should mean DND. I think I would have had a talk with management about it.

DND sign on door does not mean no phone calls. Obviously, others who might call would not know that there was a sign on the door. I can understand that staff might come in if the phone was not answered. Occupant could be VERY ill or injured. Or the sign might have inadvertently not been removed when occupant(s) went out to dinner. On ships and in hotels I have on many occasions had calls when DND sign was up -- sometimes asking if I really did not want housekeeping service that day.

I guess one must also post a handwritten sign, with a date and time on it, saying, " Last I checked, I have a pulse, have no emergency, Do NOT disturb".

I'm all about safety, but having witnessed you earlier, and your husband notified them you were resting, I find that rude crew behaviour. I would have been irked, and not very polite. I'm all about an afternoon nap, and hate to be disturbed. Tomorrows port of call schedule could have been slid under your door. I would have left the incident on the comment card, to give customer feedback on this "policy". But that's just me. I also don't expect any calls, except for home emergencies.

Our butler told us at the start of the cruise that if the do not disturb sign was up for "a long time", they would come in to check on us. I have no idea what a long time is, but if they had seen you coming and going during the day, it couldn't be that long.

At the risk of being redundant, please allow me to remind readers that there was an unanswered telephone call. A reasonable person/butler might reasonably assume that the suite was unoccupied or, on the other hand, something was seriously amiss. I have neglected to remove DND signs in the past, and I am certain others as well.

At the risk of being redundant, please allow me to remind readers that there was an unanswered telephone call. A reasonable person/butler might reasonably assume that the suite was unoccupied or, on the other hand, something was seriously amiss. I have neglected to remove DND signs in the past, and I am certain others as well.
Or they were in the shower, or too "engaged" to bother with the phone.