The term FOB?

samssham

Forgive me if this is a ridiculous question, as I'm new to the board and cruises in general, but I've been seeing the acronym FOB being tossed around couldn't couldn't help but be curious as to why. In my experience, it's had somewhat of a negative connotation to it as it was used when saying the word gay was taboo. I don't mean to start any kind of argument, of course, but I'd love to hear what more experienced cruisers have to say about it. Are gay and lesbian events often listed as FOB in cruise schedules or is it a term used more on these boards? Do you view it as interchangeable with GLBT (LGBTQIA)?

Do you means FOD? If you do it means Friends of Dorothy. As in Dorothy Gale from the wizard of Oz. I don't think there is a negative connotation to it. The term is kind of old fashioned in 2015, and the feelings are that younger gay people might not know what it means.

Wow, apologies on my end.. I definitely meant FOD. Note to self: don't start threads when you're on the verge of going to bed. :p

Do you means FOD? If you do it means Friends of Dorothy. As in Dorothy Gale from the wizard of Oz. I don't think there is a negative connotation to it. The term is kind of old fashioned in 2015, and the feelings are that younger gay people might not know what it means.

So is it trying to attract an older (as opposed to younger) generation of gay cruisers?

Edited by samssham

So is it trying to attract an older (as opposed to younger) generation of gay cruisers?

No, it's just code, a closet-term left over from the old days. It gets tossed around here on CC probably for ease of reference to the "get togethers" on board, but I personally believe that cruise lines that still use it should stop doing so. We don't need closet names any longer, plus there are too many people who just don't know what it means.

I wrote to NCL many years ago about this and urged them to start using LGBT, which they did.

Last time I cruised Norwegian, the evening get together was titled, Friends Of Dorthy LGBT get together.

Several years ago, during the FOD/LGBT get together some of the more elderly argued for keeping the FOD term for historical purposes to help the younger generation remember how far we have come....others of course made the argument that the PP did - some don't know what it is so don't go. I am happy with the current title but know that others aren't.

Funny story - a straight female friend of mine (VaGirl) on here, knew what Friends of Dorthy was. When she saw the Friends of Bill meeting posted, she thought it must be something similar for unattached ladies (not sure how she made that leap!) until she waltzed in with her glass of white wine:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Everything everybody said ^^

I am in my mid twenties, know a fair amount about our history, but didn't know what FOD was until cruise critic. I haven't met anybody in my age bracket who knew, either. If I was on a sailing with that acronym and hadn't ever been here, it would likely just blend in to my eyes.

I know a few lines (Carnival, NCL) announce GLBT/LGBT meets. My family actually went this winter and told me they saw the meeting on their sailing as such--because they can identify it. It's commonplace now (thankfully), not taboo.

I don't take FOD as derogatory, just an aging term in a forever-younger world.

The FOD reference was and has been used in many other respects than cruising. Does anyone else remember Murray's assessment of Christian's sexual preference in the movie "Clueless" (circa. 1995)? I am of an age where I remember it being a quite common colloquialism in and out of the LGBT community.

However, that being said, it is outdated and rarely used today with any sincerity. As someone else mentioned, it may be referenced with a hint of nostalgia rather than for the purpose of cloaking the nature of the gathering.

I like this story:

In the early 1980s, the Naval Investigative Service was investigating homosexuality in the Chicago area. Agents discovered that gay men sometimes referred to themselves as "friends of Dorothy." Unaware of the historical meaning of the term, the NIS believed that there actually was some woman named Dorothy at the center of a massive ring of homosexual military personnel, so they launched an enormous and futile hunt for the elusive "Dorothy", hoping to find her and convince her to reveal the names of gay servicemembers.

Reference: Wikipedia

• 1 month later...

I don't mind the FOD but younger people sometimes have no idea what that means. It can also get mixed up for the AA folks. We were at the "FOD" meeting once in the champagne lounge when a nice woman asked if women were welcome also. We of course said "yes".

After hearing a lot about gay marriage and one guy telling her that his sister was a lesbian the light bulb started to glow. She asked if it was the Friends of Bill W meeting (Alcoholics Anonymous) and scurried away when she found out that it wasn't.

Since we all had a cocktail or wine she must have thought that we had fallen off the wagon and into the gutter. We felt bad for her and hoped that she found her correct meeting.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, apologies on my end.. I definitely meant FOD. Note to self: don't start threads when you're on the verge of going to bed. :p

Off the subject, love your video, how did you make it? Meaning cut and past the different videos together.

• 3 weeks later...
Off the subject, love your video, how did you make it? Meaning cut and past the different videos together.

Yes, it was awesome! I'd love to know what camera you used a what video making software you made it with.

• 2 weeks later...

You've had your answers.... it was easy to ask another closeted person "Oh hi, are you a friend of Dorothy's? " to know if you were on the same team.

Which Dorothy however is still in question. Some think the reference is to Dorothy Parker, who penned many gems including

"I like a martini, two at the most. Three I'm under the table. Four, I'm under the host."

:D

Stephen

Yes, it was awesome! I'd love to know what camera you used a what video making software you made it with.

I used a Go Pro White Edition 3 (the cheapest one :p) and then edited it together on iMovie. Thanks so much for the compliments!