Oceana Gym.. any chance of getting in before 8am?

janem2

This thread proves to me that there are some very selfish people that currently cruise who have no consideration for others as long as they get what they want. I dare bet the same people if they were in a cabin below a deck where staff dragged sunbeds across the floor and woke them up they would be the first to complain at reception. Its a case of I am alright but stuff anyone else.

Edited by majortom10

This thread proves to me that there are some very selfish people that currently cruise who have no consideration for others as long as they get what they want. I dare bet the same people if they were in a cabin below a deck where staff dragged sunbeds across the floor and woke them up they would be the first to complain at reception. Its a case of I am alright but stuff anyone else.

I dont think its a case of selfishness at all.

I dont think the OP of this thread even knew that the gym was above cabins or that noise would carry through the floor of the gym to the cabins below.

I dont think your average punter would be aware of what is above or below the gym or many other parts of a ship.

To be honest, though I havent given it much thought, I would presume the bridge is under the gym on most ships and not cabins and I would think the reason for the 8am start would be the gym staff's timetable and not any other reason.

well having nothing to do at this unearthly hour of the morning, I thought I would look at the deck plans for each ship. This is what is underneath the gym in each case.

Adonia-a couple of cabins at the very front

Azura-cabins underneath

Arcadia-white space underneath, so I guess you would be waking the captain up,as its probably the bridge and his cabin underneath.

Aurora-inside cabins

Oceana-inside/balcony cabins

Oriana-inside/outside cabins

Ventura-balcony cabins

If I had splashed out on a balcony cabin I would be jolly miffed if I had someone making a noise above that early in the morning.

So do people every look at deck plans when booking a cruise.

Or as one suspects, does one just see the price, book it, then find out about the good/bad cabins.

I will try and find something else to do now.

Blimey, I think some posters need to lighten up, before they either give themselves a heart attack or turn into manic depressives.:eek:

So do people every look at deck plans when booking a cruise.

Or as one suspects, does one just see the price, book it, then find out about the good/bad cabins.

I will try and find something else to do now.

I would think that if you are booking a select price, you will research your cabin and location. If you are booking a saver fare then you have no control over which cabin you are going to be in. It is common knowledge that saver fares are given the worst cabins.

I would think that if you are booking a select price, you will research your cabin and location. If you are booking a saver fare then you have no control over which cabin you are going to be in. It is common knowledge that saver fares are given the worst cabins.

It isnt common knowledge at all they are given what is available at the time and this could be a cabin in a good position due to late cancellations I know I have been in one so you are completely wrong.

Anyone that books a cruise without looking at the deck plans of the ship either in the brochure or on P&Os website is a fool and deserves all they get.

I could just as easily say anyone paying full price is also a fool, but then again I enjoy the last minute bargains so keep paying top dollar so I can pickup my bargains !!

As for inconsiderate.. perhaps if I like to gym at 6am it means I am not singing along the corridor at 2am?

I didnt get that bit. Can you explain, or do I have to work it out.

Have you ever wondered if there maybe any cabins near the gyms. Your inconsiderate behaviour might spoil someone elses cruise by starting before the given opening times. Believe me its no fun.

That can be said of corridors, fire exits, staff entrances, etc,

These areas can cause noise if the right people are in the right place at the right time.

Are cabins/staterooms near public areas cheaper ?

Anyone that books a cruise without looking at the deck plans of the ship either in the brochure or on P&Os website is a fool and deserves all they get.

If I booked a cabin that happened to be near the gym/theatre/launderette/lifts/stairs etc I would presume it would be adequately sound proofed to as not have the nearby facility resonating in my cabin.

If I booked a cabin that happened to be near the gym/theatre/launderette/lifts/stairs etc I would presume it would be adequately sound proofed to as not have the nearby facility resonating in my cabin.

Unfortunately as per my earlier post. As ships get larger and larger, they have to try and counter that ,with making the topmost parts lighter and lighter. Soundproofing or lack of is one way they can save weight.

I watched a prog about it once-probably on quest-and you would be amazed what some of the parts are made of above the prom deck.

Threatre-well having had a cabin above one once on a fred ship, because of the amplification we attended every show-even in our cabin. If in it during the day we also heard them rehearsing. I don't think there is a lot they could do to stop that sound..we would never book in a similar position again.

Launderette-well they are locked until 8am,to stop people using them all hours of the day and night..so that would answer that question.

lifts/stairs..the lifts you never hear, its the people waiting for the lifts sometimes.

When we had S2 on Arcadia, next to Crows Nest, you never heard the lifts, but OH said you could hear when the CN finished their quiz in the evening, and people were talking loudly, whilst waiting for the lifts

Hi. I like to go to the gym before breakfast (otherwise I never get there!). I see the gym opens at 8am. Has anyone tried to get in earlier? Were you successful? Any tips?

Thanks

J

As you say elsewhere -a simple question ;)

Sadly, gyms are foreign places to me but my husband likes to use them. What he has done previously, is split his usual routine and go more regularly onboard. Thus,if going at 8.00, he could still have a breakfast and attend an event at 10.00.

However, we only eat a light breakfast which is self service.

That's my tip :)

I think on Oceana recently, there were one or two organised fitness classes before 8.00.

I hope you enjoy your cruise.