Oceana Gym.. any chance of getting in before 8am?

janem2

Have you ever wondered if there maybe any cabins near the gyms. Your inconsiderate behaviour might spoil someone elses cruise by starting before the given opening times. Believe me its no fun.

I don't think someone wanting to use the gym is inconsiderate. It's a fault of the ships design if noise is heard in nearby cabins.

The gym is an advertised facility and most ships gyms are busy from 6am onwards so there is demand for early opening.

If it says 8am opening then it says it for a reason and think it is very inconsiderate to try and sneak in before. How would you like it if somebody sneaked into your cabin while you were asleep and started jumping around. There are cabins on A deck below the gymnasium and that is the reason why it does not open until 8am.

Such a simple question and yet such a response. Do I take it the answer is no (for whatever reason)? :-)

As for inconsiderate.. perhaps if I like to gym at 6am it means I am not singing along the corridor at 2am?

J

Such a simple question and yet such a response. Do I take it the answer is no (for whatever reason)? :-)

As for inconsiderate.. perhaps if I like to gym at 6am it means I am not singing along the corridor at 2am?

J

Well said.

I don't know the answer to your original question but I suspect it will be no. You might just have to consider having a later breakfast I'm afraid. Or having a power walk around the decks as a warm up! 😊

J

It was a simple question that you answered it yourself and if P&O say gym doesnt open until 8am then you should abide by that rule. You then went on to ask for "tips" on how to break that rule so says a lot about you and the answers you got.

If the reason for the 8am start is noise in the cabins below the gym then I wouldnt want to be in one of those cabins at all.

What about a lie in till 10am? What about an afternoon siesta?

On Ventura there was a sign by the free weights asking you not to drop them on the floor as I believe the "thud" could be heard in the cabins below.

If you book an under gym cabin are they sold cheaper? Is there any warning of potential noise?

Seems that both the gym go'ers and the passengers in the cabins beneath are both disadvantaged by this situation.

If the reason for the 8am start is noise in the cabins below the gym then I wouldnt want to be in one of those cabins at all.

What about a lie in till 10am? What about an afternoon siesta?

On Ventura there was a sign by the free weights asking you not to drop them on the floor as I believe the "thud" could be heard in the cabins below.

If you book an under gym cabin are they sold cheaper? Is there any warning of potential noise?

Seems that both the gym go'ers and the passengers in the cabins beneath are both disadvantaged by this situation.

Which is why if someone is prepared to pay select fares, and has done their homework they would not pick cabins under public decks, under the gym, above the theatre ect. The laundry rooms do not open until 8am for a similar reason.

As to ships not having cabins under the gym etc, what do they have under them...something has to go there.

As to ships not having cabins under the gym etc, what do they have under them...something has to go there.

Or put the gym on a low deck, below the cabins?

Though I wouldnt appreciate it as one of the nicest parts of been a a ships treadmill is the view from the full length windows.

My adult children used the gym on Oceana and well before 8 am.:eek:

Of course you would not have dreamt of booking a cabin underneath the gym would you, because of the possible noise.

Basically I think it comes down to respect for fellow man. Treat others as you would expect to be treated.

One of the things being in the forces...in the dim and distant past.... taught me is how to live in close proximity with others, so you do not annoy each other.

Maybe on a review somewhere there is somebody complaining about how they had booked this wonderful cruise and it was ruined by somebody waking them each and every morning before 8am.

Of course you would not have dreamt of booking a cabin underneath the gym would you, because of the possible noise.

Basically I think it comes down to respect for fellow man. Treat others as you would expect to be treated.

One of the things being in the forces...in the dim and distant past.... taught me is how to live in close proximity with others, so you do not annoy each other.

Maybe on a review somewhere there is somebody complaining about how they had booked this wonderful cruise and it was ruined by somebody waking them each and every morning before 8am.

Most people using a cruise ship gym would have absolutely no idea they were directly above cabins and even if they did it would be entirely logical to presume there was more than adequate sound proofing between the two.

I or my children didn't know it wasn't open before 8 am and nobody stopped them using the gym. Sorry if this disturbed anyone.:eek:

J

I have just been on Oceana and used the gym quite a bit. It is generally locked until staff turn up and open it. If you do find it unlocked and manage to sneak in, you will probably be asked to leave. The gym staff are nice people but I found the gym to be small and not that will equipped. On the port side there are about 4 bikes, 3 cross trainers, 5 treadmills and 6 weight machines. In a different room on the starboard side there are 2 weight machines, 2 racks of free weights and 3 benches. The average age of cruisers was quite high on my cruise which meant the gym was not crowded and it was quite easy to use most of the equipment. Staff do use it too, so be prepared to share when they are all in there.

BTW don't worry about some of the responses you got. It is generally the same people who have a 'sour attitude', hope I never have to cruise with them!:eek:

In my experience the gym opening times have been clearly indicated outside the gym and also in the Daily Horizon programme.

I think P & O are now using the less attractive cabin locations to fill the Saver Fare bookings. If you find yourself allocated one of these cabins you really do have to complain on a near hourly basis to be moved.

That's the reason its inconsiderate for anyone to use the gym outside the listed opening times.

Hi. I like to go to the gym before breakfast (otherwise I never get there!). I see the gym opens at 8am. Has anyone tried to get in earlier? Were you successful? Any tips?

Thanks

Hi, we used the gym every sea day on Azura during a trans-Atlantic crossing. We tried (and failed) to enter the gym before its official opening time. From memory the pilates(?) class started at 7:30am, but otherwise the gym doors were locked - no-one else allowed in until 8am. Then we went for breakfast approx 45 mins later.

Whether you can start your gym session may well depend on the staff at the time, so you may be lucky. Usually I like to get my holiday exercise by dancing all night but the extra gym sessions came in handy - only gained 3 lbs in 17 days!

I like to go to the gym before breakfast too and always request 7.30 opening on my cruise questionnaire. That gives time to get a quick shower and get to the restaurant. otherwise one is doomed to the Snatch and Grab, or do without breakfast.

We have in the past chosen a cabin under the Gym (or the Spa on another cruise) because we're fairly light sleepers. There's not people moving around noisily up there too early in the morning so we'd be disappointed if people used it earlier. For us holidays are about relaxing, late nights then sleeping late the next morning before dashing down for breakfast in the MDR just before it closes! :D

Edited by tartanexile81

I have the answer....

Some people wish to use the gym early morning.

Anyone who wishes to use the gym early morning has to agree to book a cabin underneath it.

How. About that.

It would be nice not to have cabins underneath,or if they have to , to soundproof it.

However as ships get larger and larger there has to be a compromise. That is usually anything above prom deck level is made of as lightweight material as possible.