first cruise/ passport question

soonergirl15

I was just wondering if we need our passports here? I know to cruise we don't if we are leaving and returning to the same US port....This will be our first time to cruise leaving out of Galveston in Dec. I have read that we will need our passport in Cozumel to do certain things but we had planned just to use our birth certificates for all of us. I have myself, my husband and our 10 yr old twins and possibly my mom going. Just wanted to be able to get off the ship and go to a beach somewhere there. I just don't want to get stuck in Cozumel lol Anyone know anything about this?

You do not need your passports in Coz or any other port - bring your ship room cards and another photo ID; leave your passports on the ship.

I always have a photocopy of the info page from our passports in a pocket of my backpack, just in case we miss the ship. :eek: So far I've never had to use it. :D

Thank you!! We don't have passports at all but have been debating whether to get them. I was just planning on using our birth certificates. I had read that to enter the chankanaab park on their site u have to have a passport to enter. I was thinking of doing the dolphin swim as one of the things to do but not sure now. When I seen that it made me wonder about the passport thing.

It has been a while since my kids did the dolphin thing there and I do not recall a passport requirement - maybe something new?

Carnival has a deal with the dolphin excursions at Chank; if you try to book on your own you may save some $$ but will need to tell them that you are on another cruise line in port that day or staying at one of the local tourist hotels. It's not hard to get around this to save $$, but you would need your passport. If you book through Carnival you'll pay more but do not need to spend $100+ each for passports.

Edited by JohninDC

Thank you!! We don't have passports at all but have been debating whether to get them. I was just planning on using our birth certificates. I had read that to enter the chankanaab park on their site u have to have a passport to enter. I was thinking of doing the dolphin swim as one of the things to do but not sure now. When I seen that it made me wonder about the passport thing.

Don't know where you read that. I was at Chankanaab a month ago. You don't need a passport for Cozumel or to enter Chankanaab Park.

The dolphindiscovery.com site.

I looked up prices to the swim with dolphins etc when u click on the encounter button and on the part where it gives u the additional info it says

(copied from their site)

ADDITIONAL INFO

IMPORTANT: a valid passport is an essential requirement to visit Cozumel

That is why I have been asking about it. Didn't kno if they actually require it for here or anywhere else.

The dolphindiscovery.com site.

I looked up prices to the swim with dolphins etc when u click on the encounter button and on the part where it gives u the additional info it says

(copied from their site)

ADDITIONAL INFO

IMPORTANT: a valid passport is an essential requirement to visit Cozumel

That is why I have been asking about it. Didn't kno if they actually require it for here or anywhere else.

You need a passport if you fly to Cozumel. International air travel requires a passport. On a closed loop cruise, that begins and ends at the same US port you don't need a passport. You can use a birth certificate. It is better though to have passport. That is another topic. If there were an emergency or you missed the ship you need a passport to fly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

We did not need passports at Chankanaab several years ago (4 I think) but I guess that could have changed. I would be wary about taking my passport off the ship though just in case. You shouldn't need it at any of the ports so I"d just leave it on the ship but you could call or email and ask wherever you are going.

Never taken our passports off the ship in Coz, just a photo copy of them. I did notice that my last 2 cruises out of NOLA had an "express" line for those people who used passports vs those who didn't. We were given a lower zone number for boarding which got us on faster than those who had to wait in the other line.