13 Carry-On Packing List

LMW1330

I recently accepted a packing challenge upon learning of Lufthansa's stringent carryon requirements of 17 pounds. Although my 11 Day cruise to France, Spain, Italy, Greece, and Turkey, isn't for awhile, I thought I would take on the challenge of packing light, um extremely light. So this is exactly what I found to fit into a VERY small duffel that would fit easily underneath a typical aircraft seat.

First off, my Gold Grecian Sandals. They worked because they were very flat shaped and the straps were very compact. The same could not be said for my bulky TEVAS, which I guess I could leave behind, but I could not imagine the Greek ruins without them, so in they go. Next, two light to medium weight sundresses from Sahalie, 2 lightweight camisoles, 5 Tee shirts made from a polyester/rayon material from Eddie Bauer, Two pairs of Columbia Anytime Pants, 1 Little Black Dress, 1 Nightshirt, and 1 Swimsuit. I also packed 3 days worth of Exofficio underwear and 2 bras. Needless to say, I will be doing laundry or sending out for it on this trip.

In my tote, which is allowed by Lufthansa, I will have my medications, electronic devices, jewelry, and toiletries, although not too many toiletries as I will buy what I need when I get there depending on what it is. On the plane, I will wear palazzo pants with leggings underneath, a camisole with button-up shirt, and cardigan and a pair of Clarks. Well that's it. All 13 lbs.

Edited by LMW1330

Great packing! Have a wonderful time -- and beware of heavy souvenirs! ;)

On our last Lufthansa trip (to Italy, 2 years ago), airline officials roamed around the airport weighing passengers' carry-on luggage with portable scales, so you're very smart to take their weight limit seriously!

• 2 weeks later...

That's awesome! would you mind sharing what brand/type of carry on luggage you are using for this trip. I want to pack light for our viking river cruise and need to get busy to be organized to do so efficiently. :)

Congratulations if this is what you want.

I cannot imagine traveling with so little but that is me. I want to have choices

what to wear. Sure, I don't bring the whole closet but I do bring a bit more than

30 pounds. I can do it in 40-45 which is a big improvement from when I started

traveling. :)

Edited by sail7seas

• 5 weeks later...

The most helpful thing I finally learned to do for business and pleasure travel is to try everything on first it's amazing how much I cut out because I look too fat to whatever and don't end up bringing it. Then I know exactly how I will look in each and every outfit also gives me a chance to mix and match. It's actually less stressful to bring less less to choose from. Now if I could only figure out what to do about the shoes. OY!

I am getting much more into white because I'm so sick of black the rest of the year. However, for a basic simple want to be comfortable night dressy black capris and a silver top. I'm bringing a couple of dresses as well for the two formal nights. Also, a couple of skirts that I will wear a tank and a light cardigan. Pretty jewelry as well to dress up any outfit. I'm packing today leaving on Friday. Can't wait!

I'm using black as my color scheme. My Packing list has even changed somewhat to where I am now taking completely black and white.

I found a white tunic, a black tunic, a black and white tunic, a black and white tank, and a couple of white tees. I was also able to find some reversible knit dresses so I can fit 3 of them with me. That and a black dress for formal night. I am also bringing black leggings and a pair a lightweight black pants

Edited by LMW1330

I'm using black as my color scheme. My Packing list has even changed somewhat to where I am now taking completely black and white.

I found a white tunic, a black tunic, a black and white tunic, a black and white tank, and a couple of white tees. I was also able to find some reversible knit dresses so I can fit 3 of them with me. That and a black dress for formal night. I am also bringing black leggings and a pair a lightweight black pants

Am planning a trip to China so your black and white scheme sounds great. So your tunics will go with your black leggings and one pair of black pants?

You will look great!:)

China sounds awesome! [emoji1] I ordered the tunics from Orvis travelers collection and the two white tees are Travelsmith I liked how Orvis had a no brainer collection going that I picked from and I just added two simple white tees I liked that were on sale from Travelsmith. I didn't care for all of the Orvis collection but thought the tunics were cute and bought one of the tanks which I may or may not take.

Congratulations if this is what you want.

I cannot imagine traveling with so little but that is me. I want to have choices

what to wear. Sure, I don't bring the whole closet but I do bring a bit more than

30 pounds. I can do it in 40-45 which is a big improvement from when I started

traveling. :)

What I want is not to have my luggage lost, stolen, broken, etc. Always where I can find it and handle it myself. I've traveled to Europe before and have seen too many people with their oversized luggage fumbling around. If I can't walk a mile with it or lift it over my head, it doesn't go with me. As far as "choices" go, if you have 10 or 12 pieces of clothing, depending on the pieces and accessories, you can create 20 something looks. I realize and respect that everyone doesn't travel like me, but I certainly wouldn't trade my way of packing for theirs.

When I traveled Europe in a carryon, I stuck to black, white, pink and grey as my color palette. Everything mixed and matched.

I can't quite do it for a cruise. Too many sport related accessories come with us. Dive gear, snorkels, fins, masks, etc.. Maybe someday.

These tops are a rayon viscose polyester blend and my other two are rayon polyester. Some people don't care for synthetic fibers but these actually look very breathable. My only suggestion would be to try cotton/ modal blend that will dry overnight and see if that helps.

When I traveled Europe in a carryon, I stuck to black, white, pink and grey as my color palette. Everything mixed and matched.

I can't quite do it for a cruise. Too many sport related accessories come with us. Dive gear, snorkels, fins, masks, etc.. Maybe someday.

LOL, I don't think it really matters if your dive gear doesn't match your street clothes.

I know the theory of basic colours and maybe 2 accent colours but still find it hard to do when choosing clothes for a trip.

With the China weather, I am hoping for tops that will breathe!

The key is to use neutral colors particularly for bottoms and shoes. You can use more colors for tops if you like, just make sure each top goes with 2 or 3 bottoms so you can still do some mixing and matching. Usually it is easier to do this with solid colors than prints.

LOL, I don't think it really matters if your dive gear doesn't match your street clothes.

The key is to use neutral colors particularly for bottoms and shoes. You can use more colors for tops if you like, just make sure each top goes with 2 or 3 bottoms so you can still do some mixing and matching. Usually it is easier to do this with solid colors than prints.

Well I was talking about being able to fit it all in a carryon not the colors ;) That's why we end up having to check a larger bag. My wetsuit however is pink and black lol.

Edited by sr4mjc