Oriana X520 15 October 2015

Flumble

Hello there!

We are very excited to have booked our second cruise.

Our first with P and O. I have been studying the reviews of the ship, food and day trips and would appreciate any advice, hints or tips that any of you would like to share.

My husband is 48 and I am 38, we are sociable and also enjoy quieter activities. We have booked an Early Saver, inside cabin on A deck and Freedom dining. It's actually the dining options that we are finding a little confusing...

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,

Flumble

x

What are you finding confusing? Freedom dining means you can go to the main dining room anytime between 6-9pm, if there is not a table free you are given a buzzer until one is (normally 20-30 minutes).

Can't remember the name of the Freedom resatuarant but it is the one midships which is good because people in the other one told us it was quite noisy with the movement. We felt nothing in our restaurant.

You can also go in the buffet if you prefer included in your fare or you can choose to pay a supplement and go to one of two other places. One, Sorrento is just an extra £5 and we really liked it but I think it is The Beach House now (or will be soon) The other one is more "fine dining" and in the £25-£30 range but we didn't use it so can't comment on that one.

Edited by P&O SUE

hello! thank you for the quick response.

The confusing bit was whether we are allocated a restaurant and whether we can freely choose the cover charge eateries in addition to the canteen style one.

your advice is most appreciated and clarified the bit I didnt understand. Thank you again.

best,

Flumble

No problem Flumble! Any other questions feel free to ask. We loved Oriana when we went on her last November :) I see you are going to Bruges on your cruise, any idea what you are going to do there? We went there when we were on Oriana.

Oriana is a lovely ship, you'll have a great time.

When you board there will be a card in your cabin confirming your restaurant allocation for the *evening* only- there are three Main Dining Rooms all serving exactly the same menu, its just easier for the ship to manage the passengers split into smaller groups. If you are on freedom dining you have no sitting time, you just go whenever you want. If you fancy a change any evening you can go to the buffet, Al Frescos cafe or book one of the specialty fee restaurants.

During the day you can go to any of the MDRs that are open for breakfast and lunch, its all freedom dining. Your Horizon newspaper will have the daily opening times of all the restaurants.

No problem Flumble! Any other questions feel free to ask. We loved Oriana when we went on her last November :) I see you are going to Bruges on your cruise, any idea what you are going to do there? We went there when we were on Oriana.

Hi there, we're looking at the taste of Bruges tour, looks like a nice mix of experience with chocolate making and a coach tour with a bit of time on our own. What would you recommend?

Have a great day,

Flumble

x

Oriana is a lovely ship, you'll have a great time.

When you board there will be a card in your cabin confirming your restaurant allocation for the *evening* only- there are three Main Dining Rooms all serving exactly the same menu, its just easier for the ship to manage the passengers split into smaller groups. If you are on freedom dining you have no sitting time, you just go whenever you want. If you fancy a change any evening you can go to the buffet, Al Frescos cafe or book one of the specialty fee restaurants.

During the day you can go to any of the MDRs that are open for breakfast and lunch, its all freedom dining. Your Horizon newspaper will have the daily opening times of all the restaurants.

Hi There,

Thank you so much for this. It's really helpful.

Did you enjoy the food. I've heard great things and we are really looking forward to the ship experience. We cruised for honey moon on Thomson Spirit for Best of the Baltic and really enjoyed everything onboard.

Have a great day,

Flumble

x

Hi there, we're looking at the taste of Bruges tour, looks like a nice mix of experience with chocolate making and a coach tour with a bit of time on our own. What would you recommend?

Have a great day,

Flumble

x

We did the "Bruges in a day " tour where you have a walk with a guide (ours was very good and funny!) Then a canal tour included then a couple of hours on our own. Was very good. We went to the Half Moon Brewery in our free time, booked into an English speaking tour then had lunch in the brewery while we waited for our tour, was very enjoyable. The tour was inexpensive (7.50 Eur) and you got a free glass of beer at the end!

We did the "Bruges in a day " tour where you have a walk with a guide (ours was very good and funny!) Then a canal tour included then a couple of hours on our own. Was very good. We went to the Half Moon Brewery in our free time, booked into an English speaking tour then had lunch in the brewery while we waited for our tour, was very enjoyable. The tour was inexpensive (7.50 Eur) and you got a free glass of beer at the end!

that sounds super and similar to what we are about to book.

Flumble

x

that sounds super and similar to what we are about to book.

Flumble

x

You will enjoy it I'm sure - Bruges is lovely. The brewery, if you're interested, is in the little square where the guide left us after our walk.

Hope you don't mind P&O Sue - you have already been so helpful.... a couple more queries if that's ok...

did you go to Antwerp as well? If so, what would you recommend by way of trips?

Also, would you mind sharing your thoughts on the formal nights?

Husby is going as "james bond" and I have a couple of evening gowns; however, having heard so many wonderful things about the dress code on P&O, I wonder if they are appropriate.

Is a ball gown too much? Should I be thinking more elegant and timeless?

Best,

Flumble

x

I don't mind at all - plenty of people here have helped me before!

I've just seen your thread about the formal nights. Oriana is quite a traditional ship and there will be ladies in ballgowns (I tend to wear a knee length dress) but as the poster said in your other thread I haven't noticed hoops before. But, yes, the ladies do get very glammed up - and a lovely sight it is too :)

I'm afraid we haven't been to Antwerp - our cruise was Bruges and Cherbourg. I should have been going to Amsterdam and Bruges but that cruise was cancelled by P&O so I'm jealous of your trip! :D

Hi There,

Thank you so much for this. It's really helpful.

Did you enjoy the food. I've heard great things and we are really looking forward to the ship experience. We cruised for honey moon on Thomson Spirit for Best of the Baltic and really enjoyed everything onboard.

Have a great day,

Flumble

x

Hi Flumble.

I found the food very good. 'Modern British' isn't my favorite cuisine, but there was always plenty I wanted to try. The honey and ginger ice cream is delicious! I normally try to eat in each different venue once, just for comparison! :D

Your asking about dress code lower down, Oriana is one of the more 'formal' ships so gala nights are quite dressy, especially the Captains welcome cocktail party night. Im sure your ball gowns wont look out of place unless they're a mile wide!

There are actually only two main dining rooms and as has been said by another poster, Freedom Dining is in the mid-ships restaurant, The Peninsular. Set-time 'club dining' is in the aft, Oriental Restaurant. You can also choose to eat more casually in the Conservatory Buffet or the extra-fee Beach House (already in operation in place of Sorrento sadly), serving mainly American Diner-style food or Sindhu, the Indian Fine Dining Restaurant headed up by Atul Kochhar, the Michelin-starred chef.

Oriana is a beautiful, classically-styled ship. Have a wonderful time and feel free to ask any other questions. I will be disembarking as you embark so I'll try and look after her and leave you some wine :D

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Andrew... Thank you so much for the response... Sorry for the delay in responding...have just had a surgery. I wish you a wonderful time, and thank you for offering to look after Oriana for us!

There are actually only two main dining rooms and as has been said by another poster, Freedom Dining is in the mid-ships restaurant, The Peninsular. Set-time 'club dining' is in the aft, Oriental Restaurant. You can also choose to eat more casually in the Conservatory Buffet or the extra-fee Beach House (already in operation in place of Sorrento sadly), serving mainly American Diner-style food or Sindhu, the Indian Fine Dining Restaurant headed up by Atul Kochhar, the Michelin-starred chef.

Oriana is a beautiful, classically-styled ship. Have a wonderful time and feel free to ask any other questions. I will be disembarking as you embark so I'll try and look after her and leave you some wine :D

And you board the day we disembark so we'll try and do the same for you Andrew - not so sure about leaving much wine though;)

Dear Andrew... Thank you so much for the response... Sorry for the delay in responding...have just had a surgery. I wish you a wonderful time, and thank you for offering to look after Oriana for us!

I hope you are recovering well!

And you board the day we disembark so we'll try and do the same for you Andrew - not so sure about leaving much wine though;)

Well I don't normally take alcohol on board with me but now I know this Sharon, I had better pack a wine box or two :D

Andrew, don't forget that Vancourt, Shirley and myself will also be on board with Sharon, so the bar may be totally dry!

I note that MM is still listed as CD, so I hope I haven't been misinformed that Mikey will be our CD.

Edited by jeanlyon

Andrew, don't forget that Vancourt, Shirley and myself will also be on board with Sharon, so the bar may be totally dry!

I note that MM is still listed as CD, so I hope I haven't been misinformed that Mikey will be our CD.

LOL. Yes of course you are Jean but I know that having cruised with the three of you, your sense of decorum and fairness would compel you to leave some decent wines & gin on board for me :)