Input on these two cruises

Beachiekeen

We are currently looking at Princess Voyage of the Glaciers Northbound (Coral Princess) v HAL Vancouver round trip (Niew Amsterdam)(I think it's called the "inside passage") for summer 2017. Does anyone have any input on one versus the other? It would be myself and hubby and my in-laws and it would be their first cruise. We would both be in suites on either so I would be interested in the best suite perks.

We currently are leaning toward the Princess itinerary because of Glacier Bay but that long flight home from Anchorage to DFW seems rather brutal.

I guess we could also do the same itinerary on HAL but we picked the other itinerary because of the ship (it ranked higher on a US News ranking of the best Alaskan cruises). Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

We are currently looking at Princess Voyage of the Glaciers Northbound (Coral Princess) v HAL Vancouver round trip (Niew Amsterdam)(I think it's called the "inside passage") for summer 2017. Does anyone have any input on one versus the other? It would be myself and hubby and my in-laws and it would be their first cruise. We would both be in suites on either so I would be interested in the best suite perks.

We currently are leaning toward the Princess itinerary because of Glacier Bay but that long flight home from Anchorage to DFW seems rather brutal.

I guess we could also do the same itinerary on HAL but we picked the other itinerary because of the ship (it ranked higher on a US News ranking of the best Alaskan cruises). Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Why not look at a SB on Princess instead of NB . SB you'll see Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay . SB will get the long flight first and then resting on the cruise.

Yes we thought about that but we planned to spend some time in Seattle and Vancouver before the cruise. Also I read that the gulf part could be choppy and it's better to save it to the end when you have your sea legs.

Edited by Beachiekeen

Yes we thought about that but we planned to spend some time in Seattle and Vancouver before the cruise. Also I read that the gulf part could be choppy and it's better to save it to the end when you have your sea legs.

Most of the Gulf crossing SB or NB is at night . NB College fiord is nothing to write about . Also you are busy packing for disembarkation in College Fiord and won't enjoy it . The first full day (sea day) can be rough as well .

Basically both have one sea day at the start that could be rough and bumpy.

The same first day for the 7 day Rtn from Vancouver because the same route as the Princess NB & SB.

Edited by Kamloops50

I would also recommend the SB cruise with princess because if having both Hubbard & Glacier Bay. We really dislike the flight home from Anchorage but enjoy flying into Anchorage. Perhaps you could plan some days at the end of the cruise for Vancouver and/or Seattle. We have done that and really enjoyed not having to rush to the airport to catch a flight home immediately upon disembarking. Or you could plan to explore the Anchorage area or the Kenai for a few days precruise. Lots to see & do there.

Here is my photo review of our Nieuw Amsterdam Inside Passage cruise to Alaska May 2016 and we will be repeating the same itinerary May 2017:

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/

The website also has photos taken during each cruise stop under the Locations and Nature tabs.

Edited by Crew News

Most of the Gulf crossing SB or NB is at night . NB College fiord is nothing to write about . Also you are busy packing for disembarkation in College Fiord and won't enjoy it ..

How untrue and inaccurate. I've done a LOT of daytime Gulf sailing, including BOTH my recent trips 2 weeks ago. There are a lot of people out viewing College Fjords- which I and many others, find very worthwhile and spectacular glacier viewing. How often do you sail there and one ways?

Well we just realized you can smoke on balconies on HAL so we may have to eliminate it. :(

What about the Princess round trip from Seattle(inside passage with Glacier Bay)? That seems to make sense since we want to see Seattle and I've heard Victoria is beautiful. Do we get to really see Glacier Bay?

Edited by Beachiekeen

I did both these itineraries, b2b2b2b last year. Each certainly is excellent with rave reviews on each. I don't agree with the claims and strong push to do one ways. Simply an option that I don't find a "must". Hal and Princess- equally do great jobs with their Alaska cruises. A round trip Vancouver is an intense scenic opportunity. Haven't looked, but HAL with both Glacier Bay and the add on Tracy Arm tour is a great itinerary.

It gets skewed, too many times, that somehow, round trip cruises, are the sloppy seconds of choices. I can't disagree more. The flight time benefits, for some could be significant, there is ease, and reduced costs (transportation, lodging). Time may be limited etc.

With one way cruises- if I'm not on a b2b, I'm spending at least 2 weeks mainland touring. I don't find one way cruises of much significance without adding the time- at least 5 days is my minimum recommendation. A lot of people, simply get off the ship then head home the same day. In those cases, I find any of the Alaska cruises- could be a great choice.

Additional selection factors to also consider and compare- port times, ports, have your shore tours, selected, (do they fit your schedule and are available?), price.

Well we just realized you can smoke on balconies on HAL so we may have to eliminate it. :(

What about the Princess round trip from Seattle(inside passage with Glacier Bay)? That seems to make sense since we want to see Seattle and I've heard Victoria is beautiful. Do we get to really see Glacier Bay?

Unfortunately, with a lot of round trip Seattle itineraries- Victoria, is simply a service stop- with very limited port times. However, getting to Victoria additionally is an excellent opportunity from Seattle, or leave the ship in Victoria, as some people do, for added time there.

IF Glacier Bay is on the itinerary- yes, you see Glacier Bay. :) At least 4 glaciers are seen on this all day adventure.

How untrue and inaccurate. I've done a LOT of daytime Gulf sailing, including BOTH my recent trips 2 weeks ago. There are a lot of people out viewing College Fjords- which I and many others, find very worthwhile and spectacular glacier viewing. How often do you sail there and one ways?

I've done four round trips to Alaska from Vancouver . That is 4 NB and 4 SB in different months. Each trip was slightly different . Most NB bound trips we arrived at the mouth of Prince Williams Sound around 9AM . With a 12:01AM departure from Whittier we only had arrived on the east side of Gulf of Alaska

around as most people where waking up . We try and do a 14 day Rtn from Vancouver every two or three years.

I've done four round trips to Alaska from Vancouver . That is 4 NB and 4 SB in different months. Each trip was slightly different . Most NB bound trips we arrived at the mouth of Prince Williams Sound around 9AM . With a 12:01AM departure from Whittier we only had arrived on the east side of Gulf of Alaska

around as most people where waking up . We try and do a 14 day Rtn from Vancouver every two or three years.

Take a look at a map- "most" northbound sailings are cruising the "Gulf" most of daytime, both directions- with Princess- the ship is sailing College Fjords in the evening, having sailed Gulf, to get there, during the day. Southbound- all day again- sailing the Gulf, with sailing Hubbard later afternoon.

Well it sounds like we can hardly go wrong with any of them. We definitely want to see Glacier Bay so it may come down to what makes the most sense logistically. We're so excited already after just the little research we've done! Thanks for all the input.

At least 4 glaciers are seen on this all day adventure.
I almost always agree with BQ, but when we went to Glacier Bay, we saw just two glaciers: Margerie and Lamplugh. Margerie Glacier was calving very frequently when we were there, so the captain kept us near longer than they usually spend. We were there around an hour and a half, according to announcements. Our cabin's balcony was on the bow of the ship, so we had a great view the whole time--30 minutes with the ship pointed toward the glacier, 30 minutes for those on the port side to see, and 30 minutes for those on the starboard side to see.

I wouldn't take a one-way cruise without several days to see Anchorage and beyond. The long flights don't make it worthwhile in my mind.

I almost always agree with BQ, but when we went to Glacier Bay, we saw just two glaciers: Margerie and Lamplugh. Margerie Glacier was calving very frequently when we were there, so the captain kept us near longer than they usually spend. We were there around an hour and a half, according to announcements. Our cabin's balcony was on the bow of the ship, so we had a great view the whole time--30 minutes with the ship pointed toward the glacier, 30 minutes for those on the port side to see, and 30 minutes for those on the starboard side to see.

I wouldn't take a one-way cruise without several days to see Anchorage and beyond. The long flights don't make it worthwhile in my mind.

This is my feeling as well. Ultimately it will be up to my in-laws. I think we will probably vote for Glacier Bay this time around but I can see hubby and I doing the inside passage trip on our own at a later time and possibly even a land vacation. Everything I've researched just looks incredible and we can't wait already!

Edited by Beachiekeen

I almost always agree with BQ, but when we went to Glacier Bay, we saw just two glaciers: Margerie and Lamplugh. Margerie Glacier was calving very frequently when we were there, so the captain kept us near longer than they usually spend.

If you were at Marjorie, then you were right next to Grand Pacific glacier, whether you noticed it or not. It looks dirty, so a lot of people don't even recognize it as a glacier. Also, if you went to Lamplugh, you must have passed Reid also. They probably didn't stop, but you should have been able to see it as you went by.

It is pretty common for people to miss them. But your ship certainly sailed by all 4. Take a look at a map. As mentioned, the Grand Pacific is the "dirty" glacier. I've been sailing so long up there- that the Magerie and Grand Pacific was actually touching each other. The recession is severe, and I never fail to note it, with my visits.

The Reid is very easy seen. As I mentioned ALL are on the port side viewing first.