Formal Night

Do you go to formal night?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Do you go to formal night?

• I always go to formal night.
    • I usually do, but on occasion don't.
    • I sometimes do, but the majority of the time I don't.
    • I never go to formal night.

I've noticed over the recent years less people seem to be going to the formal night these days, with more people using the alternative buffet option on formal night than they used to. Back when I started cruising with Thomson over 10 years ago, hardly anyone didn't go. I wonder if this is becoming a common trend now?

Now we've done a fair few cruises, we don't always bother these days as sometimes we prefer a more relaxed evening on the day at sea, and as we've done it all before, the feeling of it being a 'special' evening have dwindled slightly. Plus, more room in your case, an issue now the baggage allowance has decreased.

But, when we do go to the formal evening, we do still enjoy it, and I think the choice of having the formal or informal setting is a good plus of Thomson, and I think it would be a shame to see it go.

What does everyone else do? Do you all go to formal night on every cruise, or do you usually take the buffet option?

Edited by Sailaway487

We always go :) DH thinks he looks like James Bond :rolleyes: and to be honest it is the only time we girlies get to dress up :D but we don't bother with the photos now, been there done that!

I do think it is nice to see people dressed up and wonder why people don't make the effort just once a week. I realize here is a problem with luggage allowance now, so perhaps if Thomson had two formal nights like Fred it would make it more worthwhile to take a suit. I don't think they weigh that much these days. DH's is quite lightweight.

There are alot of new and fairly new to cruising passengers with Thomson and it is those that enjoy all aspects of the evening including the photos etc

We always get dressed up but are indifferent to the photos and usually do not bother with them unless we are wanting one for a reason.

The decrease in luggage allowance was a very poor move by Thomson in my opinon but the big issue is that the evening needs a revamp particularly with reference to the section in the Theatre / Lounge. I have written to Thomsons about it with ideas but whether anything will change only time will tell. If Thomson feels it is a selling point to their product then they will need to keep refreshing it a little in my opinion for those many repeaters their product attracts.

Sailaway not going as frequently may be partly or fully because it is no longer special as it is the same formula and if so that supports my point above.

Edited by Huddersfieldtourist

I'm like Linda - we like to dress up once in a while and other than on cruises I would have few opportunities to wear my posh frocks. We're not bothered much by the associated photos, reception etc though.

It would be interesting to know what they might do to freshen it up HT but it could be worth them giving that some thought.

We usually go but not always. We decide in advance if we are going to do it. Someone else has mentioned the luggage factor and although the DJ's etc are quite lightweight it is the shoes in particular that add to the weight, then there's the shirt, cufflinks etc. My DH wears lightweight moccasin type shoes on other nights so needs to take dress shoes for formal night. We have decided not to go to formal night on our Celebration cruise in the Caribbean next year but to eat in the buffet or pay for a meal and go out on the deck afterwards. We do dress up every night anyway, even if dining in the buffet, but obviously not to the same extent as we do on formal night.

I was pleased to hear that you have written to Thomson about this HT because we actually find the evening pretty disappointing on the whole and don't queue for photographs and often don't go in to the theatre either! The whole thing could be doing with a revamp. I would be interested to hear the outcome of that, if you wouldn't mind.

We like to get dressed up and often do when we go out for a meal etc.

In addition to the luggage allowance, there is also the mismatch between what Thomson say in their shops, events and brochures and what they expect onboard.

Having read the brochure, been told in shop and at the cruise event, that a DJ was not required and that most people wear an open collar and jacket, in common with a lot of other passengers I didn't pack a DJ. Indeed, both at the shop and cruise event we were told specifically that we would not need a DJ, as most people didn't wear them on these cruises!

Its worth remembering also, that the luggage allowance for the three week cruise is the same as for a one week cruise! Although a DJ, shirt, tie, shoes etc., don't weigh a great deal, they do equate to three or four daywear outfits.

We saw a number of people put off the formal night by the change in the rules, in addition to the number who complained about it. Quite a number were turned away from the restaurant, (on the 2nd formal night), and decided against bothering with the third.

With the exception of the third evening, when we were guests of the Hotel Manager, the restaurant experience was no different to any other evening, bar what some people wore.

There was an awful lot of cheap, in terms of quality, and ill fitting DJs about and a number of the women were wearing normal dress. So for most people it was something of a non event!

Oh Jim, I'm sure you would look great in your kilt :)

I do Linda even though I say so myself ;)

On the subject of kilts and luggage allowance.Were attending a wedding abroad this year where dress code is the kilt etc and staying for 10 days our luggage allowance with Thomson is 15kgs :eek:, Nothing short of scandalous

On our first cruise Jan 13 we wanted the full cruise experience and went to meet the Captain, the reception and everything, but since then we have just done the dressing up for the meal, even though my husband has no suit or DJ, he went in smart with shirt good trousers and dickie bow. We do enjoy the occasion, and will always do the MDR.

I do Linda even though I say so myself ;)

On the subject of kilts and luggage allowance.Were attending a wedding abroad this year where dress code is the kilt etc and staying for 10 days our luggage allowance with Thomson is 15kgs :eek:, Nothing short of scandalous

15kgs is a ridiculously low allowance and it is a way to make more money.

Later in the year we are travelling with Jet2 and the allowance is 22kgs and 10kgs hand luggage.

You'll just have to wear your kilt on the journey, Jim. Looks as good with a t shirt ;)

No such thing as a light-weight kilt eh Jim. I wore one for a wedding many years ago, felt as though I had run a marathon by the end of the day, and of course the heat they generate - now I know why true Scotsmen wear nothing underneath.

We have gone to the captains night on previous occasions but prefer to book into the speciality restaurant on that night now. I still like to get dressed up the nines on the night mind you and hubby wears smart trousers with shirt and tie instead of dinner jacket. Its nice to mingle in the bars while everyone is in their gladrags. Too much waiting around at captains night although its still nice to do once in a while.

15kgs is a ridiculously low allowance and it is a way to make more money.

Later in the year we are travelling with Jet2 and the allowance is 22kgs and 10kgs hand luggage.

You'll just have to wear your kilt on the journey, Jim. Looks as good with a t shirt ;)

Your right Nell,just a way to make more money.Funnily enough as were 10 days were flying back with Jet 2 and will have our 22kg allowance coming home

No such thing as a light-weight kilt eh Jim. I wore one for a wedding many years ago, felt as though I had run a marathon by the end of the day, and of course the heat they generate - now I know why true Scotsmen wear nothing underneath.

Hi ormy,

:D

Actually there is a light-weight kilt now but still generates heat just not as much as a heavy- weight

We both love all the dressing up bit ,we make an effort every night but go for the works on formal nights we don't however do the photos and reception like others have said done that ,I would never choose a cruise that's just casual for us it's all part of the whole experience ,on our next cruise (P&O ) there are 4 formal nights in the 2weeks and will love every bit of it .:)

On our first cruise in 2010, we went to the Captains night, and since then we hover round the restaurant when the guests go in and avoid the Captains night. We made an exception in April though, as we took our daughter and her little family, so went with them just so they get the experience. Boring for us!!

we dress up and go to dinner but skip the reception

if you are new to cruising then yes, its worth attending

but

you will queue up for an hour to meet the captain (no shaking of hands due to tennis elbow or some other excuse? But is actually about the spread of norovirus)

have a wonky photo taken where the captain seems to have perfected an identical expression in all of them (might as well just photoshop him in?)

you then sit (or stand) in the theatre listening to the violinist/pianist/a tape recording/some lost kids? for another hour while chomping on tiny bits of toast with crab paste (oh and the free 1/4 glass of warm fizz…if there is any left by the time you get there?)

if the captain turns up at all? he will introduce the head staff as quickly as he possibly can before making a hasty retreat out the back door....and thats it...reception over...join another queue to get out of the theatre another to go down the stars/lift and yet another to get into the restaurant….its all cruise tradition;):)

We, (like most of you seasoned cruisers) don't bother with the pictures and reception. It's a been there, got the T-shirt sort of thing, nice when you are a newbie but a bit boring once you have done it a few times. We still get dressed up and just go to the MDR.

I supposed we will have to do the reception on the next cruise as the in laws have never seen it.

We usually go to the reception, but on a B2B not always to the second one.

On the Dream in the Caribbean Herr Kapitan did not show on the first formal night, due to (allegedly ;)) a cold, so we felt compelled to go to the second one to see if he did actually exist and was not just a recording :D He did turn up, but had an injured hand (ha ha!)

Our best one was on the Braemar, when the Captain (Norweigian) was straight out of HMS Pinafore and did a really good turn on Captain's night :)

Great idea for a poll Sailaway. I may do another, if I can think of something :D

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

we dress up and go to dinner but skip the reception

if you are new to cruising then yes, its worth attending

but

you will queue up for an hour to meet the captain (no shaking of hands due to tennis elbow or some other excuse? But is actually about the spread of norovirus)

have a wonky photo taken where the captain seems to have perfected an identical expression in all of them (might as well just photoshop him in?)

you then sit (or stand) in the theatre listening to the violinist/pianist/a tape recording/some lost kids? for another hour while chomping on tiny bits of toast with crab paste (oh and the free 1/4 glass of warm fizz…if there is any left by the time you get there?)

if the captain turns up at all? he will introduce the head staff as quickly as he possibly can before making a hasty retreat out the back door....and thats it...reception over...join another queue to get out of the theatre another to go down the stars/lift and yet another to get into the restaurant….its all cruise tradition;):)

A touch flippant but probably intentionally and sadly sometimes not far from the truth and I know where you are coming from and precisely why I have made suggestions to Thomsons about the evening however elements would have to remain "as is" for those first timers and relatively new to the product plus the seemingly decreasing numbers of regulars who enjoy the spectacle as it is. It could be simply improved and revitalised with a little imagination and be enjoyed by everyone still.

It is a shame that many passengers go to great efforts with dress etc but the evening offers little new.

We love the formal night. Last time we girls all wore the same colour and the men matching bow ties. The photos are great. But we take our own. Last year he wore mine and I wore his on the second week. Well it was after a bottle of wine.