Airport transportation: cruise ship to Rome airport

mabert

It is worthwhile pursuing getting a cab for a few people instead of the HAL big bus transportation when leaving the ship for the airport? The Rome airport is almost 2 hours away.

It is worthwhile pursuing getting a cab for a few people instead of the HAL big bus transportation when leaving the ship for the airport? The Rome airport is almost 2 hours away.

Even though we eventually had to cancel our Prinsendam Med cruise last year we spent some time trying to decide about how to get from Rome to the port. Granted it was the reverse in that we were landing in Rome and eventually had to get to the port to board the Prinsendam. We considered HAL transportation, the train, and taxi/private car. We're not big fans of HAL transfers but would have done it if the other alternatives were too cumbersome or expensive. After some planning and thought we settled on flying in a couple of days early and then taking a limo service to the port. I think we'd done the same thing if we'd been disembarking in Rome. The last thing we want to do on any cruise is kind of ruin the moment by making the last day a hassle and stressful.

Even though we eventually had to cancel our Prinsendam Med cruise last year we spent some time trying to decide about how to get from Rome to the port. Granted it was the reverse in that we were landing in Rome and eventually had to get to the port to board the Prinsendam. We considered HAL transportation, the train, and taxi/private car. We're not big fans of HAL transfers but would have done it if the other alternatives were too cumbersome or expensive. After some planning and thought we settled on flying in a couple of days early and then taking a limo service to the port. I think we'd done the same thing if we'd been disembarking in Rome. The last thing we want to do on any cruise is kind of ruin the moment by making the last day a hassle and stressful.

I agree with Randy 100%. We are taking a private transfer to the port as well. If you post on your roll call you may be able to find people to share. It's a lot cheaper if you have 4 or 6. For the cost of the HAL transfer, I would far prefer private transfer.

With luggage, I don't like DIY. By private transfer I don't think you will find the airport as far away time wise. :)

First off, the airport (FCO) is only about 55 minutes from the port. Most of the drive is on a great autostrade so it is unusual to have major traffic delays. As to using a taxi, the problem is that most of the taxis are small to normal cars which can only handle 2 people if they have a bunch of luggage. Unless you get a van/taxi it is difficult to get 4 plus luggage in the normal taxis. If you want to get a group together to split a private transfer it is best to prebook your transfer with a company that can provide a larger vehicle (there are plenty of these companies is you do a little research). For a couple, we think this is one of the few transfers where it often makes the most sense to use the cruise line bus (and we normally hate any cruise line transfer).

Hank

Op, if you check out the price of HAL's transfers and then the cost of private transfer (not a cab), you will be able to gage which is best for you.

There are numberous companies that offer private transfer - and a thread not that long ago actually listing prices. Lots of threads on how happy people were with the companies.

Travelling from the port to the airport, we have done both Hal transfer and private, pre-arranged transfer. We prefer the private, but that is personal preference.

If you do decide on private, you should pre-book it early as Hank has recommended:) Either way you'll have a great cruise :)

If you go over to the Italy board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

there are a great many discussions on getting to the airport, and recommendations for transport methods, including one that has over 1000 posts on it.

As in many locations, ship's transport is not the cheapest, and may not be the easiest either. Taxi and ship's transport are probably the two most expensive. And, as Hank said, it is 55 minutes to an hour to the airport, not two hours.

I agree about private.

The first time I came into Port Everglades I had arranged HAL transport to FLL. As everyone knows, you can see the airport. What a waste of time/money.

When I came into FLL this April, we shared a cab, had expedited departure (I had a 10:15 am flight) and it was less expensive and cumbersome.

Will look at the links.

Cheers,

Miriam

I agree about private.

The first time I came into Port Everglades I had arranged HAL transport to FLL. As everyone knows, you can see the airport. What a waste of time/money.

When I came into FLL this April, we shared a cab, had expedited departure (I had a 10:15 am flight) and it was less expensive and cumbersome.

Will look at the links.

Cheers,

Miriam

Good luck Miriam. Planning is half the fun :D at least for me ;)

Well, we used the HAL transfer. I think there were at least 3 ships unloading passengers. All went well except that there was very little leg room for me on the bus I couldn't fit my knees in. I am 5'8". All seat spaces were not the same on the bus; we just got on near the last of the group. The biggie problem was at the airport as most of the 3 ships' passengers were heading there. Very long lines and waits! We were there way ahead of time though.

If you aren't tight on time, a private transfer can give you a short tour of Rome before going to the airport. We did that a few years ago. With just two of us, it was a bit more expensive than the ship transfer but we had a really great tour. We had spent time in Rome and seen many of the tourist attractions but hadn't made it outside the city. The driver took us up one of the hills surrounding Rome for a wonderful panoramic view.

Archived