Bringing alcohol on board from shore trips

Hi

My wife and I will taking a 24 day cruise through the Mediterranean in August on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I been advised that the rules around bringing alcohol on board for personal consumption is very restrictive. As a first time cruiser, do the cruise ship staff physically search/ scan your back packs/carry bags when you every time you return from shore trip?

Yep. Passengers walk through a metal detector arch. Bags go through an xray machine and cruise ship security may or may not look inside them. Typically any sealed on-shore alcohol purchases are checked in and held for you until the end of the cruise. Unsealed containers typically would be thrown away.

Upon leaving ship have asked if ok to bring aboard 6 pack of local beer and told yes. So we have been doing that with no problems in our backbacks. Probably depends on port or ship..one bottle of wine might be ok too. Hard liquor no way unless hide it.

If they have a mind, they will hold any liquor you bring from port until your cruise is over. Sometimes, they ignore what you bring...it's a toss of the dice! You won't lose it...but you might not have it for consumption on the ship...

you walk through a metal detector and they scan your bag.

the only thing i got away with bringing back on the boat was a huge cup from a restaurant full of vodka n told them it was water, they didnt really care. other than that, its pretty hard to bring anything back.

• 1 month later...