What sort of tablet are good for crusing

falados99

Wondering what's good tablet should i take with me to store/backup my pictures/videos from my phone/action camera and also (i will be bringing my portable HDD with me)

Would Surface Pro 2 (or 2) would be effective enough ?

The Surface Pro 2 should be very good. If you do not already have a small laptop or tablet, I would actually recommend a small laptop. You can find them for under $400, they have an SD card slot, and have all the connections you might need. I got a Dell Inspiron 3000, which has an 11 inch screen, 500 GB HD, etc, for around $280 by looking for coupons and sales.

Instead of hauling yet another thing along, just bring extra SD or CF cards. I bring one for each day plus a spare. They are numbered 1 through whatever the number is. I keep them in the safe except the spare and the one in the camera. They take up zero space, add zero weight, and aren't particularly attractive to a thief.

Since I'm used to looking silly and don't use my iPhone onboard ship, all I take is my iPad. Works as a camera, alarm, a Kindle and computer. It's easy to set up since all you need to do is add an App. Progress is amazing, first no one uses film. Next digital cameras are redundant. As long as they don't get rid of the operator.

I bring along my iPad. But I use it strictly for reading books and listening to music. I use my camera for picture taking, and my laptop for photo storage and preliminary photoshopping.

Instead of hauling yet another thing along, just bring extra SD or CF cards. I bring one for each day plus a spare. They are numbered 1 through whatever the number is. I keep them in the safe except the spare and the one in the camera. They take up zero space, add zero weight, and aren't particularly attractive to a thief.

This. I've been doing this for years, before I had an iPad Mini. I have the little lightning attachment that lets me put my SD card in and look at the day's photos. That's all I need. Tablets with USB ports for flash drives/portable HDDs are very few. Sure, the Surface is one idea, but friends don't let friends buy Microsoft ;)

I use an eye-fi card in my (waterproof) camera. This way, I just turn on my camera and kindle fire (tablet) every evening and it automatically loads the days pictures from the camera (no cables needed). When I have a wi-fi connection kindle automatically loads to cloud. Never a lost photo. Found this the best solution for me.

I used to keep two SD cards, but then lost one with a whole trip of data on it once :(.

In addition to my iPad & camera, I bring my laptop. It is very light and allows me to download my photos every night. I can't imagine having an SD card for every day. My iPad is primarily for reading.

I guess it depends on how you travel, some of our trips are for 3 to 3 1/2 months or longer.

I cruise with both a Samsung tablet and a netbook, plus I take my old basic Kindle as my primary reading source. The tablet can be a backup reading source while the battery on the Kindle is recharging.

I prefer my netbook for emailing to family back home, as I would rather type on a keyboard than on a tablet screen. Also I like being able to type my emails in Word, to be copied and pasted to an email once I get online. Makes my supply of free internet minutes last a long time, as opposed to typing while online.

But i dont want to fuss around with powerboard and adapters (just my phone and my surface 2 and my 500gb hd) ...

If you've already got the surface, you're good to go with it. It has one USB port and the micro-SD slot, right? Try it before you go to set up the directories on the HDD for your photos and then see which way is best/fastest for you to copy from SD to HDD. I switched from Microsoft to Apple back in 2011, so I can't say how the Surface would work.

You only need to take the plugs/adapters for power. Everyone says to take a power strip because of the dearth of outlets in the cabins. I always travel with my very portable Monster Cable Outlets to Go. Got in the habit when I traveled for business and just kept at it.

Yet change of heart prob will be taking a laptop (that can act like tablet) "ASUS TRANSFORMER BOOK T100"

As long as it has the ports and memory you need/want, go for it. I have an old ASUS netbook - it was one of the original netbooks back in 2004 - a good, solid travel pal. I even used it to work remotely and tie into my server bank at work. You could have it with MSos or Linux. I had the Linux (friends don't let friend buy MS ;) )