Emerald Princess/Tunis

newparks

I doubt most passengers would really have preferred to be in big storms at sea as well as on shore during them.

The ship could have docked, but the wind was so high it would have pulled the pier apart.

Nothing the Captain could do to cause the iceberg to move out of the way.

100_5787_zpsgiqmtmuf.jpg

LOL. Tough luck on that trip. :)

I doubt most passengers would really have preferred to be in big storms at sea as well as on shore during them.

The ship could have docked, but the wind was so high it would have pulled the pier apart.

Nothing the Captain could do to cause the iceberg to move out of the way.

100_5787_zpsgiqmtmuf.jpg

Where was that? It looks surreal.

I hope things get back to normal (?) in Tunis soon and Princess doesn't need to reroute. But I can understand if they need to.

In our case, Tunis is one of 17 ports on a 21 day cruise in June that's now past final payment and while I'll be very disappointed if it's cancelled, I don't want to be stressed out visiting there either.

I've been on Princess cruises before where a port was inaccessible due to weather, wind, or tide conditions, and their MO in that case is to make it a sea day instead. Although I'm usually ticked off at that outcome, again, I can understand it given the last minute nature of the decision.

What's not acceptable (in my view) is to leave this particular decision to the last minute and sub a sea day, when they had plenty of time (e.g. 2 months) to reroute to a different port of call. I hope that's not even a consideration.

Your last paragraph nailed it !! Princess are you listening ?

First there are many cruise line in the Med- Princess being just one of these.

Ports are usually booked several years in advance, so many are filled.

You have to work around this to find an empty slot. In 2013 we were scheduled to call a Tunnis, which we unable to do, election unrest, we

went to Naples and docked at the ferry terminal. Last year we

went to Elba Island off of Italy. Since we don't think we will make it this

year, we are flying into Rome a week early and will fly down for an overnighter. This was something we wanted to do, so we will.

Several years ago we were booked on a Princess cruise in May with a two day stop in Alexandria, Egypt which was a big draw for that cruise.

Then, in early February there was the revolution in Egypt and several weeks later Princess changed the itinerary to remove the Alexandria stop and substitute a day in Livorno, a day in Malta and a 2nd day in Istanbul.

I think we must have been on the same cruise as you. Rome to Rome 12 days on Star Princess middle of May 2011. We booked this specific itinerary because my wife hadn't been to Cairo and the pyramids but we were happy to be rerouted to Malta. Malta didn't happen because we wound up at Alexandria for the two days. A lot of illness on the ship after that stop including my wife. Pretty certain it was food on some of the tours to Cairo. We did enjoy our upgrade from obstructed Ocean View to a balcony due to the many empty cabins on the cruise.

Three or four days before the end of the cruise we were offered the next 12 day cruise which was a completely different itinerary for $600 each! I even had the time booked off of work already but the additional $1800 per person that KLM wanted to delay our return flight killed the deal. $&%#£

Terry

I think we must have been on the same cruise as you. Rome to Rome 12 days on Star Princess middle of May 2011. We booked this specific itinerary because my wife hadn't been to Cairo and the pyramids but we were happy to be rerouted to Malta. Malta didn't happen because we wound up at Alexandria for the two days. A lot of illness on the ship after that stop including my wife. Pretty certain it was food on some of the tours to Cairo.

As I remember it it was due to eating at a restaurant that some Princess excursions to Cairo went to.

We were on a private tour with another couple and escaped Pharaoh's Revenge.

Our excursion included "Lunch on the Nile". But on the busses taking everyone from Alexandria to Cairo (abut 4 1/2 hours each way with road construction most of the way) we were served a "boxed lunch". This was always my best guess at what got my wife. They were decorated cardboard lunch boxes that were worn from prior use and some of the food in them was not packaged such as croissants.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the June 6th voyage with a June 11th scheduled stop in Tunis. We were before our final payment date when the Bardo Museum attack happened and my traveling companions refused to go anywhere near it, so we didn't make final payment and were dropped. Hearing the rumors that the June 1st voyage was re-routed to Naples we are hoping it at least changes to something (personally I would have just stayed on the boat) but I want to at least get back on the voyage, so I hope that the announcement goes soon. We are less than 60 days from sailing and I would like to re-book with everyone to enjoy an otherwise fantastic itinerary in the Mediterranean!

My latest Flash sales has one itinerary that includes Tunis

June 6 Emerald Princess

MEDITERRANEAN & GREEK ISLES MEDLEY

14 Days From Barcelona, Spain to Athens (Piraeus), Greece

misprint?

:confused:

Day Port / Date Arrive Depart

1 Barcelona, Spain Saturday, June 6 7:00 PM

2 Marseille (Provence), France Sunday, June 7 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

3 Genoa, Italy (for Milan) Monday, June 8 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

4 Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy

Tuesday, June 9 7:00 AM 7:00 PM

5 At Sea Wednesday, June 10

6 Tunis (La Goulette), Tunisia Thursday, June 11 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

7 Sicily (Palermo), Italy Friday, June 12 7:00 AM 2:00 PM

8 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Saturday, June 135:00 AM 6:00 PM

9 Naples, Italy (for Capri & Pompeii) Sunday, June 147:00 AM6:00 PM

10 At Sea Monday, June 15

11 Crete (Heraklion), Greece Tuesday, June 16 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

12 Rhodes, Greece Wednesday, June 17 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

13 Kusadasi, Turkey (for Ephesus) Thursday, June 18 8:00 AM5:00 PM

14 Santorini, Greece Friday, June 19 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

15 Athens (Piraeus), Greece Saturday, June 20 4:00 AM

My latest Flash sales has one itinerary that includes Tunis

June 6 Emerald Princess

MEDITERRANEAN & GREEK ISLES MEDLEY

14 Days From Barcelona, Spain to Athens (Piraeus), Greece

misprint?

:confused:

Day Port / Date Arrive Depart

1 Barcelona, Spain Saturday, June 6 7:00 PM

2 Marseille (Provence), France Sunday, June 7 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

3 Genoa, Italy (for Milan) Monday, June 8 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

4 Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy

Tuesday, June 9 7:00 AM 7:00 PM

5 At Sea Wednesday, June 10

6 Tunis (La Goulette), Tunisia Thursday, June 11 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

7 Sicily (Palermo), Italy Friday, June 12 7:00 AM 2:00 PM

8 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Saturday, June 135:00 AM 6:00 PM

9 Naples, Italy (for Capri & Pompeii) Sunday, June 147:00 AM6:00 PM

10 At Sea Monday, June 15

11 Crete (Heraklion), Greece Tuesday, June 16 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

12 Rhodes, Greece Wednesday, June 17 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

13 Kusadasi, Turkey (for Ephesus) Thursday, June 18 8:00 AM5:00 PM

14 Santorini, Greece Friday, June 19 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

15 Athens (Piraeus), Greece Saturday, June 20 4:00 AM

Who's latest flash sale? Are you selling cruises?

Our Emerald cruise Aug 8th still has Tunis as a stop, I am sure it will be canceled.

Who's latest flash sale? Are you selling cruises?

Our Emerald cruise Aug 8th still has Tunis as a stop, I am sure it will be canceled.

Haha?

The latest flash emails that Princess cruises sent me...sorry for the confusion if any :confused:

[quote name='Colo Cruiser']Who's latest flash sale? Are you selling cruises?

Our Emerald cruise Aug 8th still has Tunis as a stop, I am sure it will be canceled.[/QUOTE]

Why are you sure it will be cancelled? We're on an Emerald cruise scheduled to stop there June 11th and it hasn't been cancelled even though the stop earlier in June was cancelled immediately after the March incident.

I'm guessing we're a go for June 11th barring no further incidents. I suspect that the earlier stop that was cancelled was more for optics than it was because Tunis is now unsafe. If anything, Tunis is probably safer now than its been in recent history because security is probably more alert and diligent. I don't know. I just think that if Princes was going to cancel all stops there, they would have done that right away. Waiting is not going to make anything more or less certain about the risk is it? Edited by VirtualRain

• 2 weeks later...
For those of you on Emerald Princess 14 Day Aug 29 sailing , Tunis has been replaced with a second stop at Malta.Two stops at the same port within 5 days isn't real cool for us passengers, and I don't think Princess went out of their way to come up with something better, but it beats a sea day I guess. I can't fault them for being cautious, nor would I, just seems there are better alternatives. Having checked the harbor listings for other cruise ships arriving /departing on the same day, there were other alternative stops in the same area (Corsica/Sardinia).

[quote name='jacksonwayne']For those of you on Emerald Princess 14 Day Aug 29 sailing , Tunis has been replaced with a second stop at Malta.Two stops at the same port within 5 days isn't real cool for us passengers, and I don't think Princess went out of their way to come up with something better, but it beats a sea day I guess. I can't fault them for being cautious, nor would I, just seems there are better alternatives. Having checked the harbor listings for other cruise ships arriving /departing on the same day, there were other alternative stops in the same area (Corsica/Sardinia).[/QUOTE]

Wow that is lame. :mad:

Like I said I am sure Tunis will be canceled on quite a few cruise for awhile.
Ours (Aug 8th) is still intact but I am not counting on it at all.

[quote name='Colo Cruiser']Wow that is lame. :mad:

Like I said I am sure Tunis will be canceled on quite a few cruise for awhile.
Ours (Aug 8th) is still intact but I am not counting on it at all.[/QUOTE]

My cruise personliser has been changed to Malta for 8/8 sailing, very pleased 😀

Thu, 08/13/15 Valletta, Malta
7:00am – 4:00pm

[quote name='gailjen']My cruise personliser has been changed to Malta for 8/8 sailing, very pleased 😀

7:00am – 4:00pm[/QUOTE]

Just read that on the cruise personaliser, I'm really pleased as I've never been to Malta :)

[quote name='gailjen']My cruise personliser has been changed to Malta for 8/8 sailing, very pleased ��

7:00am – 4:00pm[/QUOTE]

Much better then doing Naples twice, unless they did an overnight there. :)
Or with Jacksonwaynes post on his cruise, going to Malta twice in 5 days! :(

[quote name='AJs Grandpa']Looks like they are ready with new ports. July 6 showed Tunis this morning--now shows Salerno.[/QUOTE]

So does my 9/26 sailing (affected day 9/28). Salerno. Nice enough place, I suppose. Rather have Malta but it will do.

:confused:[quote name='jacksonwayne']For those of you on Emerald Princess 14 Day Aug 29 sailing , Tunis has been replaced with a second stop at Malta.Two stops at the same port within 5 days isn't real cool for us passengers, and I don't think Princess went out of their way to come up with something better, but it beats a sea day I guess. I can't fault them for being cautious, nor would I, just seems there are better alternatives. Having checked the harbor listings for other cruise ships arriving /departing on the same day, there were other alternative stops in the same area (Corsica/Sardinia).[/QUOTE]

I'm on that cruise, when I checked this morning it still showed Tunis, I checked after reading your comment and yes, it has been changed to Salerno.
Do you think we will still leave from Istanbul?? Also, do you think this is why the significant price drop?:confused: