South America in January? Regent or Celebrity?

khuselid

Hello all,

My husband is having some wrist surgery and has to be out of work for 2 months. What better time to cruise? At this late date not a lot available for January, or perhaps early February.

I would love to do South America or Panama. Trouble is we now love Oceania (Istanbul to Athens last fall) and are concerned we will spazz out returning to a larger line.

Celebrity does SA on the Golden Princess early January. It is half the price of a similar cruise on Regent. Panama ideas?? Most of the ports on a Panama cruise seem unexciting.

So, what do we think about? We are 60'ish very active. DO NOT like formal nights or cruise hubbub.

Look forward to all your wise words.

Kim

Regent is going to be a nicer cruise experience--it's a true luxury cruise as opposed to an upgraded mass market line.

They have no formal nights, all country club casual. I want to think they offer a lot including some shore excursions, all non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks (excepts some top-tier wines and spirits), and possibly even gratuities included. Look at these included items when cruising.

With what I understand about all three lines, you'll be disappointed going to Celebrity after Oceania--Regent would be comparable.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If Regent's ship for this cruise is Navigator, I'd think twice.

By the way, we'd like to do a South American cruise, something like San Francisco to Valparaiso (or the reverse). I'd consider Regent (not on a Navigator) but would look first to Oceania, Silversea or Seabourne first, or maybe P&O. There aren't multitudinous options into or out of SF.