Which cabin would you choose?

PCHENG

Trying to decide if I should switch cabin. We are a family of 4, 2 adults and two kids aged 7 and 3 at time of travel. We are currently booked on the Sunshine in a 6k grand scenic ocean view for about $2,600, but a fifth deck aft Ocean Suite is available for $3,700.

Having stayed in a 6k before, I find the space adequate for 4 and the view wonderful, but the tight bathroom and lack of tub makes bathing the kids a little difficult. I also dislike having to close the windows every night and the excessive motion from being so front and up. The aft OS will solve the bathing issue, and it has separate living room and bedroom giving better privacy and comfort, but costs 1.1k more and said to have more noise and vibration from the engines. From what some members described, the vibration at docking is enough to wake one up.

If you have the choice, which one would you choose? Keep my current cabin, or upgrade to aft OS for 1.1k more in exchange for more space, better amenities, balcony, aft view and less motion, but having to give up the frontal view and endure potential noise and vibration from the engines.

IMO - spend the money on the memories, not the accommodation.

We vacationed in a camper in Mexico when I was six. Couldn't tell you anything about that camper. We saw whales - I still can see those whales 40+ years later.

That extra 1.1K would pay for swimming with the dolphins (or other special experiences) - twice. IMO, the kids (even the 3 year old) will have a memory like that last a lifetime.

vibration in the rear during docking on some ships is like an earthquake. I always book the aft extended view and actually like the vibration and the engine hum doesn't bother me at all.

That said, I'd agree with above that it is personal preference. My question would be just how much time do you spend in the cabin? How much would you spend on the balcony?

My issue with the aft balconies is that they can be unbearably hot at certain times of the day, such as 11am to 4pm when it can be like a blast furnace since there is very little breeze. The aft wraps aren't quite as bad with more of a breeze and depending on port/starboard and the cruise itinerary, you could end up with either lots of sun or lots of shade at the times you are most likely to use the balcony.

My personal preference would be the aft. But you might want more comments to compare.

If money isn't an issue, I would take the aft suite. With 4 people it will be much more comfortable and out of each other's way. Having a choice, an aft cabin is always my first choice; suite or not. I like lounging with a drink in a blissful coma watching and listening to the wake as I relax....... Having no wind is a plus, too. Happy cruising! Bill.

If it were me, I would choose two adjoining rooms with inside doors. Whether they be OVs, which I love, or balconies. It won't solve the bathtub problem, but it will give you lots of room and 2 full baths. Also probably save some cash as well.

I know that wasn't your question, but just thought I would throw that out there. I don't have any experiences with suites on Carnival.

I wouldn't even consider spending $1100 more for a bigger bathroom space.

We stayed 4 in a 6K on the Freedom. The panoramic view is unmatched in my opinion. We had a ton of space for everything. You've stayed in one, so you already know. We didn't have much motion and after the lights were off for the night, we keep the shades up. I never spent so much time looking out of a window as I did when we stayed in that cabin!

Even if money weren't a factor, I would keep the 6K. Wonderful rooms. I find that my kids don't really care what kind of room they have. They just like being on the ship. Whatever room you choose, you will be comfortable. Can't take anything away from the suite life either.

I would go with 6k. Being parents of 3 boys just the thought of balcony is enough for us not even consider that kind of room switch till they are older. Lol. Mom and Dad would really like it though!

Could the 7year old take showers? Then only one bath to fret about. We have been "practicing" showers at our house for our cruise but we have 7yr old and 2 5yr olds... I understand a 3yr old would be stretching it.

Edited by kindatravelsavy19