Punta Arenas Chile

bocaraton

We took the tour to the cemetery, Sara Braun house, a outdoor museum of old buildings and machinery, and the town square. I could do without the outdoor museum. The cemetery was interesting. The Sara Braun house was interesting only in that it was built from 100% European materials and the surrounding area was filled with primitive people...have to imagine it then vs. now...interesting but not a must see. The town square is a great people watching location.

I think you would do fine to wander around on your own. Check out some cafes and you can walk to the Sara Braun house from the town square if you choose to see it.

The most amazing thing to do in Punta Arenas is the tour to Magdalena Island to the Magellenic Penguin Colony. It was an unbelievable experience, with thousands of penguins and chicks looking at you , posing, walking in front of you! Comical and endearing.

Unfortunately by the time we returned to the ship there was no time to go in to the city, which would have been interesting.

The most amazing thing to do in Punta Arenas is the tour to Magdalena Island to the Magellenic Penguin Colony. ... Unfortunately by the time we returned to the ship there was no time to go in to the city, which would have been interesting.

During our visit to Punta Arenas in Feb. 2013, we did a half-day ship's tour to the Otway Sound penguin colony, tendered back to the ship, for a late lunch, and still had time to tender back to shore and walk around the interesting "downtown" area for three hours.

The day was relatively warm and not windy, and was in late Feb. (22 Feb.). The number of Magellanic Penguins visible at Otway Snd that late in the season and in those "balmy" conditions was low (approx. 35 as I recall). However, we saw other interesting wild birds including rheas, upland geese, caracaras, and many rufous-collared sparrows.

John

Edited by J-D

During our visit to Punta Arenas in Feb. 2013, we did a half-day ship's tour to the Otway Sound penguin colony, tendered back to the ship, for a late lunch, and still had time to tender back to shore and walk around the interesting "downtown" area for three hours.

The day was relatively warm and not windy, and was in late Feb. (22 Feb.). The number of Magellanic Penguins visible at Otway Snd that late in the season and in those "balmy" conditions was low (approx. 35 as I recall). However, we saw other interesting wild birds including rheas, upland geese, caracaras, and many rufous-collared sparrows.

John

We did Otway as well and it was good. Punta Arenas is an interesting city, but to come all this far south and not going to see wildlife would be a loss.

I also did a ship's tour of the Otway Sound Penguin Colony and was one of the highlights of my 94 day world cruise. Seeing penguins up close and within wild flowers was just amazing. I took around 100 photos and plan on having some enlarged.

I was there during the first part of Feb and it was around 54 degrees. I'm from Florida so 54 was cool/cold for me. It was a long bumpy bus ride there so if you have a bad neck or back, it could be hard for you.

I would do this tour again in a heart beat but would spend more time watching the penguins and less time taking photos and videos. The view is better when not looking at it through a view finder.

Have a great trip.

Don

Penguins are a must see on a cruise around the horn. Which port/ports you choose is your personal choice. We had determined that our first choice to see penguins was The Falklands. Second choice would be Puerto Madryn...just in case the ship missed The Falklands. Well, we did make it to The Falklands and had a fantastic tour to Volunteer Point. Unexpectedly, we missed the port of Puerto Madryn due to a labor strike in Argentina.

My point is if we had missed The Falklands and counted on Puerto Madryn, we would have missed seeing the penguins!

The Punta Arenas tour I mentioned earlier in this thread was a ship tour. Our guide was a native of The Falklands.

Depending on how late you sail in the season makes a difference in each port and how many penguins may be there.

Did you do a private tour and if you did who did you use?

We took Holland America's shore excursion....worth every penny! We also went to North Pond in the Falklands to the Gentoo penguin rookery...also saw some King penguins...another great experience. I would take every opportunity along the cruise to see penguins, seeing them was an amazing experience!