Cell phone service

ccdaniel2707

Not sure about the international plan but airplane mode disables ALL communication, you want to disable "mobile data" which will allow for phone calls and texts. Your phone will still "ring" if someone calls but there will be no additional charge unless you answer.

I have Verizon. I only want to use my phone for texting only. Would I need the international plan for this? I have an IPhone, so are there any tips to keep the cost down, as in turning location and Bluetooth off?

Sent from my Iphone 4 using Tapatalk

Talk to someone at Verizon and explain what you want to do. You probably will have the option of either getting an international plan, or buying extra minutes for texting. Either way, keep your texting to a minimum, or it could get really expensive.:eek:

you might have an unlimited package here at home.

it will not be the case when on the ship. You pay per message sent and received.

You want to be VERY careful as you could be incurring charges for roaming etc.

if your phone is turned on and a person calls and leaves a message-- could be a charge.

call Verizon and ask about the cellar at sea-- make sure the person you are talking to knows what you are talking about

Verizon has an international data package that is 100 Mb of data for 25$ . I I used that on the cruise I took earlier this year, & I had plenty of data left over when I enabled and disabled the data function on my phone over the course of the cruise . I did not leave data on all the time, because you could possibly receive an update from Verizon for any number of things for your phone, and you would be charged against the 100 MB limit.

Verizon has an international data package that is 100 Mb of data for 25$ . I I used that on the cruise I took earlier this year, & I had plenty of data left over when I enabled and disabled the data function on my phone over the course of the cruise . I did not leave data on all the time, because you could possibly receive an update from Verizon for any number of things for your phone, and you would be charged against the 100 MB limit.

^ This

I have Verizon and always add this before I leave.

If you have your phone on for texting then it will probably be trying to send/receive data at the same time. This is a cheap way to cover any crazy roaming charges and allows you to get some data as well for checking email, etc...

Just be sure to leave this feature on your account until your next billing cycle.

I had issues in the past where I removed this too soon before the billing cycle closed but there were some delayed data roaming charges that came in afterwards and got charged per MB.