Australia choices

My DH just asked me today, "what about a cruise in Australia?" (for Dec 17)

I don't really have a clue about Australia, except that we have long time pen pals there and would like to see some of the country. Anyone who has been fortunate enough to go on a cruise in Australia, can you please chime in? What lines do Australia? I know Princess goes there and P&O. Anyone else? I got on the P&O sight briefly, but couldn't figure it out. X per quad or X per Triple. What does that mean? Do I take that price and multiply it by (4) or (3) to get the price I will be charged?

Thank you!

Princess, Carnival, P&O, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean...

If you Google an Australian cruise seller you'll be able to do a date search across all cruise lines which may be easier than looking at individual sites. Generally they quote price per person based on the number traveling in one cabin.

But P&O is a lot different to UK P&O.

December is also major school holidays here, from roughly the first week of December to the end of January, so peak season and top prices.

We usually try and grab a cruise in the first week or so of December, my wife is a teacher but at a private school so we can normally squeeze in a cruise before most schools break up.

Also remember it is Summer here and can be very hot.

For me it's Princess or Celebrity.

Princess

I have been looking at Dec 17 for us.

Where did you want to leave from and do you want see some of Australia or visit the South Pacific Islands.

One that might interest you is on the Pacific Jewel on the 16/12 leaving Melbourne, visiting Eden and Newcastle in NSW and Moreton Island, Mooloolaba and Gladstone in QLD. It is quite a diverse range of ports.

Are you travelling with children? Because we have done a Christmas cruise on the Jewel before and it is quite special.

I don't really have a clue about Australia

Well our country is the same size as the USA, and we have the top 9 venomous snakes, crocodiles and Tasmanian devils :D

But if you google cruises from sydney for example you should see lots of websites to give you starting prices and other ports, some sites are much better than others,

the main company websites like P&O Australia are not that user friendly.

Edited by 6666oz

The type of cruise you pick depends on your age, if you have children with you, how long you wish to cruise, where you will fly into Australia. Also what you would like to experience. If you put a bit more information about yourself, you will find lots of help and suggestions from A & NZ cruisers. :D

There are also cruises that travel around the Australian coastline and link up with train trips across the country. If you can imagine sailing from New York to LA through Panama, then getting a train back to New York you'll have an idea of what I'm saying. You could also hire a car or travel by coach. It's a great way to get an overview of Australia.

If you see prices per quad or triple, they only apply for that number of people in the same cabin.

If you're only taking two in the cabin, check the twin-share rate. All are per person. However the twin share total is usually less than the quad or triple share total.

There are often cruises that go from Perth (Fremantle) around the top of Australia down to Sydney.

Cruises from Sydney to and around New Zealand, bottom end of Australia, Tasmania.

Cruises from Sydney to the South Pacific Islands (such as New Caledonia, Fiji & Vanuatu).

Some go to Papua New Guinea.

Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, Carnival & P&O are the main lines. Go to any of their sites and put in cruises departing from

Sydney

Perth (Fremantle)

Brisbane

Melbourne

There are also cruises doing transpacifics in April or October (usually) to/from Sydney to Hawaii, Seattle, Vancouver as the ships change location for the season.

17 Dec Golden Princess departs Melbourne for a 13 night cruise around New Zealand

17 Dec Carnival Legend does a 10 night South Pacific cruise from Sydney

18 Dec Sea Princess departs Brisbane for 10 nights to Papua New Guinea

18 Dec Carnival Spirit does 10 nights to South Pacific from Sydney

18 Dec P&O Pacific Eden departs Sydney for a 10 night Queensland/Great Barrier Reef cruise

19 Dec Emerald Princess departs Sydney for 14 nights around New Zealand

23 December Celebrity Solstice 12 nights ex Sydney to South Pacific

There are many more but that's the gist of the cruises from and around Dec 17

My DH and I are in our 40's. No kids to go. This will be winter break for me as I am presently going to school. We like to visit new places and learn of the culture, take pictures, and try new foods. We aren't the sitting on the beach type, although one port or so to do that would be fine. I would really like to see some of the country, so maybe cruising isn't the right choice for this majestic country? We have had a pen pal who lives near Sydney for some 20+ years. It would be cool to meet. Looking at airfare is also making it cost prohibitive. Just for kicks, I plugged in December 2016 sailing,and was able to get an estimate for air. It was over $2000. per person. If anything, maybe this needs to be a trip a bit further down the line. I will check the suggestions that were given here and do more research. I thank all of those who took the time to give me feedback.

My DH and I are in our 40's. No kids to go. This will be winter break for me as I am presently going to school. We like to visit new places and learn of the culture, take pictures, and try new foods. We aren't the sitting on the beach type, although one port or so to do that would be fine. I would really like to see some of the country, so maybe cruising isn't the right choice for this majestic country? We have had a pen pal who lives near Sydney for some 20+ years. It would be cool to meet. Looking at airfare is also making it cost prohibitive. Just for kicks, I plugged in December 2016 sailing,and was able to get an estimate for air. It was over $2000. per person. If anything, maybe this needs to be a trip a bit further down the line. I will check the suggestions that were given here and do more research. I thank all of those who took the time to give me feedback.

Keep your eye on air, there are some bargains out there. I just bought flights yesterday Melbourne - LAX via Sydney return for AU$1260 (USD$961). That's flying Virgin Australia.

December $2k return sounds close. You might get down to 1.5 but that'd be about it I'm sorry.

And as much as I love cruising you won't see the real Aus that way.

Before travelling in Australia make sure you watch the documentary "Wolf Creek" to get some idea of how friendly and hospitable we are to visitors.

haha, oh that's just cruel. no tourist will ever come here again, lol

If you could come before early Dec, or after mid Jan, you might see some good flight deals. If you are prepared to do a stopover in Hawaii, sometimes ??, you might find great deals if you book flights between mainland USA & HNL, & separate flights between HNL & Australia. This has saved us heaps in the past & provided a nice stopover as part of the journey for a couple of days.

Most cruise lines here do the odd cruise that sails up the eastern coast of Australia. Departing from Sydney or Brisbane. This would be a good way to see the main eastern cities of say Syd & Bris along with maybe Cairns or other areas near The Great Barrier reef. A side flight to Melbourne would only be an hour or two from Syd or Bris. This type of trip along the east coast would allow you to see a lot of what most of us Australians call home. Within these destinations you will be able to see anything from big modern cities, historical towns, to beautiful beaches & scenery, rainforests, wildlife, etc.

But P&O is a lot different to UK P&O.

December is also major school holidays here, from roughly the first week of December to the end of January, so peak season and top prices.

We usually try and grab a cruise in the first week or so of December, my wife is a teacher but at a private school so we can normally squeeze in a cruise before most schools break up.

Also remember it is Summer here and can be very hot.

For me it's Princess or Celebrity.

Princess

I've never been on Princess. Can you tell me the difference between Celebrity and Princess regarding an Australia/New Zealand cruise? Is it cooler in November? I don't like the heat and crowds.

I've never been on Princess. Can you tell me the difference between Celebrity and Princess regarding an Australia/New Zealand cruise? Is it cooler in November? I don't like the heat and crowds.

Princess have a slightly older demographic than Celebrity, and a wider range of ships, currently 5 or 6 during the season, whereas Celebrity only have one for the whole season and one for a couple of cruises, so Princess will give you more alternatives. However I personally like both lines and think you will find about as much difference between two ships from either line as one from each line.

Nov will be out of School holidays and certainly a bit cooler temperatures are going to vary greatly depending on where in the country you are. Sydney mud 70s as a general rule.

The big problem in places like Far Nth Queensland and Darwin will be the humidity will already be on the increase.

Nov will be out of School holidays and certainly a bit cooler temperatures are going to vary greatly depending on where in the country you are. Sydney mud 70s as a general rule.

Thanks for all the information! Do you know where I can go to find out the November school holidays for Australia and New Zealand, so I can skip those dates?

Debbie

Florida - where we have high humidity

My DH just asked me today, "what about a cruise in Australia?" (for Dec 17) I don't really have a clue about Australia, except that we have long time pen pals there and would like to see some of the country. Anyone who has been fortunate enough to go on a cruise in Australia, can you please chime in? What lines do Australia? I know Princess goes there and P&O. Anyone else? I got on the P&O sight briefly, but couldn't figure it out. X per quad or X per Triple. What does that mean? Do I take that price and multiply it by (4) or (3) to get the price I will be charged? Thank you!

Tigerlily75: Here is Terry in Ohio's review of Celebrity Solstice from Australia to NZ' date=' with some time in Australia also that might be helpful

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139 [/quote']

Yes, super agree with so many of the very good posts and responses on this thread. Australia AND New Zealand are BOTH wonderful to see and experience. Great sights and people!! Appreciate the kind mention by Tigerlily75 of my live/blog with its many visuals and details. Great pictures are included because so much "down under" is so totally amazing and wonderful. Credit the locations, not the photographer!

TIMING?: That can be a challenge. As you are considering over that holiday period, things do get more crowded and/or costly. There are options for late November, early December, later January, etc., that might be worth considering, if and if.

Don't be shy!! Keep researching and asking these good questions. Lots of helpful people on these boards who are happy to share more, etc.

Your cruise can be very good, BUT, also carefully consider allowing enough time to do both post- and pre-cruise options in other parts of these two spectacular countries. Need evidence and proof? Below are a few samples of my "eye-candy" from these areas.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 141,750 views for this posting.

Here is a picture from our New Zealand South Island JetBoat ride that my wife loved so much. From Akaroa, we did a combination ship excursion that included both the rail trip to the mountains/National Park, plus JetBoat. Notice her hands and those of others in our row super tightly gripping the safety bar? That says so much about the speed and thrills while roaring up and down this amazing stretch of scenic river. We've had lots of great moments on this trip, but one was a unique and special ride in a location that is spectacularly world-class near the NZ Southern Alps. And, perfect weather with good friends adds to the great joy!!:

JetBoatOne1_zpscafe58a3.jpg

From our group's Bay of Islands water fun, we got to do real sailing, including going out into the nearby Pacific Ocean! See the proof and success below. It was both a perfect weather day and such fun sampling this great region of northern NZ. One of the options for those in our Central Ohio group on this custom, private sailing was to help to do as much (or as little as desired) in helping make this sail experience happen. Here you can see Captain Murray guiding the ship from this great vantage point on the back of the Zindabar. Was this exciting and scenic for our group?:

BayOfIslandsA14_zps5d841758.jpg

From the Daintree Rainforest and National Park near Cairns, Australia, here is only one sample of our exploring there. It was a somewhat challenging 1.43 miles circular hike in the deep, deep of this dramatic rainforest. Lots of rocks, up and down paths, twists and turns, hard work, etc. But we survived!! Even at our ages. Also in the Mossman Gorge, there was a long swinging bridge. Not Indiana Jones, but for us it was super spectacular. Here is just one of my favorites as it shows a member of our group looking at one of these huge trees in the middle of this rainforest and contemplating its majesty, size and history. And I told John the next morning, that the picture shows his more photogenic side!:

PixRainFampPDouglas5_zps27db0023.jpg

From amazing Kangaroo Island, 70 miles south of Adelaide in South Australia, here is a picture of two kangaroos doing what they do best on the open plains of this island while we observed at a distance.:

GBRLizIslanReef5_zps8aff9a96.jpg

This is Old St. Paul's church in Wellington. It is the former cathedral in the Diocese of Wellington for the Anglican Church. As an example of 19th-century Gothic Revival architecture, they adapted to colonial conditions and materials. It is at 34 Mulgrave Street, close to the New Zealand Parliament. Its construction was completed in June 1866. After a significant battle to prevent its demolition, Old St. Paul's was purchased by the New Zealand Government in 1967 and restored. Although not a parish church, it remains consecrated and is a popular for weddings, funerals and other services. It is constructed from native NZ timbers. The interior has been likened to the upturned hull of an Elizabethan galleon with its exposed curving trusses and roof sacking. The flags displayed in the nave include the Royal Navy, NZ Merchant Navy and US Marine Corps. Many of our Marines were stationed in Wellington during World War II. My wife is in yellow walking down the center aisle as she absorb the building details. This was a very important and "moving" site to experience. :

WellingtonA9_zpse247f172.jpg

At Te Puia near Rotorua in northern New Zealand during the Tauranga port stop, this Maori performance starts its ceremonies outside and then we entered the Wahiao Meeting House. Fortunately (with some skill), I was in a prime front row seat to be able to get great pictures, video, etc. Plus, experience the quality for how these members share these cultural traditions.:

RotMaoriOneA2_zps3517f252.jpg

Thanks for all the information! Do you know where I can go to find out the November school holidays for Australia and New Zealand, so I can skip those dates?

Debbie

Florida - where we have high humidity

Sorry you must have misunderstood me, there are no school holidays in November.

Australian school holidays can be found here. http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/special-dates-and-events/school-term-dates Each state has their own but they largely overlap with the exception of the Easter one. I don't have the info for NZ though.

This site for the Aussie schools but as you can see they differ (slightly) from state to state. Also here, our school year runs from Jan/Feb to December, so the long (summer) break is over the Christmas and New Year period.

http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/special-dates-and-events/school-term-dates

If you Google 'school term dates New Zealand' the other should be available.

Enjoy your visit! :)