My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

I was excited when you said they would be going to Maria la Gorda, which would be the new beach day, replacing Isla de la Juventud, because Maria la G is known for it's excellent snorkelling and diving.

Then I realized that there Gibara was not mentioned, or Antilla! They are totally by-passing the Holguin area. That is a real shame.

In my eyes, the value of this cruise is diminished with these changes. If you want to spend extra time in Havana, you can fly in early. There is no way you can easily take a side trip to the Holguin area.

Right on!! Havana is not Cuba any more than New York is the USA. If a port intrigues you to an extent that a cruise does not stop there long enough, fly in early or stay later and tour the place to your hear's content. But the truth of the matter lies in the passengers who feel that they can only board in Montego Bay without circumventing the embargo laws. As if their presence in Cuba could not be noted otherwise. They were getting 24 hours to do their thing in Havana. We were given but 9 hours to experience the best port, Antilla, that depicts every day life of the people who make up the majority of their nation. And now to give the MB embarkation a stop over in Havana, remember the Cristal a cruise not a resort, we are expected to give up this wonderful port completely. There's an old expression that says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Or how about "killing the goose that laid the golden egg"...

The loss of Antilla has sparked my personal review of the 2016 itinerary. While we may not agree with the overnight in Havana we can understand the interest. But what of Santiago de Cuba? Really, what has this large industrial port have to offer us in experiencing Cuba? The locals have already become more than savvy in the tourist game. There has to be something more appealing and here is what I found.

The port of Guayabal has a dock thereby eliminating tendering. It is on a direct and shorter route back to Havana (Santiago De Cuba is east of Montego Bay) thereby affording more time. There is a small town with beaches but primarily it is within a bus trip to Las Tunas. Now here is a tourist destination that gives us more of a feel for the country, and is of a size to keep us interested and entertained. To see some photos of Las Tunas go to:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=las+tunas+cuba&biw=1299&bih=880&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=HOgWVdmrG8WmNrCSgZgO&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

The port of Guayabal has a dock thereby eliminating tendering. It is on a direct and shorter route back to Havana (Santiago De Cuba is east of Montego Bay) thereby affording more time. There is a small town with beaches but primarily it is within a bus trip to Las Tunas. Now here is a tourist destination that gives us more of a feel for the country, and is of a size to keep us interested and entertained. To see some photos of Las Tunas go to:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=las+tunas+cuba&biw=1299&bih=880&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=HOgWVdmrG8WmNrCSgZgO&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

That looks like an interesting town. I wonder how long it would take to get there by bus from the port?

Who was it who said they would be adding a second ship? It looks like that won't happen next season.

While I didn't care for the locals in Santiago de Cuba pestering us so much, I do think that the port had a lot to offer as a stop. The main ones were the fortress as a Unesco location, there was Jose Marti's tomb and the city hall balcony where Castro gave his victory speech.

Edited by KandCsailing

Santiago de Cuba was interesting enough but the locals pestering the cruise ship passengers and ripping them off was awful .... We were quoted by a rickshaw rider 5 cucs per hour. His English comprised of 5 dollar and 1 dollar and nodding his head. The ride he took us on was very interesting but after 2 and a half hours we finally made him understand we wanted to go back to the ship. There when we asked how much we owed him he gesticulated $60. I would have argued the point but my husband felt that cycling in the heat for three hours was probably worth $60 and we paid him ....however when you consider a doctor in Cuba gets paid that for a month, it was slightly excessive. Another couple were charged $125 for a similar journey on a rickshaw. I would strongly recommend that anybody visiting Santiago de Cuba next year go on a ship's tour ... even though the trips were quite expensive, you wouldn't get ripped off! Sorry to see Punta Frances taken out ... we loved that morning on such an unspoiled beach. Personally I would miss out Montego Bay ... but as that is where Americans are getting on and off I am sure that won't happen!

HI again!

Ron ~ Las Tunas sounds like a great place & seems close to Holguin for the shore excursions. As scammy as Santiago is it does seem well regarded by the Cubans & does have quite a bit to offer.

burm ~ it was actually Ron who mentionned the possibility of a 2nd ship on page 97, post 1931.

Here is the latest review from TA:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k6858809-o100-Louis_Cristal_Cuba_Cruise-Cruises.html#65378859

The native part of the Cuba Life excursion might be considered hokey but the rest of it wasn't. The tour was quite varied, the food good & the countryside lovely.

ElandMar ~ was there another ship with you at Punta Frances? Both times we were there we had to share.:(

Chimo

~ Jo ~ :)

That looks like an interesting town. I wonder how long it would take to get there by bus from the port?

Who was it who said they would be adding a second ship? It looks like that won't happen next season.

It appears to be about 100 kms from the port to Las Tunas which given the unencumbered layout of the roads on the map might take two hours, considering Cuban road conditions .

The news of the second ship was given to us by Carlos our maitre d'. He seemed to be in the know as he was correct in knowing then the ports to be dropped for 2016. Early times yet even if they decide to start the season in November. Perhaps a choice: Cuba North or Cuba South?

I was on the March 20-27 roundtrip from Montego Bay. The issue of the ports and timing was discussed extensively in a seminar I attended on board as well as amongst many of the cruisers. According to Cuba Cruise, the Montego Bay stop is important for them because they take on produce, fuel and other provisions at that location. It furthermore allowed a lot of Jamaicans to have a nice, easy, inexpensive way to take a week's vacation to another country without having to fly there. Many of the Canadians I talked with had taken the charter flight and were very disappointed in how little time this year's itinerary gave them to experience Havana. The location the ship docks in will be ideal for allowing people to experience the fantastic nightlife in Havana, which was just getting underway as it was time for us to be back on board. I would imagine the long distance traveled along the north shore between Havana and Antilla, a stretch where it is not possible to stop due to shallow waters close to the land, and the resulting use of fuel might have factored into the decision as well.

Overall, I had a great experience. After I finish editing the blog posts that I somehow managed to post from the ship's internet connection, I will provide a link.

Note to burm;

Because of our relocation on the CC site I decided to go back to review some of the postings. Some days there are multiple postings that jump us to yet another page and I carelessly head for that "LAST" button. As a result I will miss entries. And that is how I missed and now found your review covering your "visit" to the shoemaker. What a marvellous story. You had me in stitches with your vivid description, delivering such veritable mental images. How I and I'm sure many others envy your ability to speak the language but I so envy you that day in being in the heart of Cuban family life, warts and all, for so few of us have ever or will ever get so close. Lucky you and lucky us for your posting. Many thanks.

Hi all!

oneidealvacation ~ thanks for the explanation of the port issues. I look forward to your blog link.

Ron ~ well Carlos was right on 2 issues so that was good.;) Louis is getting another ship so maybe it will come over too.

You are so right about burm's delightful story & ability.

I wonder (for no particular reason) if it would be possible to board the ship in Santiago de Cuba. Both years the Roads Scholars got on in Cienfuegos & off in Santiago.

Chimo!

HI again!

Here's the link talking about the Cruise Critic editor taking the last cruise of the season. Looking forward to hearing what she has to say about the cruise & perhaps how much time they had to spend being educated.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2015/03/23/where-in-the-world-is-cruise-critic-49/

Note to burm;

Because of our relocation on the CC site I decided to go back to review some of the postings. Some days there are multiple postings that jump us to yet another page and I carelessly head for that "LAST" button. As a result I will miss entries. And that is how I missed and now found your review covering your "visit" to the shoemaker. What a marvellous story. You had me in stitches with your vivid description, delivering such veritable mental images. How I and I'm sure many others envy your ability to speak the language but I so envy you that day in being in the heart of Cuban family life, warts and all, for so few of us have ever or will ever get so close. Lucky you and lucky us for your posting. Many thanks.

Thank you so much, Ron, for your kind words. I was afraid that it was one of those times when you had to be there to appreciate it. Every day brought many delightful experiences that don't sound like much in the telling, but which were a joy to us (like some of our bank experiences). Every day in Cuba was an adventure!

... Many of the Canadians I talked with had taken the charter flight and were very disappointed in how little time this year's itinerary gave them to experience Havana. The location the ship docks in will be ideal for allowing people to experience the fantastic nightlife in Havana, which was just getting underway as it was time for us to be back on board. I would imagine the long distance traveled along the north shore between Havana and Antilla, a stretch where it is not possible to stop due to shallow waters close to the land, and the resulting use of fuel might have factored into the decision as well....

The "Night Life" in Havana is presented for we tourists and has little to do with Cuba day to day life. That said, if there is to be a stop over in Havana then the lost port should be of lesser value. Taking a cruise ship to a beach in Cuba for the day is like taking me to a winery in California. All ports have beaches even Havana. Now I know that the horde of underwater divers found aboard ship will be annoyed at me for suggesting we give up such a day, substituting instead a port to see and do something. But read the negative comments for those that were deposited on Punta Frances for the day and you will understand just why another beach stop is neither appreciated or needed.

Edited by ONT-CA

HI GUYS. :)

Back at my house Compostela. Sorry for not writing before, you know that the wifi in Cuba is not going ok, and even today I do not have time.

The first to thank all the group is participating telling us your experiences that served as a guide in some cases. ;)

Now a preview of my Cuba Cruise. As unbeatable experience, I will remember it was our first visit to Cuba and we take extra 5dias in La Habana.

The boat known faults, WC, Wifi and TV grim, very expensive drinks, and with the positive, good food, decent facilities and attentive crew. Many times higher than Celebrity, Holland, or RCC. : Cool:

Our route took good time, we did tours with boat in Antilla Cuba live very well, and beach in Mobay well; in Santiago for free at Virgen del Cobre sanctuary, Castillo del Morro, cemetery and walk; Cienfuegos went to Trinidad and walk. So mission accomplished. : D

It's a shame that the route is different next year, I think that change is not positive, whoever you know Habana traveling before or after, in one day will know shortly. Luck is another European shipping will be in the area next season, so the English and Germans in particular, they will be lucky. : Confuso:

Well I will return further, now I have time to recover and begin to see more of 4000fotos, jeje. This year do not rot and advise but November is closer.

sunny greetings: P:)

Hi all!

manueljose ~ welcome back! Thanks for letting us know a bit about your experience. When you have time more info & pictures would be great.

There was another cruise ship in a couple of our ports, one at the beach.

Wow that is a LOT of photos to sort through!

Sunny but cold greetings to you too!;)

We had no idea this occurred. Wonderful to see

The Terry Fox Marathon of Hope takes place in Havana and all across the country, starting at 9am. This has the greatest participation of any country in the world with up to 2.3 million people running, walking, rolling and pushing in an inspirational testament to the ideals and stamina of Terry Fox (1958-1981), who was a young Canadian athlete who’s right leg was amputated due to cancer but who heroically crossed his country (143 days and 5,373 kilometers (3,339 miles), running to raise awareness and funding to fight cancer. If you are in Cuba during this time this is a great event to participate in the 4km circuit whatever your level of fitness, no pre-registration required.

* Second Sunday after Labour Day

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/terry%20fox%20run%20Havana.jpg

Edited by ONT-CA

If there is to be a second ship introduced into YourCubaCruise which one do you think it will be?

http://www.celestyalcruises.com/en/cruise-ships/index.html?fb_xd_fragment

I'm betting on the Odyssey for size (approx. the same as the Cristal with 800 passengers) and the fact it has at least 12 balconies which were in demand but not available this past season. But it remains an "if".

Just came home last night. I will only add to some of comments made.

We were in a small obstructed view cabin 6215 but our friends were in 6232 which was quite large for the same price. I did view other cabins and there are some nice large outside ones but some balcony cabins had very small verandahs. The entertainment was the best we have seen on any cruise ship and we have been on too many to count. The food was good not excellent but the desserts unfortunately were amazing and I am now on a crash diet as we are doing a transatlantic cruise in four weeks. Remember to bring a face cloth as they don't provide them.

We were told that the Air Transat flight to Havana (charter) will not be included next year. So you have to arrange your own air from Toronto which I think is a huge mistake of Cuba Cruise. I also agree with the comments about the change of itinerary. I also recommend taking tours especially in Santiago This was a wonderful experience and would recommend it but remember this is an old ship. Sherrill Ontario Cruiser

HI all!

Ron ~ wow, that is amazing they do the Terry Fox run in Cuba & to such a degree! Good for them! It seems to be petering out around here.:( I never did it but did support others who did.

Sherrill ~ thanks for your input. Glad you enjoyed the cruise. I caught a virus so this was the 1st cruise I ever lost weight on.;) Did you meet Chris from Cruise Critic onboard?

manueljose ~ wow, that's a great itinerary on Thomson Dream! :D

I sure hope with the changes Cuba Cruise is making they're not going to hurt their business.

I'm still awaiting publication of my review on Cruise Critic but will post the link when they tell me it's ready.

Chimo!

Hi again!

Just took a look at some Thomson cruises & see that Sunwing offers packages from Toronto. Since we probably won't take Louis Cristal a 3rd time one of theirs could be a possibility. Thanks so much for mentionning them mj

as I would never have thought of them.:D

HI:

is not a second ship of Cuba Cruise, is competency. It will be the Thomson Dream, I haven´t confirmed but the route it will be Habana-Montego Bay- Georgetown- Santiago de Cuba- Holguin-Habana. ;)

Thank you for this information. I was expecting an additional ship to be introduced into YourCubaCruise but the Thomson cruise to Havana is separate and now active December-March.

David and I had a very enjoyable cruise leaving Havana on 16th Cruise. Unfortunately we were unable to take our paid for tour to the Tropicana Cabaret. We have a refund voucher issued on the Louis Cristal and were told that, since we had paid for the tour via the web site, we would have to apply to them for the refund. I sent an email and a copy of the refund voucher via the website to the reservations email but have never received a reply. Then I emailed Caroline Modolo who had actually arranged the booking for us and she replied that she would send the accounting department a follow up message and sent her apologies on their behalf. This happened twice but I have still not received my refund.

I have tried putting a message on Facebook and Twitter and the only reply was to ask me to telephone Canada for further assistance. Since we live in England, I replied that the cost of a long-winded phone call would be very expensive, so it appears that I am back to square one.

Have any of you had dealings with the accounts department in Calgary and can give me an email contact or, better still, an email address for the Director of Sales or Accounts or the President himself.

I really don't understand how Cuba Cruise can be so dismissive of a customer and it makes me wonder whether they have any intention of refunding our 272 CAD unless I take out court action against them.

Any help or advice would be most welcome.

Janet

Cornwall, England

...Have any of you had dealings with the accounts department in Calgary and can give me an email contact or, better still, an email address for the Director of Sales or Accounts or the President himself.

The wheels of accounting turn slowly but grind exceedingly fine

We had an error and an overpayment of deposit when first contacting YourCubaCruise. It was only resolved when making the next booking ions later but it was resolved to our satisfaction. Their accounting system separates fares from on-board accounts therefore the name of the specific person(s) to contact might best be obtained from Julia Freeman through her email julia@yourcubacruise.com Although Julia deals only with fares, she is very knowledgable of the workings of their entire operation.

Aside, we are and have been working on obtaining a refund from a British Airways for a flight that they cancelled on us over one year ago. They may be hoping we will just go away, but we won't.