My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

And so it begins....

http://www.enrichmentjourneys.com/culinary-journey-to-cuba/#dates-prices

Seems expensive, but from Miami

I cringe when I see the photos that US publications choose to represent the Cuba of today. We all know of course that in among so many wonderful restored and historically significant buildings there is decay. But only the decay is shown and not the wonderful restoration. It's as if I was to offer a tour of New York city and represented it with this photo...

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/Clara-Hale-19831.jpg

That's the most expensive tour I've seen yet, which is saying a lot! Normally the licensed trips that have been offered over the past 3 years are "only" about 3 to 4 times more than what I paid to go on Cuba Cruise.

I finally got all of the pictures added to the blog posts that I mentioned earlier. My favorite day, Havana, is at https://oneidealvacation.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/havana/. There should be a cruise review from me here on Cruise Critic some time soon, since I submitted it two days ago.

Jo asked back on page 104 if it is possible to begin the cruise in Santiago. According to what Caroline from Cuba Cruise said, it is possible to board in Santiago and disembark in Cienfuegos, for example. The price is the same as the whole journey (so no discount), and you need to let them know you'll be leaving early so that they aren't looking for missing passengers when the ship is ready to depart.

And they are marketing it as a foodie tour. I'd be surprised if it was up to snuff for US foodies who have not been aware of the ups and downs of Cuba Travel!

Don't rule it out as a foodie tour. We had some pretty amazing meals. These were places that our guide took us to or that were recommended by our hosts.

We did have some poor meals, but those were the places we found on our own. :rolleyes: The worst meal was the most expensive.

... I finally got all of the pictures added to the blog posts that I mentioned earlier. My favorite day, Havana, is at https://oneidealvacation.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/havana/. ...

Magnificent photos of Havana especially in your exploits of light and shadow. You must have the patience of Job. Now why couldn't publications use shots like these in their offers of travel to Cuba.

Beautiful shots. Nice to see pictures of my old 'hood. :) We were right beside the Spanish Embassy in Old Havana, across from the Malecon. My hostess said she waved to me as the Louis Cristal sailed in, from the balcony where we ate breakfast every morning. I was watching in that direction as we passed and I also waved at her (without seeing her).

I checked the clipped on name tags of several dogs, and they all said something like, "My name is Amable and I work at the Museo de la Ciudad.

I finally got all of the pictures added to the blog posts that I mentioned earlier. My favorite day, Havana, is at https://oneidealvacation.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/havana/. There should be a cruise review from me here on Cruise Critic some time soon, since I submitted it two days ago.

I am working my way through your blog bit by bit, and I agree with you about the drinks package. This option would suit us perfectly.

On our next cruise we will have free drinks as well. To purchase, it costs US$59per person for 14 days for a total of $1652 PLUS 18% gratuities for a grand total of $1949.36 if my math skills are intact after getting 0 sleep last night.

Yet a lot of people say they get their money's worth!

Your Louis Cristal package would suit me just fine and I wish they would offer regular deals like that for moderate drinkers.

(2 alcoholic or non-alcoholic cocktails, 2 coffee drinks, 2 sodas or juices and 2 small bottles of water per day). This package is not available for sale, but would be a great option that would serve a lot of people well.

Hi all!

Kathryn ~ very nice blog & pictures:D. Thanks for the info about Santiago

embarkation. Wow what a long check in you had at the Mo Bay airport! I'd seen pictures of it so paid extra for our plane seats to be able to get off quickly. I had a short stop over at Charlotte in Nov & loved that little airport with it's rocking chairs etc.

Liz54 ~ looks like a one time cruise, right? I think the Roads Scholars had to pay quite a bit for their cruise too.

burm ~ I had a free drink package on HAL in August which was worth $50/day = $700 for the 14 day cruise. There's no way I could drink close to that!! I loved the little drink package we got for free on Louis Cristal & wish other lines offered one like it.

Chimo!

~ Jo ~ :)

Thank you all for your kind words! Knowing that people enjoyed the posts makes the effort to write them (and get them posted over the ship's "challenging" wifi) worthwhile :)

Magnificent photos of Havana especially in your exploits of light and shadow. You must have the patience of Job. Now why couldn't publications use shots like these in their offers of travel to Cuba.

Thank you so much! :) As an enthusiastic -- but definitely amateur! -- photographer, that is quite a compliment!

On our next cruise we will have free drinks as well. To purchase, it costs US$59per person for 14 days for a total of $1652 PLUS 18% gratuities for a grand total of $1949.36 if my math skills are intact after getting 0 sleep last night.

Yet a lot of people say they get their money's worth!

Your Louis Cristal package would suit me just fine and I wish they would offer regular deals like that for moderate drinkers.

I am always amazed by the number of people who swear by the unlimited drinks packages and find them to be a great deal. (And, yes, your math checks out. $2,000 is a staggering amount of money to spend on alcohol, imo). It seems that it would take a concerted effort just to break even. While the free options on this cruise were a nice perk, I was never even able to make full use of my "limited" allotment, with the exception of the water bottles that came in very handy on the days in port. When I'm offered a choice of perks, the free gratuities or onboard credits end up being the most cost-effective decision for me.

Kathryn ~ very nice blog & pictures:D. Thanks for the info about Santiago embarkation. Wow what a long check in you had at the Mo Bay airport! I'd seen pictures of it so paid extra for our plane seats to be able to get off quickly. I had a short stop over at Charlotte in Nov & loved that little airport with it's rocking chairs etc.

Thank you, Jo! Yes, the Montego Bay experience this time around left a lot to be desired. Charlotte ended up being a good airport to connect through (agreed on the rocking chairs!), and the experience at security and immigration/customs was a huge upgrade over Miami, New York or Atlanta.

HI all!

I was signed out of CC but came back to share the link to Cat's blog. She loved Havana & has some very nice pictures. The whole alphabet will be about Cuba & she's up to "I" now & you know what that is!

http://catstarrastraltraveller.com/2015/04/01/a-is-for-autos-in-havana/

Kathryn ~ people really appreciate a person's efforts in order to help them I find on CC.:D We never made full use of the little drink package either & sometimes I let DH have a 3rd beer as I didn't want a drink. I did usually take the water bottles to have in the cabin for my morning pill & to take on the excursions. The cost burm quoted for drinks would be more than any cruise bill I've ever had was!!:eek:

I wonder where Cristal is, I'll have to check out the tracker when I have time.

Enjoy the day!

What drink package is everyone talking about on board?

Thank you all for your kind words! Knowing that people enjoyed the posts makes the effort to write them (and get them posted over the ship's "challenging" wifi) worthwhile :)

I agree with everyone else. Good job.

We had huge lines in Havana airport when arriving that were slow. Everyone has to go up individually to the customs desk and then they put us into another line to scan our carry-ons before we could claim our checked bags.

I had the opposite water problem to you on board. I couldn't get our shower to be less than too hot.

I hated the coffee on our week. Loved the sample on our Cuba Life excursion though and I didn't even have milk in it.

HI again!

Kerri ~ this is the drink package description taken from Carol (my TA's) email:

"They are offering a Beverage Package - 2 water, 2 soda, 2 special coffee, and 2 alcoholic drinks per day with Transat. This is exclusive to Transat."

This was per person & free.:D

We had no problems with our water just the delayed toilet flush.

I remember the coffee at the 1st resort we ever stayed at in Cuba was so good I didn't need cream either & I'm a double-double kind of coffee drinker.:o

Chimo!

Hi all

We have been waiting for nearly 2 months for our 272 CAD refund from Cuba Cruise for the Tropicana Show which we were unable to take. We have a refund voucher from the Louis Cristal and have sent this by email to the company via their website. Since we had no response we sent it to Caroline Modolo and then to Julia Freeman, whose name I was given by someone on this forum. All I get is that they will pass my claim to their accounts department. I tried Facebook but got the same response.

In England we have a journalist in one of the national newspapers who takes up consumer problems and tries to sort them out with the company concerned. Do you have a similar person with any of the Canadian newspapers who might be able to put pressure on Cuba Cruise?

Thanks

Janet

Hi all

Good News. I have just this minute received notice from my credit card company that they have initiated a chargeback for the 272 CAD owed by Cuba Cruise.

Hopefully that is the end of the matter.

Janet and Dave

One less thing to worry about. :)

HI all!

Janet ~ great to hear you got your money back! My TA is back from her cruise so maybe I'll get mine soon.

How's the weather in Cornwall? The same tour I'm taking in June begins there today so I hope the people get nice weather.

If one doesn't want to spend extra time in Cuba getting on in Montego Bay was the way to go. No bureaucracy problems like Cuba plus the person would have had a full day in Havana. Did anybody notice people offering VIP service for a fee in Havana? We've used it a couple of times from Santiago de Cuba & found it worth the money.

Have a great day. Nice that it's warming up here finally!

That was long. Don't understand them saying at the end that they might has well taken a Celebrity cruise for the $8000 they spent when Celebrity doesn't do Cuba and their 12 days included 2 land stays.

Our 7 days onboard with flights cost $2400. I'll have to check on what else we spent, but it was a pretty cheap vacation.

Thanks for the drink info Jo. That would have been enough for Cam & I.

• Members

A reminder that Adam Coulter and I will be chatting with Cuba Cruise president Dugald Wells on Thursday at 10:30 a.m. EDT. But if you can't make it, you can go ahead and ask questions on the link - or jump in and add some of your own thoughts and photos!

Here's the link: http://live.cruisecritic.com/Event/Cruise_Critic_Live_Cruising_to_Cuba

Hope to see you there!

HI again!

Kerri ~ I haven't added up the cost yet but feel it was quite reasonably

priced. That little drink package actually was more than enough for us.

Chris ~ say "hi" to Adam from me please. I met him on the Cuba Life excursion last year.

Is there any way of finding out after the fact what was discussed as I have an appointment at that time.?:(

Things I'd like to know is why the change in itinerary & why the no tp rule.

I'd like to thank Cuba Cruise for getting that cruise up & running finally & wish them success.:D

In my opinion, the problems attributed to the "Drink Package" is to feel that; a) you must have made a sound decision in it's purchase and therefore the value of consumption must be equal to or preferably exceed that amount paid, and/or, b) the selection of beverages offered permit one to taste everything no matter what, where or when. Both these points can adversely affect one's health and can have a negative affect on your cruise.

I consume alcohol daily. But I consume, with occasional exception, the same amount and quality of alcohol as I do at home. I will discuss with the bartender my preferences in the proportions of ingredients as well as the brand use. Once mastered my drinks are made to order and for this the bartender is gratefully rewarded. Likewise the staff who will take the order. Each round is receive with gratuity and as a result I need but enter the room and my beverage preference is ordered. Mention has been made here of the use of lower brand quality and weak pourings. Neither apply to my daily cocktails and my approach to the bar results in happy server, happy bartender and happy me. When I review my statement, and taking into consideration the charges, and the gratuities, I am more than happy even if these exceed the price of a drink package.