My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

The way I look at it, our drinks package is costing us $13.50 pp a day, because that is the value of choosing this perk vs. the free gratuities. One drink can cost up to $11 plus 18% gratuities added. In other words, by only having one of the nicer wines with dinner, I can break even. :) But I won't stop with just one glass of wine with dinner. Oh, no - for the first time ever, I will go hog wild and have at least one fruity cocktail a day. Then if I have a coke in the lounge later, my savings will be astronomical. :p

I suspect DH will get even better use out of his package.

I am going to have fun with this!

Does anyone use air miles for flights? I was not happy when I was told that air miles can no longer accumulate for more than 5 years. Then a week ago, I received a letter saying that after May 3, I would no longer get a 25% discount on flights outside of N America. I called last week and asked if my flight to S America was available for next winter and they said yes, for 9,000 AM for two. I had to confirm dates with DH so did not book. Yesterday I called and they said they did not have seats for 9,000 AM but could get me the same seats for 15,300 AM. What a rip!!! I would still have to pay either $1500 or $1100 in taxes, depending on airline. I asked why the taxes are so high when the amount is slight less than $100 on the Air Canada website. They told me that the airlines hide the fuel surcharges.

As soon as I book this flight, I will be switching credit cards. Air Miles used to be great value, but no more.

The way I look at it, our drinks package is costing us $13.50 pp a day, because that is the value of choosing this perk vs. the free gratuities. One drink can cost up to $11 plus 18% gratuities added. In other words, by only having one of the nicer wines with dinner, I can break even. :) But I won't stop with just one glass of wine with dinner. Oh, no - for the first time ever, I will go hog wild and have at least one fruity cocktail a day. Then if I have a coke in the lounge later, my savings will be astronomical. :p

I suspect DH will get even better use out of his package.

I am going to have fun with this!

Does anyone use air miles for flights? I was not happy when I was told that air miles can no longer accumulate for more than 5 years. Then a week ago, I received a letter saying that after May 3, I would no longer get a 25% discount on flights outside of N America. I called last week and asked if my flight to S America was available for next winter and they said yes, for 9,000 AM for two. I had to confirm dates with DH so did not book. Yesterday I called and they said they did not have seats for 9,000 AM but could get me the same seats for 15,300 AM. What a rip!!! I would still have to pay either $1500 or $1100 in taxes, depending on airline. I asked why the taxes are so high when the amount is slight less than $100 on the Air Canada website. They told me that the airlines hide the fuel surcharges.

As soon as I book this flight, I will be switching credit cards. Air Miles used to be great value, but no more.

I had a large Air Canada Credit. Need to book flights to Cuba. Was told could not do because it could not be used on Air Canada Vacations! Sure looked like an Air Canada plane to us! They al know how to split hairs at our expense!

i had a large air canada credit. Need to book flights to cuba. Was told could not do because it could not be used on air canada vacations! Sure looked like an air canada plane to us! They al know how to split hairs at our expense!

air miles

=

hot air miles

HI all!

Chris ~ thanks for that info. I'll look forward to reading it.:D

I'm the same kind of drinker as Kerri & burm. I had the drink package in Aug but still only had a latte once in a while, water, one cola, a lemon drop martini after dinner & a liqueur more for the glass than anything.

I come from a drinking family (mainly beer which I can't stand the taste of) but didn't get that gene.:o I fall asleep, get giddy or have a hard time to get to sleep at night so it's not worth trying to drink for me. My cheeks also get hot & pink!

burm ~ that stinks about the Air Miles.:mad: I've used them a couple of times for flights to AZ & FL but still had to pay $200+. I'm wondering if Aero Plan are any better as I got an offer to convert my hotel points to Aeroplan.

I'm hoping to use miles for my one way to San Diego .

Sobey's just started giving Air Miles here & so does Metro so that's where I earn mine.

Ron ~ you got that right!;)

Chimo!

~ Jo ~ :)

... I'm wondering if Aero Plan are any better as I got an offer to convert my hotel points to Aeroplan.

I'm hoping to use miles for my one way to San Diego .

Sobey's just started giving Air Miles here & so does Metro so that's where I earn mine.

Sadly, Aeroplan is worse. Choice is limited and the added taxes & fees one must pay (curiously) seem to always be within a few $ of the best online fare offer.

Sadly, Aeroplan is worse. Choice is limited and the added taxes & fees one must pay (curiously) seem to always be within a few $ of the best online fare offer.

I agree - Aeroplan is far worse. I took out a card years ago with a wonderful sounding promotional offer. I saved and saved, then realized one day that I had a zero balance. Because I did not use the points within 5 years, they took my points without warning. I had enough for a nice vacation.

Five years later, they did write and advise me that my points had to be used up. I had given up using them on a regular basis, so just donated my points to a school. They would not have gotten me very far.

Now I don't even think of Aeroplan and never hear from them, although my account is still active.

Until two years ago when they announced that you could only accumulate points for 5 years, I was quite happy with Air Miles. I have used them for several flights and got a Weber BBQ on a great promotional offer for gold subscribers.

When I first joined Air Miles, the cash value of one AM was worth .16 cents. Eventually that went to 14, then 12, and now only .10. Time to switch, but not to Aeroplan. There are better options today.

HI all!

Thank you both for the info about Aeroplan! :DToo bad it's worse than Air Miles as they are what I am gifted when booking with my TA.

I did book a flight once using Aeroplan but had a lot of miles since we flew to China & my then TA suggested getting the Card. I think I bought DH's miles too.

So tomorrow's the live chat with Dugald Wells, anybody here participating?

Chimo!

I got an Aeroplan card when we got points one cruise. Lately all I use it for is at Home Hardware.

We are considering using airmiles to get to LA in Sept if we book that cruise. We have a lot of points since we had been saving for getting new appliances and then didn't move to use them. My SIL uses all her in their shopping section. Unfortunately all 3 Metro grocery stores in our city closed and Costco no longer takes our AmEx airmiles card.

I had the Hudson Bay Company steal all my points from their card.

Edited by KandCsailing

"Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen. We would like to advise you that due to the malfunction of our elevator systems aboard the MS Topsiturvi, we ask your understanding in using the stairways found both forward and aft. We would also like to remind you that due to the late arrival at our port, departure time will be in two hours. Have a wonderful day."

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/MS%20Topsiturvi.jpg

Edited by ONT-CA

"Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen. We would like to advise you that due to the malfunction of our elevator systems aboard the MS Topsiturvi, we ask your understanding in using the stairways found both forward and aft. We would also like to remind you that due to the late arrival at our port, departure time will be in two hours. Have a wonderful day."

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/MS%20Topsiturvi.jpg

I would not have felt so special on the Topsiturvi where thousands of other people had balconies. :p

Mind you, their S1 probably has a magnificent view from the 52nd floor.

...Mind you, their S1 probably has a magnificent view from the 52nd floor.

Sixteen degrees ports side, sixteen degree starboard, sixteen degree port, sixteen degrees, etc. Ay yai yai, white paper bags all around... And is that an iceberg dead ahead? And lucky you obtaining sixth seating for dinner @ 1:30 am... The Purser's desk? "Number 2,641, can I help you?"... Advising the night shift Maitre d' that this was the third time that waiter ran over your foot with his roller-skates... Drop-Off and Pick-Up laundry only. Deck names like, Salmon, Pike, Trout and Sturgeon... Life jackets are found next to your personal rubber dinghy...:D

Hello Folks - finally found some chatter about this Cuba cruise. Looks like a great way to see a bit of Cuba, plus spending some time in Montego Bay prior to boarding. We are a group of eight, but I assume utilizing the ship's tours is probably the safest way to go.

Hi all!

Sorry to miss the live chat but thanks so much for posting it, Chris.

I learned a few things!;)

AGnAu ~ welcome to the thread & congrats on your booking of the Cuba cruise.

Using the ship's excursions is a good way to go but quite a few people made their own arrangements. Safety is not really an issue in Cuba IMO.

Kerri ~ lovely picture you posted on the chat!:D Great if you can use your Air Miles for a flight. I'm hoping to get enough to fly to FLL or San Diego.

Is that a Mexican Riviera cruise you're considering? I did mine as I thought it a safe way to see Mexico without actually staying there. We've since been to 3 places in Mexico at AIs with no problems.

Chimo!

Thank you for posting the chat transcript, Chris. It is interesting that Dugald mentioned the Cuba is larger than all of the other islands combined. I hadn't really thought of it this way before, but given that Havana itself is so large and is a "real city" unlike any other I've seen in the Caribbean (except for San Juan, which is much smaller than Havana), it is less likely to become overwhelmed when the large ships can start visiting. Having the port in Mariel will help to preserve the character of central Havana, too. I'll admit that my main motivation for making sure I went this year was to get there before Diamonds International ;) The ever-changing U.S. policies were the second factor for me, and I wanted to take the chance while I had it. I'm guessing the 2016 cruise season will have even fewer restrictions on U.S. passengers than 2015, but at this point who can know what will happen in 2017? The November 2016 elections will be a huge factor for the future of U.S. citizens' travel to Cuba.

Hello Folks - finally found some chatter about this Cuba cruise. Looks like a great way to see a bit of Cuba, plus spending some time in Montego Bay prior to boarding. We are a group of eight, but I assume utilizing the ship's tours is probably the safest way to go.

I would personally recommend just doing your own thing in Havana. I wish I had done that! The few hours I spent away from the tour were my favorite part of the entire cruise experience. Another option is to take a taxi tour in one of the classic cars that will be waiting in the ports. If you want to venture far away from the port cities, the tours become a better option so that you know you'll be back in time to board. The ship waited nearly an hour past the time it was due to depart from the port of Antilla due to some late-arriving buses from the shore excursions to Biran and Alcala. We also waited for people who did the ship's excursion to the Tropicana cabaret in Havana (but this will not be a concern next year since the ship is overnighting in Havana). As I've said before, I think this cruise is the best option out there for seeing all that Cuba has to offer.

I find it a bit irksome that this thread has been moved to Ports of Call. People who are looking for Info on the ship and its cruises may not think to look under Ports of Call. Should we start a new thread under Other Cruise lines?

Anyone know the thinking?

I find it a bit irksome that this thread has been moved to Ports of Call. People who are looking for Info on the ship and its cruises may not think to look under Ports of Call. Should we start a new thread under Other Cruise lines?

Anyone know the thinking?

I suspect a moderator read the last few posts and decided the thread had shifted away from the ship.

Unfortunately a number of posters have used the thread to discuss ports of call and other subjects not closely related to the ship.

I suspect a moderator read the last few posts and decided the thread had shifted away from the ship.

Unfortunately a number of posters have used the thread to discuss ports of call and other subjects not closely related to the ship.

The subject is "My Cuba Cruise". I cannot see how one can discuss a cruise to anywhere without dealing with the ports of call. And because this cruise is new and unique, Cuba's ports will play a more important part of exchange of cruise information unlike, for example, a cruise to any other subject exhausted Caribbean location.

HI all!

Actually I'm liking this new location. Now you can see at a glance if there's been a post on the thread.

BTW is anybody following Cat's ABC blog of Cuba? She's up to the letter "R" & there's been pictures of laundry for those who love that!;)

Here's the link again:

http://catstarrastraltraveller.com/category/travel-notes/cuba/

Chimo!

Hi all!

Here's the latest review of Cristal:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=502086

Chimo & have a great week!

Wow! Someone did not do her research! I disagree with most, often subjective but the drink prices? I drink wine it was CDN 4.95 a glass vs. about 7.50 US on Princess!

Wow! Someone did not do her research! I disagree with most, often subjective but the drink prices? I drink wine it was CDN 4.95 a glass vs. about 7.50 US on Princess!

Other cruise lines seem to be dropping lobster night as well.