Expenses not included during Dream cruise

MexicoMark

My wife, two children ages 2 and 4, and myself will be on the Disney Dream for their 4-night cruise next April 2016. I am trying to gauge how much money we will need for on board expenses. I know that alcohol, the spa and off shore excursions require additional money, but what else is not included? If you don’t mind sharing how much did you spend? Also, if you know where I could find a price list that would be great. Thanks!

My wife, two children ages 2 and 4, and myself will be on the Disney Dream for their 4-night cruise next April 2016. I am trying to gauge how much money we will need for on board expenses. I know that alcohol, the spa and off shore excursions require additional money, but what else is not included? If you don’t mind sharing how much did you spend? Also, if you know where I could find a price list that would be great. Thanks!

Not included:

any drinks ordered in the bars/lounges. ($5 and up)

photos (various packages)

excursions

tip for room service ($1-$2 per item/per guest)

tastings($15-$25 per person)

nursery (if needed) ($9 per hour)

specialty coffees/teas

smoothies

arcade games

bingo

adult dining (Palo/Remy) (Palo- $30 per person/Remy-$50-$75 per person)

Popcorn

candy/snacks

gratuities (room host/main server/asst server/head server)

Edited by Shmoo here

The above list is quite inclusive. Bottom line--you can spend nothing other than your DCL reservation and tips and have a great cruise OR you can spend many thousands and have a great cruise. Your choice. Some examples:

Tips--TOTAL is $12 per guest per night, so for your family of 4 it would be $48 multiplied by the number of nights of your cruise. This excludes concierge.

Excursions--can range from $6 to rent a float or tube for the day to some that are hundreds per day.

Photos--packages are listed on web site. Individual prints start at $12 per print. OR take your own with your own camera.

Spa--$16 per day for rainforest pass or hundreds for spa vila for 2

Beverages--sodas "free" at beverage station, almost $3 per can from bar or server. Alcohol/wine--bring your own on board, spend $6 and up for a beverage or as much as hundreds per bottle for some wines.

Nursery for your 2 year old $9 per hour

Bingo--don't play or spend a lot--your choice.

MOST snacks are included. There are some served outside the theatres which include popcorn and candy and carry a charge. The same items from room service are charged. Anything like cake, cookies, etc. is included.

arcade games, sports simuator, etc--same as Bingo. You can spend nothing, a little, or a lot on these things.

We have chosen to do cruises where we spent literally almost nothing beyond tips, and we have chosen at times to spend quite a bit on excursions,etc. It is totally your choice. And you can have a great time either way.

On the Dream....I've been to Nassau. I would stay on the ship and enjoy all it has to offer. You won't miss anything by skipping Nassau unless it is your first time in the Caribbean/Bahamas. Your money is better spent on Castaway if you are trying to sort out excursions. Skip the spa--we have "day spas" near home with essentially the same stuff available for half the cost.

Where to spend your money--book a longer cruise as a rebooking while on board and get the 10% discount.

Thanks Shomoo :)

Awesome information Moki. We are planning to on board while at Nassau to take advantage of a less populated boat and hopefully get a few rides on the AquaDuck. It’s funny you mentioned booking our next cruise on board because we were just talking about that. Lol we haven’t even been on a Disney cruise yet and we are already talking about booking another on. Vacations are great!

Keep in mind that if you order beverages (drink of the day, etc) 18% gratuity is automatically added. I'm not sure, but the same probably goes for specialty coffees, milkshakes or whatever. It's easy to double tip if you don't know or tend to not review the check closely, OR - if you are my adult sons and double tip anyway in the spirit of having such a good time - LOL. That last one cost me dearly, but it was our first cruise (ever) and I can't fault them for wanting to reward good service. I've blocked it out cos it was a big number, so forewarned is fair warned.

Edited by Got2GoGo

Thanks Shomoo :)

Awesome information Moki. We are planning to on board while at Nassau to take advantage of a less populated boat and hopefully get a few rides on the AquaDuck. It’s funny you mentioned booking our next cruise on board because we were just talking about that. Lol we haven’t even been on a Disney cruise yet and we are already talking about booking another on. Vacations are great!

There is a free public beach about a $5 taxi ride from the dock. It's called Cabbage Beach and they have Banana boat and jet ski rides. They sell an all-you-can drink card cheap ($20?), but we didn't buy one. You can get lunch from the hotel next door, but it was pricey. If you want some more beach time, go early and return to the ship for lunch. My sister and I felt perfectly safe there. The only draw back was the surf was rough that day, but I've talked to several other folks on different cruise lines and no one else encountered big surf, so I guess it was a fluke the day we went (Sept 2014).

Most times, you can go onshore with NO excursions, but you have to research your ports! It's totally worth reading a guidebook when you have to pay for 4 excursion tickets! Most things are really simple and easy to DIY...That's probably the most expensive part of cruising, is excursions.

Keep in mind that if you order beverages (drink of the day, etc) 18% gratuity is automatically added. I'm not sure, but the same probably goes for specialty coffees, milkshakes or whatever. It's easy to double tip if you don't know or tend to not review the check closely, OR - if you are my adult sons and double tip anyway in the spirit of having such a good time - LOL. That last one cost me dearly, but it was our first cruise (ever) and I can't fault them for wanting to reward good service. I've blocked it out cos it was a big number, so forewarned is fair warned.

There is an automatic 15% gratuity on anything classified as a "bar item." This includes not only alcohol, but specialty coffee, smoothies, soda in cans (soda from the beverage station or fountain serve in restaurants is included in your cruise fare), and even those cute little light up things that attach to the kid's glasses. In addition, there is a line for "additional tip" on the receipt that you sign. The automatic gratuity is pooled and divided among all bar workers. Any additional goes to the person who served you.

While they LOVE it if you add a big amount as "additional tip," do keep in mind that they have already been tipped.

There is an automatic 15% gratuity on anything classified as a "bar item." This includes not only alcohol' date=' but specialty coffee, smoothies, soda in cans (soda from the beverage station or fountain serve in restaurants is included in your cruise fare), and even those cute little light up things that attach to the kid's glasses. In addition, there is a line for "additional tip" on the receipt that you sign. The automatic gratuity is pooled and divided among all bar workers. Any additional goes to the person who served you.

While they LOVE it if you add a big amount as "additional tip," do keep in mind that they have already been tipped.[/quote']

My point exactly!

Are drink packages available on DCL like on some other cruise lines?

No, not in the same way they are on Celebrity or RCCL. There are 2 wine packages available (standard and premium) which allow you to select a bottle from their list each night. If there is wine left, you can take it to your room or they will recork it for you and save it till the next night.

Fountain serve sodas are included with cruise fare, so no need for that package. There are discounts--the "drink of the day" is less costly than other drinks. There is a "happy hour" that offers 2 for the price of 1. There is a punch card for specialty coffees (fill in and get one free). There is a deal where if you buy a beer mug, you get a large refill for the price of the smaller one.

And, you can bring on board any beverage you wish in any quantity you wish provided that it is in your CARRY ON luggage. And you can get a watered down beverage at the captain's reception IF you can snag a server.

Edited by moki'smommy

To add to moki's post, from our experience on the Magic last month - the wine package is a set number of bottles. You can choose to drink them all the first night, or space them out. They will cork and save the bottle if you just want the rest of it the next night.

We were charged for wine at the captains reception. I definitely needed to find the server with free drinks.

Absolutely correct that you can get all the bottles on your wine package on night one, get one each night, or any way that suits you. And if you go to an adult dining restaurant, they will also be able to see on their computer that you have the package and provide from that if you wish.

Yes, if you "order" wine or another drink at the reception, as opposed to catching one of the roaming servers, there is a charge. You have to catch the guys walking around with the trays to get the freebie...and they are as much melted ice as beverages.

HINT--if you are purchasing the 2 for 1 happy hour special by the Quiet Cove pool, ask the server to make you 2 fresh ones (don't just accept the ones off his tray!) You are paying for those--get good ones.