Blue Kay

eliterror

After reading the review for this location, it seems to be great for a beach day, and close to the cruise port area.

For those in the know:

Is it necessary to reserve via their website ahead of time, or can we just take a taxi or the open air bus there, use their beach if we buy food/beverages? It appears the date we are in Costa Maya, there are no other ships in port.

The snorkeling and the beach looks really fun in the reviewer's! Thanks!

Just wondering, are you talking about my complete review that I did on the place? Or are you referring to reviews on some place like TA?

If you're talking about my review with pictures, you'll see that you just take the $3 bus over to Blue Kay and find a spot. Absolutely no need for a reservation prior.

The snorkeling was a lot of fun and a lot of coral to see. :)

Yes, your review is very encouraging and I appreciate the time you gave to do it. We have not decided yet on what to do at this port. It will most likely be a last minute decision, especially knowing we do not need to reserve ahead of time.

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering, are you talking about my complete review that I did on the place? Or are you referring to reviews on some place like TA?

If you're talking about my review with pictures, you'll see that you just take the $3 bus over to Blue Kay and find a spot. Absolutely no need for a reservation prior.

The snorkeling was a lot of fun and a lot of coral to see. :)

When you were there, did you notice if it was hard to get on a kayak or bike? Or did they seem to have enough? Loved your review, and will be going there in about 3 weeks...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When you were there, did you notice if it was hard to get on a kayak or bike? Or did they seem to have enough? Loved your review, and will be going there in about 3 weeks...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The day we were there, there wasn't very many people there. We pretty much had the run of the place with just a few locals and a few staying in the camping area would be my guess. All the bikes and kayaks were available. I actually didn't see anyone using them. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Are there bathrooms at the Blue Kay and are they clean? Or are they just a hole in the ground?

Yes, there are bathrooms and they are extra clean. I used them throughout the day and every time I went in there, you could tell that they had cleaned because the napkins I had used to dry my hands off with after washing them would be gone from the trash can. I have pictures of them in my review (which is in my signature line). ;)

We just got off Vision of the Seas yesterday and went to Blue Kay while in Costa Maya last Wednesday. We weren't the only ship in port so it was fairly busy, but easily found a nice spot at Blue Kay for our group. We took the $3 tram and got off at the first stop. We dodged the guy trying to get us into Senor Frogs and headed straight for Blue Kay. We had our pick of the tables and found a pair that would keep shade all day. DH and I hit the water right away with their snorkeling gear ($10 for the day) while the in-laws kicked back and relaxed. The entire day was fabulous. The water was clear and beautiful, we saw lots of fish including a little flounder fish trying to hide from us buried in the sand. The food was great (chips, guac, salsa, tacos, nachos) be sure and try the habenero sauce - it was fabulous! and the drinks were icy cold. The place filled up, but the two wait staff kept up with everyone very well. There were a few vendors walking around with hats, purses, sunglasses, jewelry, etc, but they didn't push. We never saw anyone renting bikes but there were a few renting kayaks. It's a taxi ride back to the ship ($2 per person). Some others from our cruise went further up on the tram and also had a great day. They saw plenty of fish including at least one sting ray, but they couldn't remember the place of the location where they stayed. The whole area is gorgeous and there seem to be lots of choices to have a fabulous day. We loved Blue Kay and really enjoyed our time there.

Head back through the port past the pool. I think there are signs that say taxi or transportation. There is a booth in the entrance to a little parking area where they sell tickets. You just wait there once you've bought your ticket and the tram comes and picks you up. The taxi will bring you back to the same spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where do we go to get the bus to get to Blue Kay?

As soon as you exit outside the buildings at the port' date=' there is a stand there and you purchase the ticket there for $3. Then they will tell you which bus to get on. Blue Kay is the first stop the bus makes and it will be at Senior Frogs. Just get off the bus and head toward the left. :)

These are the buses:

[img']http://kimbsphotography.smugmug.com/SUN/Thursday-Nov-13/i-fFMXMxr/0/L/PB130014%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg[/img]

They are pulled up right there at the sidewalk on the other side of the building.

PB130015%20copy-L.jpg

This is right outside the port and you'll be directly behind the pink building on the side walk.

P5160032-L.jpg

The bus pass:

P5160033-L.jpg

Edited by mitsugirly

Where do we go to get the bus to get to Blue Kay?

Walk through the cruise port complex to the big parking area. You'll see signs. The ticket stand is to the left facing the parking lot. Just buy a ticket and hop on the next bus.

At one time the first stop was Tequila Beach/Corona Beach club. You'd exit here and turn left at the malecon and head toward the lighthouse. Blue Kay should be a short distance up.

I was there last week. This is the best place to spend the day on the malecon. It has the best beach area, and fewer people hawking their wares. The food and drinks were fantastic and pretty cheap. Also, the nice restroom is a plus. If I find myself in Costa Maya again, I'll head back here.

If you take the tram, it lets you off behind Senor Frogs, and an employee will try hard to get you to go there. I saw another employee of Senor Frogs follow a woman all the way to a chair at Blue Kay, and try to convince her that she could not be there.

Glad to see everyone is enjoying it at Blue Kay as much as we did.

(It sounds like the flounder is a resident there since it was there when we went too :p)

We are heading there in a few weeks :D

I'm fine tuning my plans now. I was wondering if you recommend paying in Peso's or if Dollars work out alright. Just trying to make things as easy as possible...thanks!

We are heading there in a few weeks :D

I'm fine tuning my plans now. I was wondering if you recommend paying in Peso's or if Dollars work out alright. Just trying to make things as easy as possible...thanks!

They take US dollars with no problem and that makes it easy of course. :D

• 1 month later...
Going to be There March 26 is it that easy to get there and safe. Its just us 2 girls going. hopefully we can find others to all go with once on the cruise

Oh absolutely that easy and safe. You shouldn't have any problems. I would do it on my own here with no issues. You will be getting on the open air bus with tons of people no worries. You will be the first stop getting off and there will also be others getting off at that stop...but they will be going to Senior Frogs most likely. The place is located right there on the malecon, just like the other places only it's the first place along there. There's always people walking up and down the malecon and also staying at places along there...also right next door. You will not be out in some remote location with the worry that something could happen. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

LOL at the Senor Frog's guy following the person all the way to their chair to try and get them to come inside. I guess I need to pack me a little spray bottle of water to shoo them off when I next get down there.

Kind of off topic but a question on the bicycle rental. Are there places to park them along the Malecon in case you wanted to grab a drink somewhere? Kind of want to spend most of my day at Blue Cay but maybe make a run down the Malecon and have a stop in at a couple of other places. And I certainly don't want to have to end up buying a bicycle because of it.

Edited by Ralphinsc

LOL at the Senor Frog's guy following the person all the way to their chair to try and get them to come inside. I guess I need to pack me a little spray bottle of water to shoo them off when I next get down there.

Kind of off topic but a question on the bicycle rental. Are there places to park them along the Malecon in case you wanted to grab a drink somewhere? Kind of want to spend most of my day at Blue Cay but maybe make a run down the Malecon and have a stop in at a couple of other places. And I certainly don't want to have to end up buying a bicycle because of it.

Not sure if you have ever been to the malecon before...but if not...

All the places are lined up and down the melcon and the walkway/pedestrian street there is pretty much right at the door front or bar front of any place. If you stop along the way, you will probably be sitting pretty darn close to your bike with no worries. :D

Just like in this picture of Blue Kay, see how the roadway is right there at the bar? That's how most of them are.

PB130150%20copy-L.jpg

On our walk down the malecon...a restaurant

PB130474%20copy-L.jpg

This is Nohoch Kay down toward the other end...once again the malecon right up against the place.

P5160130-L.jpg

I don't think you will have any problems being able to watch your bike. Go and enjoy. :D

I've been before, but it was back in 2008 shortly after the port reopened from Hurricane Dean. The malecon had just finished being built and everything was still kind of finding it's legs. It's great to see that so much has remained the same and yet so much is changing. We are still over a year out so I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to pick through and research.

This was actually from our last time down there. Seems like it was yesterday but it was well over six year ago (eek!) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=889126

Thanks for your info.

Edited by Ralphinsc

I've been before, but it was back in 2008 shortly after the port reopened from Hurricane Dean. The malecon had just finished being built and everything was still kind of finding it's legs. It's great to see that so much has remained the same and yet so much is changing. We are still over a year out so I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to pick through and research.

This was actually from our last time down there. Seems like it was yesterday but it was well over six year ago (eek!) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=889126

Thanks for your info.

That's pretty cool that you will be able to see the before and after of the malecon. I went and read your review (and the entire 1st page of post). I love it when it's unspoiled like that.

I actually had found a picture of Blue Kay back after the hurricane and they were building it. It was pretty neat to see the before and after this many years later. Back then there was hardly any palm trees or shade.

area-L.jpg

beach-L.jpg

restaurant-L.jpg