Mayan Ruins

jnf

What is the difference between the Coba Mayan Ruins and the Tulum Mayan Ruins? I trying to decide which Princess shore excursion to take. The one to the Coba ruins is more expensive.

We haven't been to the Coba ruins yet, but we have gone to Tulum. Since it is so far from the port, we booked our excursion through the cruise line.

Some people don't go to Tulum since it you will have to take a ferry to the mainland to get on the excursion bus. There are horror stories all over CC about how rough the ride is. Yes, it's bumpy but I've also been on some unpaved roads that are bumpy, too. The ride back was smoother.

I'll insert a link below to my wife's website below in case you would like to see pictures of our excursion. She takes hundreds of pictures on every cruise and makes slide shows for her website. You will see the "ferry" in picture number 4. It is black, red, and white. Our ride on it was bumpy but not really uncomfortable. I didn't see anyone get sick even though the crew passed out bags to those who asked for one.

We were on a Royal Caribbean ship for this excursion, but I imagine all excursions would be similar if not the same. We chose the Tulum Express tour that did not include time on the beach. Yes, it was a long day but we enjoyed every minute of it. The ruins are wonderful and the site is unique since it is perched on a cliff and not back in the jungle.

Tulum Express Mayan Ruins

Have a great cruise!

Coba is further than Tulum, but I don't recall it being THAT much further. We took the Coba ruins tour and absolutely loved it!

The biggest differences I can think of (and this is based on pictures and tour descriptions, because I have not been to Tulum) is that Coba is blessed with much more shade than Tulum, and you can get much closer/climb onto many of the ruins that are exposed at Coba.

We were fortunate to have a wonderful guide who gave a great talk on the Mayan people and culture during the drive out to Coba that made the time pass quickly. Once at the site, he spent about 45 minutes taking us to a few of the major ruins areas and explaining what the structure was for. We then had another 45-50 minutes to walk about on our own and explore the trails and other ruins locations on the grounds.

At Coba, there are pedi-cabs you can hire to be 'driven' around the ruins areas if you choose. Its not bad at all walking around though.

On the trip back to catch the ferry, we stopped at a restaurant that is in a cave right in Playa del Carmen for a nice buffet lunch.

It was a long day, but we thought it was well worth it.

Two very different sites. Tulum is on the ocean, has a beach area, and is well excavated to the point of being more like a museum.

Coba is set back in the jungle and is only about 1/3rd excavated, but that being said is a MUCH larger area. You can climb the big pyramid at COBA which provides gorgeous views of the jungle/land.

Tulum is very "public" and Coba is much more "Exotic". Best way to describe them. We much prefer Coba.