Best French Quarter restaurants

misssea

I am looking for a reasonably priced restaurant that has good food for our pre cruise stay in New Orleans.

I really enjoyed Le Bayou:

15501084757_6d9d22eee2.jpg

image by alrichards4003, on Flickr

15066347164_70ce0ceb9f.jpg

15684360401_e5312a4794.jpg

15500890878_c05f028a85.jpg

15662564046_d89e0a62a7.jpg

15687873542_63b41e0f41.jpg

The Shrimp Napoleon with the Fried Green tomatoes was amazing.

As much as you may want to go cheap, this is one city where spending a few bucks will result in truly memorable meals.

In the French Quarter, try K-Paul's (Paul Prudhomme) or NOLA (Emeril Lagasse). In the Garden District, Commander's Palace (where many of the great chefs in that city got their start) and Pascal Manale's (BBQ Shrimp) are two very different restaurants and both are excellent at what they do. And, if I could only have one meal in New Orleans, I'd head to Brigtsen's (on Dante).

Do check out Trip Advisor's recommendations. And sip a Sazerac while you're reading the reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am looking for a reasonably priced restaurant that has good food for our pre cruise stay in New Orleans.

Here are the restaurants on my short list for my trip in less than 3 weeks. If it helps, we are three families of six adults (mid-30's to early 40's) plus five kids 2-10.

• Acme Oyster House
  • Cafe Du Monde
  • Gumbo Shop
  • Deanie's
  • Johnny's PoBoys
  • Pat O'Brien's (Hurricanes to-go only)
  • Ruby Slipper

Edited by monkida

Thanks for the suggestions! Just to clarify, I don't necessarily want something cheap but I just don't want to spend a ton of money on a meal either.

My list above, with perhaps the exception of Pascal Manale's which would be more of a less expensive neighborhood hangout, will compare in price to higher quality restaurants in major American dining cities like San Francisco, Chicago, New York.

With drinks or wine, expect dinner for two to easily exceed $100. And, that is not very expensive in the real world.

You could certainly spend less that that at a place like Acme Oyster House. But, IMO, it's fairly mediocre food - kind of like a Chili's or TGI Friday's.

If you can swing one pricier meal, please do check out Brigsten's though, like the others I suggested, reservations need to be made far in advance.

As much as you may want to go cheap, this is one city where spending a few bucks will result in truly memorable meals.

In the French Quarter, try K-Paul's (Paul Prudhomme) or NOLA (Emeril Lagasse). In the Garden District, Commander's Palace (where many of the great chefs in that city got their start) and Pascal Manale's (BBQ Shrimp) are two very different restaurants and both are excellent at what they do. And, if I could only have one meal in New Orleans, I'd head to Brigtsen's (on Dante).

Do check out Trip Advisor's recommendations. And sip a Sazerac while you're reading the reviews.

As a New Orleans local, I approve of this list lol. I'd add Muriel's in Jackson Square and Brennan's.

In fairness, they asked for reasonably priced.

K-Paul et al. on my original list are all "reasonably priced" in the real world of culinary standout cities. Commanders Palace is probably the priciest of the bunch. But, at $50-$75+ per person (incl alcohol), we're not talking about outlandish pricing.

IMO, it's worth someone robbing their piggy bank to have that kind of food experience.

I do admit, however, that a family with kids just looking for nourishment may want to look elsewhere.

I'm sure there's a Bubba Gump's type place somewhere near there. But, now you're talking about food quality that you could surpass with a box of Zatarain's at home.

K-Paul et al. on my original list are all "reasonably priced" in the real world of culinary standout cities. Commanders Palace is probably the priciest of the bunch. But, at $50-$75+ per person (incl alcohol), we're not talking about outlandish pricing.

IMO, it's worth someone robbing their piggy bank to have that kind of food experience.

I do admit, however, that a family with kids just looking for nourishment may want to look elsewhere.

I'm sure there's a Bubba Gump's type place somewhere near there. But, now you're talking about food quality that you could surpass with a box of Zatarain's at home.

A couple of those are far beyond reasonable. 75 a head isn't reasonable, it's spendy. Several of those do merge into the outlandish lane.

A couple of those are far beyond reasonable. 75 a head isn't reasonable, it's spendy. Several of those do merge into the outlandish lane.

You may want to do a bit of research. start here: http://www.zagat.com/b/new-york-city/48.56-what-can-you-get-for-nycs-average-meal-cost.

Note that these are 2013 per person averages including one glass of what might best be described as house wine. National average for a dinner was just over $40 while NY average was closer to $50. Here in SF, $150 for two at dinner at a good yet "reasonable" restaurant (w/wine, dessert, tip and parking) would be a bargain.

It's tough to find a truly decent bottle of wine in a restaurant selling for less than $35. And figure 4 glasses per bottle. Most couples will finish a bottle at dinner. And $20-$25 entrees are pretty much the norm in US food towns - yes even NOLA and Charleston (doesn't have to be SF or NY.

Of course, $75 may be a stretch for some folks. But, it is not outlandish in THE US in 2015.

If you really want to question cost, try Europe where 50-75 Euros would not be unusual and the quality/quantity of the meal's protein source is not as consistent as it is here.

It's hard to peg what's expensive and what's not, isn't it? I live southwest of Buffalo, NY where the cost of living is low. $30 a person around here for a good meal is expensive! With that being said, I don't mind paying more money toward a meal and I understand that in a big city like New Orleans, I should expecting to pay higher prices than around here. I appreciate everyone's input!

It's hard to peg what's expensive and what's not, isn't it? I live southwest of Buffalo, NY where the cost of living is low. $30 a person around here for a good meal is expensive! With that being said, I don't mind paying more money toward a meal and I understand that in a big city like New Orleans, I should expecting to pay higher prices than around here. I appreciate everyone's input!

I somewhat see your point of view. However, the cost of quality often defies geography and demographics.

We're surrounded by more than 3 dozen Michelin starred restaurants all within a relatively short drive. And the ones in rural areas are priced the same as the ones in SF proper. Moreover, they're similarly priced to other world class restaurants in places like NOLA or Charleston (or even Buffalo - check out Martin Cooks or Lombardo's) where the cost of living is far less.