Boston duck tour and New England Aquarium

ish drakes

Will be in Boston mid September on New England cruise with Carnival.

Been researching and it seems that while the duck tours may be fun, they aren't long enough to cover the entire day.

Will be in port from 8:00 am to 5:00pm, so was thinking if possible would like to take in another tour, possibly the New England Aquarium.

Would like advice on how feasible that is, how I would get it done and what is the best company to do the duck tour with.

Also open to other ideas on how to spend day in Boston. Friend recommended Barbour cruise but wasn't able to find any available for the date there.

Thanks

Are you talking about booking both a duck tour and the Aquarium as a ship's tour? If so, what would Carnival charge for those two tours?

Boston is very much a DIY port - it would be possible to do both a duck tour and the Aquarium on your own and probably for less money than Carnival will charge you. Why waste your time going from the ship to the tour and all the way back to the ship to pick up another tour?

What date would this be and what hours are you in port?

I think there is only one duck tour company. The water part of the duck tour wasn't that great. The HOHO might be a better choice. For example, you could get off at the Boston Commons whereas the Duck Tour just rides by.

There's the original Boston Duck Tours that start from the Museum of Science and from the Prudential, and there is also Super Duck Tours, which has a shuttle from near the Aquarium to the departure point and does a different route.

The Aquarium probably takes about 3 hours or so.

Both could be done DIY in a day, easily.

There are several harbor tours, whale watches, and it is possible to go out to the islands in the harbor as well. http://www.bostonharborcruisrs.com

Are you talking about booking both a duck tour and the Aquarium as a ship's tour? If so, what would Carnival charge for those two tours?

Boston is very much a DIY port - it would be possible to do both a duck tour and the Aquarium on your own and probably for less money than Carnival will charge you. Why waste your time going from the ship to the tour and all the way back to the ship to pick up another tour?

What date would this be and what hours are you in port?

Not a ship tour. Was thinking On my own.

Will be in port Sep 15 from 8am - 5pm

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There's the original Boston Duck Tours that start from the Museum of Science and from the Prudential, and there is also Super Duck Tours, which has a shuttle from near the Aquarium to the departure point and does a different route.

The Aquarium probably takes about 3 hours or so.

Both could be done DIY in a day, easily.

There are several harbor tours, whale watches, and it is possible to go out to the islands in the harbor as well. http://www.bostonharborcruisrs.com

Thanks. I think I checked out that site for the Boston harbor cruises but they weren't available for 15 Sep. will check again

The original Duck Tour is much more highly rated by my friends than the Superduck tour.

There are tons of harbor boat tours, we did this one: http://www.boston-sailing.com/Schooner-Adirondack-III

this past weekend and loved it (you can find discounts on Goldstar). There are many others as well.

The Aquarium recently upgraded their Giant Ocean Tank, but I haven't heard too much praise for the facility as a whole in many years, so you might consider something else instead.

I do see availability for Sept 15 at http://www.bostonharborcruises.com, but you truly don't have to book this more than a couple days in advance for a non weekend date. Wait until much closer to the date to see what the weather forecast is. If it's going to be cold and/or damp, you probably don't want to be out there.

Edited by Nitemare

The Boston Duck Tour is usually only about an hour and a half for the actual tour, so you will have time to do more while in port. Also note, that while they have tours leaving from the Aquarium, they are shorter than the tours leaving from the Prudential Center or the Museum of Science, so you get more sights in leaving from those two locations.

The New England Aquarium is a bit small, but a very well curated Aquarium and it was recently re-done. If you live near a fairly large Aquarium, you may be a bit underwhelmed, but it is still a very popular spot for both tourists and local kids. I also recommend the Museum of Science as it is one of the better museums in the city and you can catch a full length duck tour from there.

From the Aquarium area, which is Long Wharf, you can take the MBTA water taxi to the Constitution in Charlestown for $3 each way. It's a nice inexpensive harbor ride that might satisfy your need for a "water" experience in Boston.

The original Duck Tour is much more highly rated by my friends than the Superduck tour.

There are tons of harbor boat tours, we did this one: http://www.boston-sailing.com/Schooner-Adirondack-III

this past weekend and loved it (you can find discounts on Goldstar). There are many others as well.

The Aquarium recently upgraded their Giant Ocean Tank, but I haven't heard too much praise for the facility as a whole in many years, so you might consider something else instead.

I do see availability for Sept 15 at http://www.bostonharborcruises.com, but you truly don't have to book this more than a couple days in advance for a non weekend date. Wait until much closer to the date to see what the weather forecast is. If it's going to be cold and/or damp, you probably don't want to be out there.

Checked the Schooner schedule, there are no cruises on Sep 15. Where are you finding cruises on Boston harborcruises.com? There is the USS Constitution available but not the historic site seeing, unless I am using the site incorrectly and if I am I do apologise.

Seems like I need to find something to do besides the aquarium as it looks like I won't enjoy it much based on these comments.

Would it make sense to do the harbor cruise and the duck tour? Feels like it could be a bit repetitive.

What suggestions to do for my day in Boston?

Thanks

From the Aquarium area, which is Long Wharf, you can take the MBTA water taxi to the Constitution in Charlestown for $3 each way. It's a nice inexpensive harbor ride that might satisfy your need for a "water" experience in Boston.

Ok thanks. Sounds nice and cheap...lol

Will look into it

The Boston Duck Tour is usually only about an hour and a half for the actual tour, so you will have time to do more while in port. Also note, that while they have tours leaving from the Aquarium, they are shorter than the tours leaving from the Prudential Center or the Museum of Science, so you get more sights in leaving from those two locations.

The New England Aquarium is a bit small, but a very well curated Aquarium and it was recently re-done. If you live near a fairly large Aquarium, you may be a bit underwhelmed, but it is still a very popular spot for both tourists and local kids. I also recommend the Museum of Science as it is one of the better museums in the city and you can catch a full length duck tour from there.

We actually don't have an aquarium here in Barbados so I'm not sure how to gauge how I might feel about the smaller one. To the best of my memory don't think I've ever really been to one, so it might be a good experience. Not sure though cause the comments seem to be saying skip it.

Maybe I should check out the Museum of Science instead like you suggested.

We actually don't have an aquarium here in Barbados so I'm not sure how to gauge how I might feel about the smaller one. To the best of my memory don't think I've ever really been to one, so it might be a good experience. Not sure though cause the comments seem to be saying skip it.Maybe I should check out the Museum of Science instead like you suggested.

I happen to like the New England Aquarium, although I haven't been since the new tank was inaugurated. (I've been to several others in the US, Japan and Europe too, and swum with turtles, rays and sharks in Mexico.) In addition to the three story central tank, which I find magical, endlessly fascinating, there are the harbor seals outside the entrance, which I can also watch for a long time, the penguins, the newer sea lion training area/show, and all the side tanks with various ecosystems and types of creatures. It can get crowded though on some days, especially in front of certain side tanks, but most of the Boston museums can, and you simply bring your patience along. If you've never been to an Aquarium, I recommend going. Plan to spend 3-4 hours.

You can get an idea of what it's like here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc6Gx9qyLN8

And search for other videos too.

Personally, I find the science museum disappointing these days in comparison with other cities', with many hands on exhibits often not working and some explanations not very clear, especially difficult with children. The electricity show is well done, and the extra charge IMAX films interesting, but there's an IMAX next to the Aquarium now too. After 3 or so hours of crowds and loads of kids dashing around, I usually suffer from overload and exhaustion.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

If you are looking for more to do, you could spend done time at Quincy Market, looking around at the shops, watching street performers, eating lunch. It's quite close to the Aquarium. If you're interested in American history, the Freedom Trail, or parts of it, are an option. Also the Holocaust memorial next to Quincy Market. You can stroll through the traditionally Italian North End, quite close by, to see Paul Revere's house and get some cannoli. The Institute of a Contemporary Art is on the waterfront (by Silver line T) , and has a magnificent view of the harbor. Or go out to George's Island by boat (from near the Aquarium) to see Fort Warren. (YouTube is a good resource to see what these places are like.)

If you are looking for more to do, you could spend done time at Quincy Market, looking around at the shops, watching street performers, eating lunch. It's quite close to the Aquarium. If you're interested in American history, the Freedom Trail, or parts of it, are an option. Also the Holocaust memorial next to Quincy Market. You can stroll through the traditionally Italian North End, quite close by, to see Paul Revere's house and get some cannoli. The Institute of a Contemporary Art is on the waterfront (by Silver line T) , and has a magnificent view of the harbor. Or go out to George's Island by boat (from near the Aquarium) to see Fort Warren. (YouTube is a good resource to see what these places are like.)

Thanks

As a Boston native, I can tell you these are all good suggestions. The Duck tour is a bit hyped and you could take the tour buses that leave from Long Wharf and probably see more of the city.

Checked the Schooner schedule, there are no cruises on Sep 15. Where are you finding cruises on Boston harborcruises.com? There is the USS Constitution available but not the historic site seeing, unless I am using the site incorrectly and if I am I do apologise.

Seems like I need to find something to do besides the aquarium as it looks like I won't enjoy it much based on these comments.

Would it make sense to do the harbor cruise and the duck tour? Feels like it could be a bit repetitive.

What suggestions to do for my day in Boston?

Thanks

I had clicked the bostonharborcruises.com link, clicked Harbor Island, clicked "Buy Tickets" (on the left), and picked Sept 15 on the calendar, and had 4 choices for the George's Island cruise (which I think is the nicest one). Looks like the Historic harbor cruise is only on weekends after Labor Day, so you won't have that option, but the George's Island cruise will also have narrative -- you just won't get to see the USS Constitution.

Harbor Cruise is harbor, Duck tour is Charles River, there won't be any overlap

I had clicked the bostonharborcruises.com link, clicked Harbor Island, clicked "Buy Tickets" (on the left), and picked Sept 15 on the calendar, and had 4 choices for the George's Island cruise (which I think is the nicest one). Looks like the Historic harbor cruise is only on weekends after Labor Day, so you won't have that option, but the George's Island cruise will also have narrative -- you just won't get to see the USS Constitution.

Harbor Cruise is harbor, Duck tour is Charles River, there won't be any overlap

Oh ok. Will look into doing that as well.

So my options are Aquarium, Quincy market, harbour cruise to George Island and HOHO bus tour.

Thanks

Fenway Park tour is very popular

Freedom Trail walk is great

Harvard Square, with Harvard University and/or MIT is enjoyed by lots of folks

Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market

These are all things you can easily walk to or take a short MBTA ride to get to.

Fenway Park tour is very popular

Freedom Trail walk is great

Harvard Square, with Harvard University and/or MIT is enjoyed by lots of folks

Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market

These are all things you can easily walk to or take a short MBTA ride to get to.

Thanks