Which cruise lines

tinykygal

DH and I are looking at some fantastic prices on NE cruises. It would be our second trip. The prices are all over the board and since the lucrative fall tours are soon, the discounts are great.

Do you find that one cruise lines does this itinerary any better than the others?

We seldom dwell on the ship, but lately I think that was a mistake. Nothing bad but we should have chosen more wisely for our tastes.

Thank you

We have done this cruise on HAL, Carnival and next year we are doing it on NCL.

We really enjoyed sailing with HAL and the Maasdam was a great ship and had excellent entertainment. We did their "any time" dining which worked out ok most nights. Some nights we were given a table with others but when we went back to the Maitre' D, they finally gave us a table for two. However, the cruise should have ended in Montreal but the St Lawrence River was so high, the ship could not sail from Quebec to Montreal. So we ended up on buses to take us to Montreal.

We did not like Carnival. It only went to two ports--Halifax and St John and we did not like the ship, the Carnival Glory. We found the ship to be very glitzy and the entertainment very poor. This was a family celebration so we had no choice of ship or itinerary.

In September 2015 we are going on the NCL Dawn. which includes three ports that we have not been to--Portland, Gaspe, and Sagueney.

Basically you should pick the itinerary you like best then look at the ships that provide that itinerary.

We did not like Carnival. It only went to two ports--Halifax and St John and we did not like the ship, the Carnival Glory. We found the ship to be very glitzy and the entertainment very poor. This was a family celebration so we had no choice of ship or itinerary.

WE also sailed the Glory, but our 7 day cruise also stopped in Portland and Sydney, NS.

We found the food on Carnival to be very good, but I will agree the entertainment was lacking.

Cheers

Len

WE also sailed the Glory, but our 7 day cruise also stopped in Portland and Sydney, NS.

We found the food on Carnival to be very good, but I will agree the entertainment was lacking.

Cheers

Len

I agree that the food was good and I think on par with NCL. HAL's food was also very good. But because of the family nature of this cruise we did traditional dining the the singing waiters :eek:. The deserts on Carnival and HAL are 100 times better than NCL. The melting chocolate thing with orange sherbet on top of it was wonderful.:D

The Dawn is an older ship, but one thing that I really enjoyed on this itinerary (we did a round trip from Boston) is that they had an Irish comedian/musician and a small Cape Breton group playing folk music on multiple nights in the atrium. If you like traditional Celtic music, fiddles, jigs and reels, they were excellent. They only played one dance, as I recall, in the Spinnaker, but they sang and played beautifully in the atrium.

I did that trip with my mom and I went religiously to hear the trio, and she went on the nights that Jose and Patti played. Something for everybody!

• 2 weeks later...

We like itineraries that go at least as far as Quebec City. Back in 2009 we went on the NCL Jewel -- a wonderful round-trip 10-day itinerary from NYC to Quebec City. This year NCL is doing one-way, 7-day itineraries. Seven days isn't enough (when flying from the West Coast), and 14 days is too long for us to be away from commitments at home. So, in September we are doing a 10-day, one way itinerary from NYC to Quebec City on one of Holland America's newest ships.