Charge for safes

yeh well we all know the powers that be started charging the £15 per week

so will be interesting to see what they will charge on our 11 day cruise :rolleyes:

things do add up :eek:

Stevie;)

£23.57 and not a penny more Stevie ;)

We are going for 8 days, so how would that work out?

TBH we didn't bother last time :eek:

Were holding out for Buy 7 days and get one free ;)

Our insurance expects us to use a safe if one is offered !

We don't use the safe.

As long as you lock your cabin door - there is only one other person who has a key to access to your stateroom, so there's no need for Peter Falk in a grubby raincoat if anything did go adrift.

Of course, someone could always nick your card, or the other persons.........

Check your travel insurance. You might be horrified to find that, if a safe is provided in your accomodation and you don't use it, the insurance company will not pay out for any lost or stolen items. :eek:

Check your travel insurance. You might be horrified to find that, if a safe is provided in your accomodation and you don't use it, the insurance company will not pay out for any lost or stolen items. :eek:

yep....good point dave, any probs and the insurance will ask why you didnt take some preventative measures (i.e use the safe)

that said, I used the fridge when on dream...it locks;) (after all there was plenty of space as I couldn’t put my duty free in it!!)

A couple of things spring to mind over this then, as we refused to pay £15 for something that is already there....

1. So what if the cruise company wanted to charge you £100 to use the safe, who would pay that, they could collude with the insurance companies!!, ;-)

2. In which case you should be able to ask them to remove the safe from your cabin, and give you a document stating that you did not have access to one.

One scam after another, but having said that we had a fantastic time with Thomson last week, and would certainly consider using them again.

Colin.

Has any one actually checked the wording on their travel insurance.... "locked in a fridge" will hardly be classed as secure. And personally...... I've just spent 2 grand on a holiday, so i'm not too bothered about an extra 15 quid to make sure my valuables and more importantly travel documents are safe and covered by my holiday insurance and duty of care from Thomson. put in perspective, you can spend 20 quid in the airport on coffee and drinks

Has any one actually checked the wording on their travel insurance.... "locked in a fridge" will hardly be classed as secure. And personally...... I've just spent 2 grand on a holiday, so i'm not too bothered about an extra 15 quid to make sure my valuables and more importantly travel documents are safe and covered by my holiday insurance and duty of care from Thomson. put in perspective, you can spend 20 quid in the airport on coffee and drinks

This year is our first Thomson cruise after 3 previous. Everything you pay extra for on Thomsons is included elsewhere. Safes, choose your cabin etc. Now everyone complaining about changes to duty free issues. Have we made a bad choice. We picked this cruise on Spirit for ease of sailing from local port. Would we have saved money with another line and travelled to Dover or Southampton?

This year is our first Thomson cruise after 3 previous. Everything you pay extra for on Thomsons is included elsewhere. Safes, choose your cabin etc. Now everyone complaining about changes to duty free issues. Have we made a bad choice. We picked this cruise on Spirit for ease of sailing from local port. Would we have saved money with another line and travelled to Dover or Southampton?

This is what the Association of British Insurers says

Providers do cover lost and stolen money when it has been kept:

• on your person; or

• in a secure safe or locked accommodation.

Policies do not cover scenarios where you have failed to take these precautionary steps.

So I guess a locked fridge would count.

you can spend £20 on coffee and drinks anywhere

the issue here is that safes on any other ship/resort/hotel room would be provided for free

you can spend £20 on coffee and drinks anywhere

the issue here is that safes on any other ship/resort/hotel room would be provided for free

I disagree, i have been to plenty of hotels where they charge you extra for using the safe (in Bulgaria, someone gave me the instructions for programming it when i arrived - a leaving guest - worked a treat).

Do you really think, if the price of the safe was included, that they wouldn't have just put the holiday up by £10 each, and would you then notice? You have a choice this way.

I disagree, i have been to plenty of hotels where they charge you extra for using the safe (in Bulgaria, someone gave me the instructions for programming it when i arrived - a leaving guest - worked a treat).

Do you really think, if the price of the safe was included, that they wouldn't have just put the holiday up by £10 each, and would you then notice? You have a choice this way.

Agree with this sodafountain. Saga cruises and holidays provide a free safe, but have you seen their prices?:eek:

When we went to a hotel in Spain last year, we had to pay for ours, but for some reason my daughter got hers free and when she complained about the noise and they were moved to another room, they said "Oh yes, you have a safe" and she got it free again :rolleyes: Jammy :rolleyes::D

The operative word being locked would/could class it as being secure

This is what the Association of British Insurers says

Providers do cover lost and stolen money when it has been kept:

• on your person; or

• in a secure safe or locked accommodation.

Policies do not cover scenarios where you have failed to take these precautionary steps.

So I guess a locked fridge would count.

Thumbs up

Cue Thomsons charging for fridges next

Nothing is for free these days in hotels / cruise lines / resturants ... you will have paid for something along the way even before you used it or even thought you might want to use something.

The safe's must have a "master code" over ride code anyway. Incase dippy me and Mrs Smnb forget our code :eek:

My take on this is that if you've already given them 2 grand it's very petty charging you to use something that is already in the cabin and just needs a key.

Most hotels and timeshare resorts I use, the safe is free, in fact only last night I was in a hotel which charges £55 for a double room, and has a free safe, and that's London prices!!

tbh most of the rooms I have stayed in dont even have a safe! some of them barely have a light bulb:p

That's the other use for a fridge :D

My take on this is that if you've already given them 2 grand it's very petty charging you to use something that is already in the cabin and just needs a key.

Most hotels and timeshare resorts I use, the safe is free, in fact only last night I was in a hotel which charges £55 for a double room, and has a free safe, and that's London prices!!

Of course, the other side could be looked at, if you have paid a couple of grand for a holiday, why quible over an extra £15!! I have been in plenty of hotels where they charge you extra for the safe.

That's the other use for a fridge :D

damb useful those little fridges:) not just for keeping your bottles of listerine cool but also doubles as ....a safe...a bedside table lamp...little cartons of milk store....an occasional table...an hermetic environment to keep your socks in (one would still get lost) :oyou could even put your bottles of wine in there....you could...if they let you keep them:rolleyes::)

Archived