Diving in Belize questions

ukdiver

I'm headed out on a cruise in a few days time, and I've booked onto the Belize dive excursion through the ship. Normally, I wouldn't book through the ship and go off on my own with one of the shops I know, but due to time constraints I booked through the ship. If I miss the ship my girlfriend will kill me.

Because I'm quite particular about my kit, I'm lugging my single tank set-up across the pond. I'm also quite particular about how I like my kit set-up (and really no one touches my kit but me). There is also a very good chance they guides will have never come across a hogarthian rig (or drysuit) before. is there anyway to let the guides know that they are not to set up my kit, and I will be the only one to set it up?

I'm also a fairly experienced diver (GUE Fundies pass/documentation diver, BSAC Sports/Accelerated Deco Procedures, PADI DMC and nearing the 400 dive mark), and dive weekly here in the UK, normally in a twinset with the occasional stage cylinder. My dives range from shallow 8-10m bimbles to 35m with mandatory (and occasionally accelerated) decompression stops where I'm scurrying about (and occasionally through) wrecks. I have a feeling I'm a bit more experienced than the average cruise ship diver. Does anyone know if Hugh Parkey (the ship op) group divers together by experience? Normally, I have no problem diving with a newbie, but I do that quite regularly while assisting with classes, but this is my holiday. It's been over 3 years since I've gone anywhere warm with half decent vis, so I don't want to be limited in my dive because my buddy has blown through their gas.

How long and how deep are the dives normally? How is the aquatic life? And are the reefs healthy, or have they been beat up and kicked to death?

Many thanks in advance

Just tell the crew nicely, hands off. It's what we do (MSDT and DM), and never have a problem. We normally dive with Seasports Belize, but on the last trip there we wanted to do Teneriffe Atoll and so we used the ship excursion. Because of our backgrounds, we were allowed to dive on our own, so maybe you can find another experienced diver like yourself and buddy up and go do your own thing.

I dove with Hugh Parkey`s operation earlier this year. You will have no issues with them just tell them what you want. They send the heavy breathers up together and allow you to either swap buddies or stay with one of the dive masters. We had 3 groups of 5 to 6 people per dive master. I recommend you pick out your own dive buddy prior to boarding the dive boat. Usually you will have only the people from your ship on your boat. It`s about a 30 minute boat ride to their island where you`ll move your gear to the dive boat. Then another 20/30 minutes to the best dive areas. With water temperatures in the low 80`s you`ll be the only person in a dry suit. Enjoy your cruise.

I dove with Hugh Parkey`s operation earlier this year. You will have no issues with them just tell them what you want. They send the heavy breathers up together and allow you to either swap buddies or stay with one of the dive masters. We had 3 groups of 5 to 6 people per dive master. I recommend you pick out your own dive buddy prior to boarding the dive boat. Usually you will have only the people from your ship on your boat. It`s about a 30 minute boat ride to their island where you`ll move your gear to the dive boat. Then another 20/30 minutes to the best dive areas. With water temperatures in the low 80`s you`ll be the only person in a dry suit. Enjoy your cruise.

What can I say, I get cold in the pool when it's temps are in the high 80s :-p. plus my fins only fit properly if I'm wearing my drysuit, and I can't be asked to re-size my bp/w for 2 dives.

I understand the gets cold easy part. I wear a 5mm custom made wetsuit until the water temps gets to the upper 80`s. We call that being a water WIMP. The wimp is short for warm, intelligent, marine professional here on the SE coast of Florida. Were your going I would be more concerned about overheating prior to getting wet in a dry suit. Hopefully it will be a cloudy day.

I understand the gets cold easy part. I wear a 5mm custom made wetsuit until the water temps gets to the upper 80`s. We call that being a water WIMP. The wimp is short for warm, intelligent, marine professional here on the SE coast of Florida. Were your going I would be more concerned about overheating prior to getting wet in a dry suit. Hopefully it will be a cloudy day.

That's where light undergarments and not getting fully into your suit until the last possible minute comes in to play. It takes me about as long to zip myself into my drysuit as it does for someone to get into their wetsuit. Last summer is was quite warm in the UK (90+ degrees fahrenheit most days). but water temps weren't even 70, so thick undersuits were required. talk about overheating before a dive. Diving all year in the UK means your equipped for all weather and know how to handle.

Last time I dove in Belize, the DM was in shortie and some other divers did not wear anything (ok, T-shirt and shorts). It was in late Aug., so the water was warm.

I also get cold easily, so I usually bring my 3mm long wetsuit with me for the Caribbean diving.

• 1 month later...
Cannot speak about dive stuff but English is the language of Belize, refreshing,

What the heck is that kind of comment? Of course English is the language of the country, Belize used to be British Honduras. How is that "refreshing?"

if you show up in the Carib' with a dry-suit the divemasters are going to pay EXTRA EXTRA attention to you cuz they'll think you are a nut with no idea what you are doing . . .

NOT INTENDED AS A DIS' ... but a warning

I was on a Cayman trip in the summer and a couple got on the boat with us, their first day, and started dressing in full 1/4 inch wet suits, with hoods, and 20 pounds of weight.

water temp was close to 90 . . . .

I was 'friendly' with the dive masters at the resort and the looks and body language said "PROBLEM" ...... staff thought these folks were CLUELESS and needed EXTRA attention. Adjusting one's gear to the conditions IS a diver skill . . . .

In 40 years of diving throughout the Carib' ... I've NEVER seen anyone pull out a DRYSUIT.

My suggestion: save the luggage weight .... bring your reg's if you want . . .

I tell the boat staff to stay hands off my equipment . . . it CAN be done nicely .. I ALWAYS do it. (the better operators EXPECT you to set up your own gear because they watch you do it ... if you need help . . . .)

When I began to dive I rented gear because I could not afford to buy and there was risk because of different gear every dive

So I bought gear to increase safety .. and then dove for 30 years

as gear improved I stuck with what I'd bought up to a point (you can only use a two hose reg' SO long ... or a J valve tank) . . . . but became a very comfortable diver .... comfortable with gear that might not be mine

I dive less now and gear is very much changed and I'm much more comfortable with the changes in one set of rentals to another .... BUT I also know that some places rent GOOD and others NOT. My favorite resort rents SCUBAPRO .....

I've rambled ...... but I'll say this ..... drysuit on a Belize dive? Well, the vendors that serve the cruise trade expect to see EVERYTHING .... you'll help them re-baseline EVERYTHING

BE FREE ... DIVE N*A*K*E*D .. or in a 3mm anyway!

you don't agree and want your standard rig?

well, I guess it will work better than my trying to dive in your local spots with a 3mm farmer john!

{adjusting to the local conditions}

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 8 months later...
if you show up in the Carib' with a dry-suit the divemasters are going to pay EXTRA EXTRA attention to you cuz they'll think you are a nut with no idea what you are doing . . .

NOT INTENDED AS A DIS' ... but a warning

I was on a Cayman trip in the summer and a couple got on the boat with us, their first day, and started dressing in full 1/4 inch wet suits, with hoods, and 20 pounds of weight.

water temp was close to 90 . . . .

I was 'friendly' with the dive masters at the resort and the looks and body language said "PROBLEM" ...... staff thought these folks were CLUELESS and needed EXTRA attention. Adjusting one's gear to the conditions IS a diver skill . . . .

In 40 years of diving throughout the Carib' ... I've NEVER seen anyone pull out a DRYSUIT.

My suggestion: save the luggage weight .... bring your reg's if you want . . .

I tell the boat staff to stay hands off my equipment . . . it CAN be done nicely .. I ALWAYS do it. (the better operators EXPECT you to set up your own gear because they watch you do it ... if you need help . . . .)

When I began to dive I rented gear because I could not afford to buy and there was risk because of different gear every dive

So I bought gear to increase safety .. and then dove for 30 years

as gear improved I stuck with what I'd bought up to a point (you can only use a two hose reg' SO long ... or a J valve tank) . . . . but became a very comfortable diver .... comfortable with gear that might not be mine

I dive less now and gear is very much changed and I'm much more comfortable with the changes in one set of rentals to another .... BUT I also know that some places rent GOOD and others NOT. My favorite resort rents SCUBAPRO .....

I've rambled ...... but I'll say this ..... drysuit on a Belize dive? Well, the vendors that serve the cruise trade expect to see EVERYTHING .... you'll help them re-baseline EVERYTHING

BE FREE ... DIVE N*A*K*E*D .. or in a 3mm anyway!

you don't agree and want your standard rig?

well, I guess it will work better than my trying to dive in your local spots with a 3mm farmer john!

{adjusting to the local conditions}

Old thread, but i feel like replying. the awesome thing about a membrane drysuit, is you can adjust your undersuit to suit the conditions. a light baselayer was absolutely perfect for the conditions, and i have to say, i was the only person not shivering between or post-dive.

And i have to say, it's coming with me to the South Pacific and Oz this year. I like diving dry, what can I say.

I'm headed out on a cruise in a few days time, and I've booked onto the Belize dive excursion through the ship. Normally, I wouldn't book through the ship and go off on my own with one of the shops I know, but due to time constraints I booked through the ship.

Thanks for asking, While private dive excursions are well aware of ship restrictions and they need to perform well to make a buck, I understand your sentiment. This is a long tender ride, at least it was when I was there in 2009, before I became a certified diver, and lately people with private excursions can't be teh first off the ship, it is a relevant question. Off to read your replies.

What can I say, I get cold in the pool when it's temps are in the high 80s :-p. plus my fins only fit properly if I'm wearing my drysuit, and I can't be asked to re-size my bp/w for 2 dives.

I'm a far less experienced diver, but I wondered the same thing, thanks for taking the time to answer.