Vancouver vs. Hawaiian time

cwb348

Hope someone can help, as I'm getting very confused as I plan for our Carnival Miracle - Vancouver to Hawaii to Long Beach - cruise September. Normally, the cruise stays on the time of the port your cruise started in. So, when it says we tender in Kona at 9 am, I guess that's 9 am Vancouver time, and 7 am Kona time, right? I was trying to book an excursion with Seaquest, and it starts at 8 am. At first I thought we wouldn't get there in time, but now I guess we will. Anyone remember from their cruise? So most of our arrivals will be very early, but of course we'll leave much earlier also. Any input will be much appreciated!

Hope someone can help, as I'm getting very confused as I plan for our Carnival Miracle - Vancouver to Hawaii to Long Beach - cruise September. Normally, the cruise stays on the time of the port your cruise started in. So, when it says we tender in Kona at 9 am, I guess that's 9 am Vancouver time, and 7 am Kona time, right? I was trying to book an excursion with Seaquest, and it starts at 8 am. At first I thought we wouldn't get there in time, but now I guess we will. Anyone remember from their cruise? So most of our arrivals will be very early, but of course we'll leave much earlier also. Any input will be much appreciated!

Port times are always port time not ship time . Hawaii is 3 hours behind Vancouver .Meaning 9AM in Kona is 12PM in Vancouver. Basically Vancouver is 3 hours ahead of Hawaii Time.

Did you post this question on the Carnival Board? On my Carnival cruise, the ship stayed on the embarcation port time and did not change to local port times. I was under the impression that this was the Carnival norm.

Did you post this question on the Carnival Board? On my Carnival cruise, the ship stayed on the embarcation port time and did not change to local port times. I was under the impression that this was the Carnival norm.

If you only have an hours difference I can see not changing. But they say that they are there at 9AM. With a 3 hour difference I would ezpect a time change to occur.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

I think it would be safer to assume that the port time will be the time in that port and not the time at your embarkation port. It would create complete chaos for the ship to stay on a Pacific time schedule when you are in Hawaii.

Note that Hawaii doesn't observe daylight savings time, so the time difference currently is 2 hours, but when you go on your cruise it will be 3 hours.

If you only have an hours difference I can see not changing. But they say that they are there at 9AM. With a 3 hour difference I would ezpect a time change to occur.

I think it would be safer to assume that the port time will be the time in that port and not the time at your embarkation port. It would create complete chaos for the ship to stay on a Pacific time schedule when you are in Hawaii.

Note that Hawaii doesn't observe daylight savings time, so the time difference currently is 2 hours, but when you go on your cruise it will be 3 hours.

Just saying--safer to check it out with the people that know Carnival on the Carnival Board, or CCL, than to make an assumption. An easy thing to do to find out for sure.

Edited by pizzalady1

Agree - it's a good idea to not make an assumption, but without knowing Carnival I can say with 99.9% certainty by just looking at the itinerary, that the port times listed for this cruise are Hawaii times. e.g. it would make no sense to list Hilo as 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. when they were actually going to be there from 4 a.m. to 1 p.m. Same with the other ports.

We have done 2 TA cruise's and each time we crossed a time zone we would move our clocks . One time I think we moved our clocks 1 hr. for 4 nights in a row. I would say the ship changes their time each night as they cross a time zone, so when you get to Hawaii you will be on Hawaiian time.

Hope someone can help, as I'm getting very confused as I plan for our Carnival Miracle - Vancouver to Hawaii to Long Beach - cruise September. Any input will be much appreciated!

cwb348, come over and join the Carnival Miracle roll call. This will be a fun cruise.:)

Thanks for all your responses. I had already contacted my Carnival agent, and he said that as far as he knows Carnival always stays on port embarkation time and "he didn't know why this would be any different." That means we will get to different islands by 4 and 5 am. This just sounds crazy to me. And then we leave the ports by 1 and 2 pm? I'm just wondering if Carnival does something different with the Hawaiian ports. And I definitely can't book private excursions without knowing the actual docking/tendering time. I'm hoping someone will respond that took the Carnival Hawaiian cruise.

Thanks for all your responses. I had already contacted my Carnival agent, and he said that as far as he knows Carnival always stays on port embarkation time and "he didn't know why this would be any different." That means we will get to different islands by 4 and 5 am. This just sounds crazy to me. And then we leave the ports by 1 and 2 pm? I'm just wondering if Carnival does something different with the Hawaiian ports. And I definitely can't book private excursions without knowing the actual docking/tendering time. I'm hoping someone will respond that took the Carnival Hawaiian cruise.

I think the agent is out to lunch . How can you do that when Carnival moves a ship from the US to Australia . That is about a 20 hour difference.

Carnival usually stays on ships' time in the Caribbean --- not Hawaii.

We've done many Hawaii cruises on 5 different lines -- we always changed time zones.

Once on Royal Caribbean, we changed time on the way home at noon. That direction you give the extra time back that you got on the way over. The captain said nobody likes to lose and hour of sleep, but at noon on a sea day, you never miss it. He was right, but that is the only time we've experienced it. :)

Not true. Check your cruise itinerary, the ship will be docked from 8:00AM Weds, Sept 24 thru 10:00PM Thurs, Sept 25 (overnight stop). On to Honolulu 8:00AM-11:00PM, etc. All local Hawaii times. Hope this helps.

If the itinerary says you tender in Kona at 9 a.m., it is 9 a.m. Kona time -- not Vancouver time. If you look at the signature line of the poster who said she did not change to local port times, her Carnival cruise was within 1 hour of the same time zone to begin with (as far as I can see).

Also when you said the Carnival agent said the ship stays on "port embarkation time", I don't think he meant original embarkation port time (i.e. Vancouver), but the port you are embarking that day - i.e. Kona time in Kona; Honolulu time in Honolulu, etc.

Edited by ell52

Thanks, Cruzbuds, this was more of what I was looking for - someone who has actually done the Hawaiian cruises. I'm guessing that one of your cruises was with Carnival?

KamLoops50 - we had a good laugh at your response. First that our Carnival agent was "out to lunch," and then that by his logic we'd have to adjust 20 hours on a cruise to Australia.

Thanks, everyone.

I think the agent is out to lunch .

LOL… I would be very wary of a TA that give simple info such as that.

The ships move their clocks for all time zones, as they go thru them. Time is always current.

Therefore, whatever time your ship is in port, is the correct time. Local time.

One cruise line used to change the elevator rugs when the day changed. It was the only thing you could be sure of, :roll eyes: esp when going thru multiple time zones within a short period of time. Keeps you on your toes. :D

The ships move their clocks for all time zones, as they go thru them. Time is always current.

Therefore, whatever time your ship is in port, is the correct time. Local time.

One cruise line used to change the elevator rugs when the day changed. It was the only thing you could be sure of, :roll eyes: esp when going thru multiple time zones within a short period of time. Keeps you on your toes. :D

HAL still changes the rugs in the elevators on a daily basis.

As another poster mentioned above though, the TA might have meant that the port times are the actual times in the port where the ship is docking, vs. the original embarkation port.

It's good that the OP has been convinced that the port times will be Hawaii time and can proceed with his plans.

Actually, the Carnival travel agent meant that the times posted for docking are in Vancouver's Pacific time, not Hawaiian time. We have done 11 or so Carnival cruises, granted they have all been in the Caribbean, and the time onboard never changes with changes of time zones. If you leave from Texas, you stay on Texas time always and don't change on any of the islands. That's why they tell you to never ask an islander what time it is!

Actually, the Carnival travel agent meant that the times posted for docking are in Vancouver's Pacific time, not Hawaiian time. We have done 11 or so Carnival cruises, granted they have all been in the Caribbean, and the time onboard never changes with changes of time zones. If you leave from Texas, you stay on Texas time always and don't change on any of the islands. That's why they tell you to never ask an islander what time it is!

That is fine for an hour but when you looking at 3 hours I don't think it will work. If you are correct do they keep the ship on LA time while they are repositioning to Australia?

Thanks, Cruzbuds, this was more of what I was looking for - someone who has actually done the Hawaiian cruises. I'm guessing that one of your cruises was with Carnival?

Just one on Carnival, but all of them changed time -- have a great cruise!

Aloha!

Edited by CRUZBUDS

• 2 weeks later...