Blue Hole recommendation

descotes

Background:

We went to the Blue Hole when we went on RCCL Freedom a few years back with Liberty Tours. They were very nice and we had no complaints.

We had a bad experience at the Blue Hole where one of the people on our tour had gotten hurt and had to be taken to the hospital. It was a bit of a rush and instead of staying at the Blue Hole -- because we were more worried about having a ride back to the ship being so far away -- we went with the other family to the hospital and spent a few hours in a van outside the hospital. We eventually got to Scotchies after another driver picked us up and then went back to the ship with another group. Which is then when we realized we just could have stayed there while they took the other family to the hospital. But we weren't told that. We asked if we needed to leave with them and in the rush of the moment they said yes.

So now we're going back to Jamaica and my kids want to do it again because we didn't get to finish it out and go on the rope swing and stuff.

We could go Liberty Tours again because like I said we didn't have any complaints we just had an unfortunate experience. The other one is Peat Taylor tours but when looking on their website for the "Cool Blue Hole" It says the Duration is 1 hrs 30 mins - 2 hrs. That's a short time for the time it takes to get there. Then it says there are other options after the excursions like Lunch or Shopping or Beach which we probably wouldn't want to do but I guess if the rest of the people do then we're stuck.

The tour for Liberty to the "Irie Blue Hole" includes lunch and says the tour duration is 5.5 - 6 hours.

Has anyone done the Peat Taylor one to give me a comparison?

So now we're going back to Jamaica and my kids want to do it again because we didn't get to finish it out and go on the rope swing and stuff.

Book a private tour and then you can do whatever you want whenever you want on your own schedule. From Falmouth it is like $200 so for 4 of you it would be $50 per person which is the same price as most pre-made tours. :)

We did a private tour with Chris Linton from Chrisjamaicatours.com. We paid $200 for 4 of us for the entire day. We went to Blue Hole, Scotchies for lunch, and then shopping. Chris would have taken us anywhere we wanted to go, but we ported in Montego Bay so it was a 2 hr drive back. He didn't want to get us back late. Chris was awesome! In fact, we booked our next cruise because it ports in Ocho Rios and will give us more time with Chris!

We did a private tour with Chris Linton from Chrisjamaicatours.com. We paid $200 for 4 of us for the entire day. We went to Blue Hole, Scotchies for lunch, and then shopping. Chris would have taken us anywhere we wanted to go, but we ported in Montego Bay so it was a 2 hr drive back. He didn't want to get us back late. Chris was awesome! In fact, we booked our next cruise because it ports in Ocho Rios and will give us more time with Chris!

Similar story for me with slightly different details. :)

We used Javia Shaw with KnowJamaica and ported in Falmouth. Went to DRF, Blue Hole, Scotchies, and more.

We booked out next cruise because it ported in Ocho Rios and will put us closer to everything and give us more time. :)

When my family & I went to Blue Hole in January of this year, I booked a personalized tour with Peat Taylor tours. They were great and I would use them again when docking in Jamaica. Your best bet is to contact them and ask for pricing for what you want to do. I believe the 1.5-2 hours they have listed is the time you are at the attraction, or it seemed that way when we were there.

Hopefully your family has a better experience this time at Blue Hole. :)

When my family & I went to Blue Hole in January of this year, I booked a personalized tour with Peat Taylor tours. They were great and I would use them again when docking in Jamaica. Your best bet is to contact them and ask for pricing for what you want to do. I believe the 1.5-2 hours they have listed is the time you are at the attraction, or it seemed that way when we were there.

Hopefully your family has a better experience this time at Blue Hole. :)

Ok that makes sense that it's 1.5-2 hours that you're actually there. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the information

I emailed him and gave me a similar quote for a family of 4. I told him what we wanted to do, and he even provided us prices for things not included in the tour (tickets, lunch, etc.). Had we not already booked with another local indi operator, we'd use his services.

• 3 weeks later...
Ok that makes sense that it's 1.5-2 hours that you're actually there. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the information

Did you ever follow up here? Also looking at Pete Tour's for blue hole and porting out of falmouth.

There's only 2 of us- so I doubt many private tour companies would really book us.

Did you ever follow up here? Also looking at Pete Tour's for blue hole and porting out of falmouth.

There's only 2 of us- so I doubt many private tour companies would really book us.

You can do a private tour for just the 2 of you for about $100 each from Falmouth. (not including admissions, food, etc.)

Having just done it this past wednesday through Liberty Tours with my family including two children (6 + 11), I cannot recommend them enough. "Drive" Ricardo and "Wet" Ricardo were simply amazing: patient, helpful and always safe. 10/10 will use them again on our next trip to Jamaica. Lunch at Scotchies was absolutely delicious and unpretentious.

Warning though: I would not, under any circumstance, recommend taking this excursion if you have any sort of mobility issues or if your children are young enough they get easily scared of heights or cannot follow directions (for their own safety). It's a very adventurous excursion and *requires* climbing and hopping through sharp rocks and through waterfalls and often against the current.

Also interested in hearing more from anyone who's done this. We're going in April 2017...but it's just me and husband - zero mobility issues. A little nervous about this particular port though - never been. Thinking of sticking with Celebrity-sponsored excursion and just paying the markup. I normally book private excursions - had great one in St Kitts. But I keep hearing to be careful in this port and stick with ship only.

Just in a few diff forums. I have zero experience with the port either way - just mentioning what others have said as I start researching what to do there. Unfortunately, I may be too limited anyway, now that I realize the travel time required on a few of these activities. My sailing is only there 7:30-3:30.

Edited by Flafun888

Just in a few diff forums. I have zero experience with the port either way - just mentioning what others have said as I start researching what to do there. Unfortunately, I may be too limited anyway, now that I realize the travel time required on a few of these activities. My sailing is only there 7:30-3:30.

8 hours gives you time to do most things. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Falmouth is one of the safest ports in the Caribbean. We've been there 3 times with kids in haul and have done both ship and private excursions. Super safe, super friendly and helpful locals. Whatever you "read" or "heard" about Falmouth being a dangerous port is misguided/ill-informed.

Falmouth is one of the safest ports in the Caribbean. We've been there 3 times with kids in haul and have done both ship and private excursions. Super safe, super friendly and helpful locals. Whatever you "read" or "heard" about Falmouth being a dangerous port is misguided/ill-informed.

Thanks for the reinforcement. Good to hear from those with positive experiences.

• 2 months later...

Actually, Jamaica really isn't all that safe which is why we have avoided it in the past (cruising there in May). On a cruise several years ago that my husband took (before we met), his waiter who was actually from Jamaica warned him of things to be on the look out for. Drugs are a big problem in Jamaica and there are many people that try to smuggle drugs back onto the ship.

However, the cruiseline will even tell you to stay within the port area unless you are on a sponsored excursion. Sexual assaults, and robberies have been on the rise, mostly due to the poverty level there.

I've done quite a bit of research over the years, but have decided that I want to go back at least one more time. We are now researching excursions but will most likely ultimately stick with the cruise line sponsored ones, just for added safety.

This article is recent and can give you some insight too. Just always be aware of your surroundings. Jamaica is bad, but it's not as bad as Honduras which I will never sail to.

https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=19562

Actually, Jamaica really isn't all that safe which is why we have avoided it in the past (cruising there in May).

Actually you are wrong :)

Can we have some links to the articles that show the number of cruise passengers killed, beat up, maimed, etc. in the last 10 years or so?

This article is recent and can give you some insight too. Just always be aware of your surroundings. Jamaica is bad, but it's not as bad as Honduras which I will never sail to.

https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=19562

Completely alarmist. I would not take my kids and my wife if I didn't feel safe. We've walked through town and away from the port, we've ridden in local Taxis and been on their local public beaches on our own. If you are looking for trouble or smoke marijuana, well sure you know you're doing something illegal and not necessarily the safest. Jamaica is perfectly fine. You are in fact more likely to be victim of a crime on board the cruise itself (it so happens that those go grossly under reported and because they are committed in international waters jurisdiction is almost always impossible to determine).

Completely alarmist. I would not take my kids and my wife if I didn't feel safe. We've walked through town and away from the port, we've ridden in local Taxis and been on their local public beaches on our own. If you are looking for trouble or smoke marijuana, well sure you know you're doing something illegal and not necessarily the safest. Jamaica is perfectly fine. You are in fact more likely to be victim of a crime on board the cruise itself (it so happens that those go grossly under reported and because they are committed in international waters jurisdiction is almost always impossible to determine).

And yet there have been countless reports and accounts of crime that happens to people in Jamaica. Granted, things can and do happen anywhere in the world these days.

Lynn & Ken

And yet there have been countless reports and accounts of crime that happens to people in Jamaica. Granted, things can and do happen anywhere in the world these days.

Lynn & Ken

Countless. I don't think that word means what you think it means.