Tell Me About Sapphire Beach

Cardancer4

Went to Sapphire Beach 2 years ago and just loved it, rented chairs, swam, it was clean and just a lovely beach day, then it closed. I am looking for families that have just returned from a beach day at Sapphire and can tell me about the beach, and facilities, i.e.; renting snorkels, chairs, buying drinks, the restrooms (are they clean) and the vibe, is it still mostly families and couples that go there? etc. Cost of taxi? Any info appreciated! :cool:

Sapphire Beach never closed, but the dive center that rents chairs and shorkel gear along with the public restrooms closed for a period of time. They are now open (newly-remodeled restrooms) and Sapphire is as gorgeous as ever.

The beach is home to 3 condo properties and you'll see many of the owners and condo renters enjoying the beach as well as folks staying in other areas and other cruisers. It is a low key vibe as compared to Coki.

Taxi is $10pp each way from Havensight

The bathrooms are the same. At least women's bathroom is. Same 3 stalls. Clean but missing either tp or pt last I was there.

Hmmm...we haven't been there since they re-opened and I was relying on the regulars who rent there that we know from TA. Perhaps just the one but that's odd...

Thanks!

So, chair rentals are available now? I had heard the parking lot was closed, unless you were in the condos? We rent a car, and if we cannot park, that would make things difficult. Help would be appreciated, tx.

So, chair rentals are available now? I had heard the parking lot was closed, unless you were in the condos? We rent a car, and if we cannot park, that would make things difficult. Help would be appreciated, tx.

Is there chairs?

Our family of 5 visited Sapphire Beach on July 29, 2014. We were on the Oasis and docked at Crown Bay. Three other cruise ships were at Havensight.

We got off the ship and I bought a Diet Coke at a pharmacy (at the port) called Choice. Then, we headed to get a taxi.

There were lots of taxi drivers asking where I wanted to go. The taxis are vans or these open air vehicles. Everyone was going to other beaches or to downtown. I had to speak to the man in charge of the taxis. He explained that the bathrooms at Sapphire were closed and discouraged us from going. He said all of that stuff and then said, "But if you want to go to Sapphire, we can take you. I had read on Cruise Critic that the bathrooms were now open, so I said that I still wanted to go to Sapphire. Finally, a cab driver agreed to take us. He also found a couple that wanted to go to Sugar Bay resort which is close to Sapphire. His van was now full and we headed out. He charged us $11 a person to go to Sapphire. We asked the driver to come back for us and we exchanged phone numbers.

When we got to the beach, there were lots of people there, although it wasn't crowded. I grabbed a spot in the shade. Chairs are $9. The beach is gorgeous. I brought water shoes and I am so glad. There are lots of little rocks at the entrance to the water. They didn't bother the rest of my family. I must have thin soles because it felt like torture without my water shoes.

My husband used the bathrooms and he said they were fine.

The dive shop is open, but we have our own stuff. I don't know how much they charge. They have water and beer at the dive shop.

Waitresses come from another building and pass out menus for drinks and food. They will come right back with your order.

Some of the condos are having work done and jackhammers were being used. I wanted to stay in the shade, so I put up with the noise. There was plenty of space farther down where I could have escaped the noise.

I didn't notice anything about the parking lot. I wonder if you could call the dive shop for information about parking.

The 3 hours passed so fast. The cab driver came back at the time we requested and took us back to Crown Bay.

We haven't been there since last Nov., but when we did drive there, we were directed to park over near the Budget car rental lot. I can't imagine that parking lot being closed---it was basically just a dirt lot anyway.

We were there on the 29th as well. The taxi from the port for us was $10pp, its an awesome ride there, its like taking a roller coaster with all the hills they have on STT. WHen we got there I wasn't sure about a return ($9/chair) they set you up where ever you want. From the dive center if you are facing the water and go to the right there is a lot of shade but the day we were there they were working on one of the condos and running jack hammers, so we went to the opposite side. The snorkeling is amazing. IF you're looking at the water we went out to the right and swam out to the point, the first few patches of coral on the way out are dead and theres just a bunch of grass, keep heading out to the point and it is awesome! We spent a good hour out there and came back in for a few drinks and the wife said we had time for 1 more swim. We were going to head out to the island (you can't miss it) but decided we didn't have enough time. The kid working in the dive center called it shark Island and said its great out there but be careful of the sharks.

Bathrooms were clean. There were a fair amount of people on the beach but not jammed packed, you all get to see Igunas, we seen about 3 of them walking around under the trees.

When it was time to leave (it was before 4PM) we just walked back to where we got dropped off and a guy asked if we needed a cab and we jumped right on and headed back to town, another $10pp.

I would recommend going to this beach! It was awesome. I am working on some GoPro video we took while there and when done will post it up.

Thanks for the report miss_rach! Sapphire is a gorgeous spot and the snorkeling is excellent. There's also a seagrass area off to the left where you may see rays and sea turtles if you return.

They are still finifning the upgrades to the condo exteriors during low season and should be completing that before high season.

They are still finifning the upgrades to the condo exteriors during low season and should be completing that before high season.

Just a quickie blue water, we will be there the second week of December, I am thinking that would be during high season and that the area should pretty much be settled. What do you think?

Barbara

ps....get lots of good info from your posts, thanks!

Here's a link to the GoPro video we took while there. We only had time to go to the right of the dive shop out to the point. Next time I think we'll go out to shark Island.

Has anyone ever gone out there? Is it good snorkeling?

The exterior of the condos has nothing to do with day trippers, but it is noise you wouldn't hear if they weren't doing the construction. They should be finished by Dec.

The Environmental Association of St Thomas sponsors a Shark Island swim every Father's Day. They have kayakers follow them in case someone needs help. It's not a recommended swim for safety reasons. Current can be strong and no lifeguard. If you decide to try it, please do not post. Others should not be encouraged. Thank you.

It is very dangerous to snorkel out to shark island and there is a history of bad accidents with boats and jetskis.

There can be a strong current and it is an area used by boats and jetskiers that cannot always see snorkelers in the water.

Don't even think about it.

Sapphire is one of the longest and widest beaches on St Thomas. Plenty of room for you...

Thanks for that information. Was a little worried it would be super crowded and spoil the peaceful experience that we hope to have while there. Not taking cruise ship excursion. BTW :)

To explain a little more what you'll see, Sapphire Beach is home to 3 condo resorts. The Sapphire Village sits on the hill overlooking the marina. Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina is the only condo property right on the beach close to the water. You'll be dropped at the old office/restaurant where the dive center is also located. To the right is all rock and where you'd snorkel out to the reef. To the left is the sandy swimming area, and further to the left a seagrass area and then the Crystal Cove Resort.

Sapphire never got as crowded as the other beaches when we were renting there. But I have seen pictures where it was pretty crowded right in front of the dive center when tours dropped folks off. But as O2B correctly said the bay is large enough (larger than Coki or Secret Harbor, for example) that there is more room to spread out. From our experiences on STT and even STJ Sapphire is our favorite beach with the water and island views and natural shade., and we like the mahi mahi sandwich from the Banana Cabana beach gril between condo bldgs B & C. But you can also get good food from the Sapphire Village Restaurant, both will probably have a runner taking orders on the beach. Off The Grid food truck at the entrance of Sapphire also has good food.

Edited by blue_water

One note, the restaurant has been closed for some time at the Sapphire Beach resort for various reasons so it's not a nice building at the moment. But the beach is definitely nice and you'll enjoy that.

Have fun!

The last time we were there (in May)....the iguanas had gotten quite aggressive....probably from so many people feeding them. We like to sit under the trees near the volleyball court....and we were actually scared the last time we were there. Previously....they were fine. I was just wondering if this problem had been taken care of.

We haven't experienced that while staying there but have seen the very occasional post regarding over-zealous lizards :D

People do tend to feed them and that can lead to them expecting that. One note - we've always been told they love red and so wearing red toenail polish may not be a good idea :eek:

No way to take care of aggressive iguanas as long as people feed them. Same as with most other animals including fish.

Iguanas are more prevalent in the afternoon. Don't feed any animals and don't keep food exposed and you should be OK.

Trunk is beautiful, although if going to STJ we'd choose Cinnamon Bay instead.

That adds about another 2 hrs with wait times so it just depends on your available time and what you want to do.

Sapphire is also beautiful, just 2 different beaches...