Do I need to take medications in there original bottles?

secordwest

Can anyone tell me if I will need to take all my medications in there original bottles both prescription and non-prescription.? I have never traveled with my medications in there original bottles. I use a large weekly pill container, with my prescription and non-prescription mixed. Never have I had a problem and how would they know what’s, what’s anyway, is there a pharmacist at every check in?:rolleyes: No really will I have to take my meds in the original bottles? Hope not because they are huge.:eek:

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

Liquids should be in orginal containers.

While I have never taken any liquid medication on a vacation, I have taken pills and do not take the original bottle. I have never had a problem. (However, my meds are boring (blood pressure/synthroid/ambien/aspirin).

Also with everything going on in the airline industry, I would highly reccomend bringing them in the original containers. Another point well pointed out, do ya really want to be in a different country with meds that you can't prove what they are?

Point well taken, thank you

I guess I just worry too much about "what if"'s. I have type 2 diabetes & have never had any complications. But when I travel I worry about what if I go into a coma..have a stroke...etc. so I take my meds in their bottles so the people in the infirmery know everything about them & who my dr. is.

I called the American airlines yesterday . you have to have your meds in the prescribed bottle with you name on it. This is for your carry on bag. Is it the same for the ship? I understand they are lifting some of the bands on some things. I plan to call again before our cruise in November. So the way i understand it you have to have a bottle for each medication. Next time i will ask more about over thr counter drugs.

Can anyone tell me if I will need to take all my medications in there original bottles both prescription and non-prescription.? I have never traveled with my medications in there original bottles. I use a large weekly pill container, with my prescription and non-prescription mixed. Never have I had a problem and how would they know what’s, what’s anyway, is there a pharmacist at every check in?:rolleyes: No really will I have to take my meds in the original bottles? Hope not because they are huge.:eek:

Not sure, but I'll see you on the 9th!!! My mom and I are really looking forward to this cruise. Her first vacation ever! I'll be bringing my original bottles, I have a heart issue, but thanks for this post, I wouldn't have thought about this being a problem.

Have the meds in the orginal bottle. Write the meds and what they are for on a seprate sheet of paper along with your medical history and allergies to medications. That way if you have a medical emergency durning your travels or at home the proper care can be delivered quickly.

We just got back from a cruise where we had to fly. YES, put RX meds in the original bottles. If you have OTC drugs then keep them in the original bottles OR pack them in checked luggage. DO NOT PACK your RX meds in checked luggage, carry them with you. Most pharmacies will be able to give you a smaller bottle/container and a RX on it for the meds you take/purchase from them. That way you can take just what you need plus a couple extra and fill out your pill containers once on board the ship. That's what we did.

On our flight to the cruise, my meds were questioned and I also had to produce ID showing that the name on the bottle agreed with the name on my ID. So if your legal ID shows Elizabeth and your RX shows Betty (nickname) then they can take the meds away from you. I put my RX meds in a platic zip lock bag in my purse. That way when we got to the security check, I could just pull them out and put in the bin next to my purse. Same for my hubby, he carried his RX meds in a plastic zip lock and put that in a fanny pack.

Here's an update on the TSA site:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/9-25_updated_passenger_guidance.shtm

News & Happenings

Agency Adjusts Liquid Ban, Aviation Threat Level Remains High

Effective Tuesday, September 26, TSA Is Adjusting The Ban On Liquids, Aerosols And Gels

There are two major changes:

1. Travelers may now carry through security checkpoints travel-size toiletries (3 ounces or less) that fit comfortably in ONE, QUART-SIZE, clear plastic, zip-top bag.
  2. After clearing security, travelers can now bring beverages and other items purchased in the secure boarding area on-board aircraft.

At the checkpoint travelers will be asked to remove the zip-top bag of liquids and place it in a bin or on the conveyor belt. X-raying separately will allow TSA security officers to more easily examine the declared items.

bag_dimensions.jpg

In addition, larger amounts of prescription liquid medications, baby formula and diabetic glucose treatments must be declared at the checkpoint for additional screening.

It is unlikely that additional changes in the liquid, aerosol and gel policy will be made in the near future.

This security regimen applies to all domestic and international flights departing U.S. airports. Travelers should, however, check with transportation security authorities in their country-of-origin for flights originating at non-U.S. airports.

Travel Tips To Make Your Screening Experience Hassle-free

• The secret to getting through security smoothly is to de-clutter your carry-on bag. This lets our Transportation Security Officers get a clear, uncomplicated X-ray image of your carry-on.
  • When possible, keep packing liquids in checked baggage. You will get through security faster.
  • Limit quantities to what is needed for the duration of the flight.

Items purchased in the secure boarding are for use on the immediate flight. If you must leave the secure boarding area and re-enter through the screening checkpoint, items exceeding 3 ounces that are not in the zip-top bag will again be prohibited.

The ban on liquids, aerosols and gels was implemented on August 10 after a terrorist plot was foiled. Since then, experts from around the government, including the FBI and our national labs have analyzed the information we now have and have conducted extensive explosives testing to get a better understanding of this specific threat. These changes are intended to enhance security and balance human needs because we have a better understanding of the threat and security risks associated with liquids, aerosols and gels.

In addition, TSA will be enhancing security measures throughout the airport environment – more random screening of employees, additional canine patrols, stronger air cargo security measures, more rigorous identity verification, deploying more trained security officers in bomb appraisal, and screening by observation technique.

Know What To Expect

Make your screening experience as smooth as possible. Select a video to help you understand the screening process.

(WMV 3 MB)

(WMV 3 MB)

(WMV 3 MB)

(WMV 3 MB)

(WMV 3 MB)

We have never taken original bottles of meds when we travel. Between the two of us we have 11 prescriptions and always put them in the weekly containers you buy at a drug store. I do get a list of my prescriptions from my Dr., but DH doesn't. No one has ever looked at any of our drugs and we put them in our carry on.

Just to muddy the waters a bit, I, too, take several different prescriptions, including a narcotic pain medication. I have always left the pain meds in their original bottle and then bagged enough of the others to last me 9 days. But with the new restrictions, I called TSA in light of the new one only quart bag in the carry on rule. I was informed that all my meds had to be in their original containers, all in a single one quart zip lock bag and I had to have proper identification so there would be no question that they belong to me. Oh, and you have to declare medications you are carrying with you. If you don't, if you just leave them in your carry on and they're spotted in the xray, be prepared to get hassled by security for a half hour or so.

I also asked TSA about the one zip log bag rule and they said that if I use a single quart size zip lock for my meds, I am not allowed any others in my carryon. According to TSA, it's a one zip lock bag per traveler rule. This despite Delta telling me I can take more than one zip lock on board with me. But then again, Delta isn't manning the security gates. Anyone else have a thought on exactly how many zip lock (quart size) you can have in your carryon?

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
If you get stopped by police you can be arrested for having "substances" by prescription only you can't prove are yours and get charged with possession.

possession of high blood pressure medication:eek:

While on this topic, just a reminder that it is smart to take a few extra days worth of medicine along. (Think 9/11 where all air traffic was grounded for days or a hurricane that keeps you out to sea longer.)

Just to muddy the waters a bit, I, too, take several different prescriptions, including a narcotic pain medication. I have always left the pain meds in their original bottle and then bagged enough of the others to last me 9 days. But with the new restrictions, I called TSA in light of the new one only quart bag in the carry on rule. I was informed that all my meds had to be in their original containers, all in a single one quart zip lock bag and I had to have proper identification so there would be no question that they belong to me. Oh, and you have to declare medications you are carrying with you. If you don't, if you just leave them in your carry on and they're spotted in the xray, be prepared to get hassled by security for a half hour or so.

I also asked TSA about the one zip log bag rule and they said that if I use a single quart size zip lock for my meds, I am not allowed any others in my carryon. According to TSA, it's a one zip lock bag per traveler rule. This despite Delta telling me I can take more than one zip lock on board with me. But then again, Delta isn't manning the security gates. Anyone else have a thought on exactly how many zip lock (quart size) you can have in your carryon?

Okay, so pack your meds in the carryon & you should be able to get explaination of these drugs from the pharmacy that fills your perscriptions. Thjis information will also have you name/the med and tthe Doctor's name.

I usually set up medications, but guess with the new rules I won't do that. It is easier to "set them up" ahead of time, but if it's for our safety, then so be it.

Possibly the pharmacy can put a certin number in a smaller conatiner to save a little room. I have no porblem putting toiletries in the checked luagage, rather the shammpoo gets lost than my meds.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

:) Helpful. Thanks y'all for the good advice. I originally said I never carry the original bottles but, with all of this most recent airport security stuff, I think I will follow the masses and toss the original bottles in my carry on. I do have them divided in a pill holder in my checked luggage. However, I am carrying a large shoulder bag and these three bottles will not take up a lot of room and if it makes it easier to get on the plane, I am all for it.;)

Thanks again for all of the good input.

P.S. I must say, you Carnival folks are much nicer than some of those other cruiseline posters. I was trying to contribute on another cruiseline threads last year and all I ever go was flamed. No matter what I wrote, it stirred up an attack. I sworn off of Cruise Critic and am just now testing the cruise critic water again. You guys are funny and fun -- Just like Carnival's Fun Ships:cool:

Can anyone tell me if I will need to take all my medications in there original bottles both prescription and non-prescription.?

It is always best to take them in the original bottle because,

1) if a doctor needed to treat you, your family can show the doctor what you took before you past out.

2) It will give a Drug Enforcement Agent the correct info when their dog sniffs them out of your bags and you can prove they are yours and not purchased in a foreign country.

Archived