Turtle Farm AND Royal Palms?

mrscpbeal

We will be cruising the first week of August and I'll have my kids ages 16, 15, and 7. All of my kids love turtles (the 16 year old is into Oceanography). I would love for them to visit the turtle farm. However I also want some beach time as I must see 7 mile beach. Our ship is in port from 8-3pm. Will we have enough time for both. This is my first time cruising so I'm not sure what to expect. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Due to Grand Cayman being a tender port, your plan seems too ambitious. Royal Palms charges approx $35 for two chairs and an umbrella.

I would choose one of the two but not both the turtle farm and the beach, unless you just wanted to hang at the beach for no more than an hour.

Unless you are allowed to go out on the first tender, you would be losing valuable time and might not be able to disembark until after all the cruise ship tour people get off, unless your turtle farm tour IS through the cruise ship. Also, all aboard Time would be 2:30 meaning you would have to be on the last tender at 2:00.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Imho turtle farm and seven miles beach are doable. Even if you get off the ship at 9:30, drive to the farm is not too long. So you can do it till 11-11:30 and then spend about 1:30 at the beach. 12-1:30, getting back to the ship at 2 pm

IMO, you may want to just stop at Public Beach on your way back from the Turtle Farm, rather than Royal Palms. Rental prices are comparable at both places, but RP has a $2pp entry fee and PB is free, which might be better if you only have a shorter amount of time for the beach.

Also, RP has an adults-only pool, and many parents like to go elsewhere just so they can avoid the aggravation of having to explain repeatedly to their kids why they can't go in the pool.

I think it depends on how long you spend at the turtle farm. We did both w/ our 6yo - and even stopped for lunch between the turtle farm and the beach. Took a taxi to turtle farm, bus to Public Beach, and taxi back to ship.

If you're on MSC Divina they do an excursion that is a VIP 'save a turtle' and I think a lobster lunch. You get to go with a charity and dig out weak hatchlings. If you're not with MSC do a search online but it sounds ideal for your 16 year old.

It sounds like there is enough to do at the turtle farm. Just do all they have and do the beach somewhere else. FYI it took us 35 minutes standing in line to get on a tender. Find out from your ship the day before what the process is for tendering so that you may be able to get off earlier than some.