Hertz Car Rental at Halifax Pier

trident one

Has anyone rented from Hertz at 1099 Marginal Road in Halifax, NS?

Looks like it is very close to pier 21 at the port.

If you rented from them, how easy was it to get to from the pier and how quickly did you receive your paperwork and car?

Will be there 7/13/15 and 7/23/15 and it looks like the Veendam will be only cruise ship in port on those days.

How strict are they on speed limit enforcement outside the city?

Thinking of driving out to Lunenburg and Mahone Bay one day and touring city and Peggy's Cove on the other day in port.

Hertz is at the Marriott Hotel. You can walk there from where your ship is docked. Look for an outdoor parking lot behind the hotel and you should see a back entrance there.

I have seen no mention of Hertz but many have rented from other dealers in this location with no problem. You are very lucky if you are the only ship in port.

Our roads are not conducive to speeding except perhaps on the 100 series highways. The police are fairly strict.

I would suggest taking the coastal roads down to Lunenburg and the main highway back if you are short of time. You could include Peggy's Cove easily on this day if you wish.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Halifax+Marriott+Harbourfront+Hotel,+Upper+Water+Street,+Halifax,+NS&daddr=44.6468078,-63.6432885+to:44.681465,-63.809291+to:Peggys+Cove,+NS+to:Mahone+Bay,+NS+to:Lunenburg,+NS+to:44.5293813,-64.3094988+to:44.5605533,-64.2795878+to:44.552904,-64.2474117+to:44.5075375,-64.0563174+to:44.663303,-63.9343744+to:Halifax+Marriott+Harbourfront+Hotel,+Upper+Water+Street,+Halifax,+NS&hl=en&sll=44.543875,-63.996233&sspn=0.572575,1.352692&geocode=FXZRqQIdSfE1_CGs5w6zNVMHQilPpn_7zSNaSzGs5w6zNVMHQg%3BFZdBqQIdaOE0_Cnjxi5otyFaSzFPDN3UMGC4gg%3BFfnIqQId9Vgy_Cm_2xB8XotZSzGv0Tf47wqP8A%3BFernpgIdRLIw_CnlsFTY6QJaSzFmhYBMEgaDaw%3BFcI9pgIdPJsp_Cn7Y_qvyl9XSzGf5BZFz_TFyg%3BFa0jpQIdjZIq_ClD0a4gwVtXSzHrTTCtT3o5Vg%3BFeV2pwIdBrcq_CkRYH-PleBZSzF0w-1kf_g5SQ%3BFanwpwId3Ssr_Cm_4WAxaOdZSzGQnFy0Xf4ayw%3BFcjSpwIdjakr_ClLeFr3H-dZSzGcxR1L0H8kwQ%3BFZEhpwIdA5Qu_CkFLALYcvtZSzG_FO9GOQ_nvA%3BFQeCqQIdWnAw_ClxVw_3jvJZSzFTmQt8GrTq2g%3BFXZRqQIdSfE1_CGs5w6zNVMHQilPpn_7zSNaSzGs5w6zNVMHQg&oq=marriott&mra=dpe&mrsp=6&sz=10&via=1,2,6,7,8,9,10&t=m&z=10

Hertz is at the Marriott Hotel. You can walk there from where your ship is docked. Look for an outdoor parking lot behind the hotel and you should see a back entrance there.

I have seen no mention of Hertz but many have rented from other dealers in this location with no problem. You are very lucky if you are the only ship in port.

Our roads are not conducive to speeding except perhaps on the 100 series highways. The police are fairly strict.

I would suggest taking the coastal roads down to Lunenburg and the main highway back if you are short of time. You could include Peggy's Cove easily on this day if you wish.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Halifax+Marriott+Harbourfront+Hotel,+Upper+Water+Street,+Halifax,+NS&daddr=44.6468078,-63.6432885+to:44.681465,-63.809291+to:Peggys+Cove,+NS+to:Mahone+Bay,+NS+to:Lunenburg,+NS+to:44.5293813,-64.3094988+to:44.5605533,-64.2795878+to:44.552904,-64.2474117+to:44.5075375,-64.0563174+to:44.663303,-63.9343744+to:Halifax+Marriott+Harbourfront+Hotel,+Upper+Water+Street,+Halifax,+NS&hl=en&sll=44.543875,-63.996233&sspn=0.572575,1.352692&geocode=FXZRqQIdSfE1_CGs5w6zNVMHQilPpn_7zSNaSzGs5w6zNVMHQg%3BFZdBqQIdaOE0_Cnjxi5otyFaSzFPDN3UMGC4gg%3BFfnIqQId9Vgy_Cm_2xB8XotZSzGv0Tf47wqP8A%3BFernpgIdRLIw_CnlsFTY6QJaSzFmhYBMEgaDaw%3BFcI9pgIdPJsp_Cn7Y_qvyl9XSzGf5BZFz_TFyg%3BFa0jpQIdjZIq_ClD0a4gwVtXSzHrTTCtT3o5Vg%3BFeV2pwIdBrcq_CkRYH-PleBZSzF0w-1kf_g5SQ%3BFanwpwId3Ssr_Cm_4WAxaOdZSzGQnFy0Xf4ayw%3BFcjSpwIdjakr_ClLeFr3H-dZSzGcxR1L0H8kwQ%3BFZEhpwIdA5Qu_CkFLALYcvtZSzG_FO9GOQ_nvA%3BFQeCqQIdWnAw_ClxVw_3jvJZSzFTmQt8GrTq2g%3BFXZRqQIdSfE1_CGs5w6zNVMHQilPpn_7zSNaSzGs5w6zNVMHQg&oq=marriott&mra=dpe&mrsp=6&sz=10&via=1,2,6,7,8,9,10&t=m&z=10

Thank you for your reply Maryann,

On my AAA site there is a Hertz location right at the pier, looks like it might be attached to building #10 Immigration Annex, at least it is listed on the port site map. Of course, I have no idea how current that is. Will be calling them soon when I am sure we will be going the rental car route.

Unless I read the port schedule wrong we should be the only ship (Veendam) in port on the 13th & 23rd of July 2015.

Do you think 5 hours is a realistic roundtrip time frame. If ship docks on time and we can be at Hertz and on our way by 10am we really have a 7 hour window to play with before returning to ship. Because we will be in Halifax two different days I could split the trips up.

Also interested in the cemetery with the Titanic graves, Citadel and the anchor monument from the explosion

MaryAnn,

We are renting a car in Halifax in Sept and plan to do this exact route. From Peggy's Cove to Halifax, it looks like route 333 cuts across to the northeast. Would that be a good way to go back instead of going straight north to meet up with Rt 103? It looks like it would be shorter.

Maryann, thanks for the advice. I hadn't considered that the road might be bad, I just wanted to avoid retracing our route. By the time we get to Peggy's Cove, I doubt we'll have an hour to spare so I guess we'll stick to going back along the coast the way we came.

• 1 month later...

Just an update for this thread. We were in Halifax a few weeks ago and organised a car through Hertz. Their little office is in a building just out the front of the cruise terminal on the main road. It is not a standard rental car office, just a little desk inside a building. We had an excellent experience. The car was brand new, lovely staff, and very very convenient. Highly recommend this for anyone looking for a rental vehicle while on a cruise stop!!! Much closer than any other rental car company too!

:):):)

Just an update for this thread. We were in Halifax a few weeks ago and organised a car through Hertz. Their little office is in a building just out the front of the cruise terminal on the main road. It is not a standard rental car office, just a little desk inside a building. We had an excellent experience. The car was brand new, lovely staff, and very very convenient. Highly recommend this for anyone looking for a rental vehicle while on a cruise stop!!! Much closer than any other rental car company too!

:):):)

Brucory, I am very interested in whether you reserved ahead of time of if you walked in cold. I had a car reserved with them for 7/13/15 . Found out by accident today while on the phone with Hertz Gold Card that this office will be closed on 7/13/15. Office never notified me nor can I reach them on the phone. Needless to say I canceled the 13th reservation online with Hertz. I also have a car reserved with them for the 23rd of July and I am feeling quite anxious right now. I chose them because they were so close and two in our party have mobility problems.

Any answers/help will be greatly appreciated. Especially since the other couple

are so very, very leery about renting a car, as they only do ship tours. I have convinced them this is doable so I really need for everything to go smoothly.

Thank,

Peg

If you rent with Enterprise they pick you up. The other rentals in the Westin Hotel/VIA Rail building are very close. You could arrange to get the car and pick up your friends if they do not want to do this short walk. https://www.google.ca/maps/search/car+rental+halifax+downtown/@44.646366,-63.5761302,15z/data=!3m1!4b1

If you rent with Enterprise they pick you up. The other rentals in the Westin Hotel/VIA Rail building are very close. You could arrange to get the car and pick up your friends if they do not want to do this short walk. https://www.google.ca/maps/search/car+rental+halifax+downtown/@44.646366,-63.5761302,15z/data=!3m1!4b1

Yes, I know enterprise picks up. I have to get the car as quickly as possible as this couple is PARANOID about being off the ship on a non ship sponsored tour. Definitely have to be back to the ship by 2pm and they would prefer 1pm from our little jaunt out to peggy's cove so we don't miss our 4pm sail time.

• 2 months later...

Maryann ns. I'm thinking of renting with Enterprise. There is the one across the street but with Expedia the better rate is coming ftom the Enterprise at the Scotia Mall location. Is that doable logistically? They will pick me up at the pier? Then when I drop the car off I'm just wondering how I'll get back to the ship. Do they drive me back, take a cab?

Maryann ns. I'm thinking of renting with Enterprise. There is the one across the street but with Expedia the better rate is coming ftom the Enterprise at the Scotia Mall location. Is that doable logistically? They will pick me up at the pier? Then when I drop the car off I'm just wondering how I'll get back to the ship. Do they drive me back, take a cab?

They'll normally pick you up and drop you off, but you may have to wait a bit until there's someone available to drive you back. Scotia Square is about a 5-7 minute drive from the cruise port.

The walk back to the cruise port from Scotia Square is about 20-25 minutes, which might be quicker than waiting, and you can follow the boardwalk the whole way. It's a gorgeous walk, with lots to see along the way, and could easily turn into a 2 hour or more meander.

Edited by Fouremco

They'll normally pick you up and drop you off, but you may have to wait a bit until there's someone available to drive you back. Scotia Square is about a 5-7 minute drive from the cruise port.

The walk back to the cruise port from Scotia Square is about 20-25 minutes, which might be quicker than waiting, and you can follow the boardwalk the whole way. It's a gorgeous walk, with lots to see along the way, and could easily turn into a 2 hour or more meander.

Oh thank you that sounds great! Now to figure out an itinerary. Would like to see the Titanic sites( Martime Museum and Cemetary) and Peggy's Cove. It sounds best to get to Peggy's Cove early then come back to Halifax to see its sites. But I would also like to try Ryers for lobster. I'm a little nervous about getting back from Peggy's Cove at a reasonable time, not getting lost or in slow moving traffic.

Oh thank you that sounds great! Now to figure out an itinerary. Would like to see the Titanic sites( Martime Museum and Cemetary) and Peggy's Cove. It sounds best to get to Peggy's Cove early then come back to Halifax to see its sites. But I would also like to try Ryers for lobster. I'm a little nervous about getting back from Peggy's Cove at a reasonable time, not getting lost or in slow moving traffic.

The Maritime Museum is on the boardwalk on your walk back from Scotia Square, so that's easy to fit in later in the afternoon, last stop before reboarding.

My recommendation normally would be to get out to Peggy's Cove as early as possible. It's an easy drive out and back and very well sign-posted, so don't worry about getting lost. However, as you'd like to have lunch at Ryer Lobster, I'd be inclined to go to the cemetery first, then to Peggy's Cove and on to Ryer's. After lunch, drive back to drop off the car and head off to the boardwalk.

The total drive itself will take about 2 to 2.5 hours, depending on traffic, to which you can add whatever time it takes at each of your stops. If you think that's going to be too long a day, I'd recommend dropping the cemetery, but that's just personal preference. The museum was a five-minute walk from my office, and I've never been bored there after countless visit, and Peggy's Cove is iconic; you can't make your first visit to Halifax without visiting Peggy's Cove!

I would skip breakfast (or just have a muffin or similar) get to Peggy's Cove asap before the crowds, have an early lunch at Ryer's and then head back into Halifax to the cemetery, drop off the car and walk back along the waterfront, stopping in at the Maritime Museum.

This way if you have any problems or delays with your drive it will be earlier in the day.

• 3 weeks later...
brucory do you have a phone number for the Hertz location at the pier? We are very interested in booking for that location.

The phone number is 902-422-8775 Port Office

I booked through Hertz.com. You will want to make sure you do the port location. It is a small one person office, on Marginal Street, very easy to get to from the pier. You will definitely need to have a reservation. Really stress that you want the car their at that location for your pick up time, sometimes they have to bring the car down from their location at the Marriott up on Water Street. This could delay you a good 20 minutes if traffic is heavy.

We rented from them twice in July, did not stay in town, so I really can't help you with parking etc. if that is your plan. Out of town the roads are well marked and the drive on lighthouse road has some beautiful sights.

Hope your time there is as bright, balmy and beautiful as ours was.

The phone number is 902-422-8775 Port Office

I booked through Hertz.com. You will want to make sure you do the port location. It is a small one person office, on Marginal Street, very easy to get to from the pier. You will definitely need to have a reservation. Really stress that you want the car their at that location for your pick up time, sometimes they have to bring the car down from their location at the Marriott up on Water Street. This could delay you a good 20 minutes if traffic is heavy.

We rented from them twice in July, did not stay in town, so I really can't help you with parking etc. if that is your plan. Out of town the roads are well marked and the drive on lighthouse road has some beautiful sights.

Hope your time there is as bright, balmy and beautiful as ours was.

We just used them last week and they did not have any cars there and there were 3 groups waiting. We had to wait 20 min. The employee did not normally work there so she had no clue. I felt bad for her bc people were ticked.

Edited by jude8

We just used them last week and they did not have any cars there and there were 3 groups waiting. We had to wait 20 min. The employee did not normally work there so she had no clue. I felt bad for her bc people were ticked.

I will agree that it isn't the most organized office.

I think we were lucky as we were the only ship in port the two days I used them. I also had the advantage of instilling in them that we would be back the next week and I expected the car there at the time I specified, and it was. Possibly, because we were the first to pick up our car( within 10 minutes of the gangway opening) on both mornings is why we had no problems.

I don't know if it is any better by going up to the Marriott or not. If renting, using the Marriott location I would take a cab up as the walk is longer then you think.

The problem is that this location is only open during the cruise season and I think the employees from the Marriott and the airport take turns staffing it.

The Via Rail station and the car rental places are at the Westin Hotel, not the Marriott. I think it was my mistake at the beginning of this thread.

If you enter the Westin via the back parking lot it is a very short walk and not worth taking a taxi.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Pier+21+Nation+Builder+Plaza,+Halifax,+NS+B3H+4P7/The+Westin+Nova+Scotian,+Halifax,+NS/@44.6392896,-63.5680031,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b5a224942585d63:0x768d098a5b87f0b3!2m2!1d-63.5654569!2d44.6382215!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b5a224a0403dbb5:0xf65e40e918b64a3a!2m2!1d-63.5682457!2d44.6402922!3e2

Edited by maryann ns

The Via Rail station and the car rental places are at the Westin Hotel, not the Marriott. I think it was my mistake at the beginning of this thread.

If you enter the Westin via the back parking lot it is a very short walk and not worth taking a taxi.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Pier+21+Nation+Builder+Plaza,+Halifax,+NS+B3H+4P7/The+Westin+Nova+Scotian,+Halifax,+NS/@44.6392896,-63.5680031,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b5a224942585d63:0x768d098a5b87f0b3!2m2!1d-63.5654569!2d44.6382215!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b5a224a0403dbb5:0xf65e40e918b64a3a!2m2!1d-63.5682457!2d44.6402922!3e2

You are right Maryann if you are renting from Thrifty. It is at the Westin.

The Hertz locations are at the port, Marriott and the airport. Unless you sprint like a cheetah I think taking a cab is the best way if you are renting from Hertz at the Marriott location.