"companion dogs"

Knickearth

My friend Bob and his wife travel on Royal Caribbean a lot and have noticed a lot of people with dogs lately. These are not service dogs, but companion dogs because they can't stand to leave them home. On a personal note, I dislike the thought of dogs on board unless they are authenticated service dogs. I live in a community that the dogs outnumber the humans and most humans here can't be bothered to train the dogs not to bark.

Anyone else have this experience on other cruise lines. I travel a lot on Princess and haven't noticed it at all. Bob says they have some special box area for the dogs as well. He thinks all cruise lines probably allow for this.

If I hear one dog bark, I might go ballistic.

Just curious about this.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

My friend Bob and his wife travel on Royal Caribbean a lot and have noticed a lot of people with dogs lately. These are not service dogs, but companion dogs because they can't stand to leave them home. On a personal note, I dislike the thought of dogs on board unless they are authenticated service dogs. I live in a community that the dogs outnumber the humans and most humans here can't be bothered to train the dogs not to bark.

Anyone else have this experience on other cruise lines. I travel a lot on Princess and haven't noticed it at all. Bob says they have some special box area for the dogs as well. He thinks all cruise lines probably allow for this.

Just curious about this.

Yes a lot of people so self centred they will cheat (not just with dogs either).

But

How does your friend know they weren't service dogs?

And you may be going ballistic, because believe it or not dogs bark. Service dogs might even bark, sometimes that bark for attention is one of the things they are trained to do (some seizure dogs when the handler actually has a seizure being one example) or even when off duty.

Just curious about this.

Okay Knickearth

If a dog barking will make you go ballistic....................

Look up Misophonia, it is a real disorder...I suffer from.

Repetative noises drive me to implode.

Dogs barking, birds tweeting ...people whisteling....... tapping

Not fun and not understood! :(

Hope you do not have it! If you do ,earphones are your friend :)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Yes a lot of people so self centred they will cheat (not just with dogs either).

But

How does your friend know they weren't service dogs?

And you may be going ballistic, because believe it or not dogs bark. Service dogs might even bark, sometimes that bark for attention is one of the things they are trained to do (some seizure dogs when the handler actually has a seizure being one example) or even when off duty.

Hi Gut

Here in lies the problem, you can say your animal is a service dog.

Who is going to challenge you?

I totally agree, trained service dogs are a god send....... think the OP is talking about aunt sally's little lap dog.

You know the one trained not to do anything but yap!!

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Trained service dogs usually have paperwork that says what they are trained for. If you can't provide proof of training . Yes the owners should be denied boarding for breaking the law.

Hi Kamloops50

From what I hear you can get that paper work on the internet:(

Reader

Hi Gut

Here in lies the problem, you can say your animal is a service dog.

Who is going to challenge you?

I totally agree, trained service dogs are a god send....... think the OP is talking about aunt sally's little lap dog.

You know the one trained not to do anything but yap!!

Reader

Trained service dogs usually have paperwork that says what they are trained for. If you can't provide proof of training . Yes the owners should be denied boarding for breaking the law.

It seems a big problem with the ADA, they can't require proof or registration as a service dog, to me it seems a crazy bit of legislation.

Hi Kamloops50

From what I hear you can get that paper work on the internet:(

Reader

Yes you can. The paperwork I have seen has a raised stamp on it.

Cruie lines probably don't know the difference anyway.

It seems a big problem with the ADA, they can't require proof or registration as a service dog, to me it seems a crazy bit of legislation.

I know right! Feel bad for peeps who really need their service dogs!

Just like handicap spaces in the US everyone has a placard:rolleyes:

What about the person who really needs it!!!

Yes you can. The paperwork I have seen has a raised stamp on it.

Cruie lines probably don't know the difference anyway.

I am sure they do not, nor do they care

:( All about the mighty buck!

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

I know right! Feel bad for peeps who really need their service dogs!

Just like handicap spaces in the US everyone has a placard:rolleyes:

What about the person who really needs it!!!

I've got a parking permit, have to be having a pretty bad day to use it, always figure if I can make do with a normal park it leaves a space for someone who really needs it.

I've got a parking permit, have to be having a pretty bad day to use it, always figure if I can make do with a normal park it leaves a space for someone who really needs it.

Gut if you need it you should get it...

57 year old female here ,with multiple health issues, work 40 hours a week and could easily get a handicap placard but do not need to yet!:) Save it for peeps having a worse day than I am :)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598